Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ball joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
I want to do the ball joints while doing the sway bar because one of the rubber boots is torn.My question is after looking at the view of the front end in the Haynes book,whitch parts will i really need to do the job right?
detoxcowboy
New Ball Joints (not sure what comes in the box..der I forgot) but you will need new ball joint threaded pins and lock nut ect.., they are not supposed to be reused.. her is a pic showing the washer but the pin and nut are pictured up close in the downloads, you failed to mention year of car or type of sway bar or what you doing with it..

911-341-119-06-M260 Threaded Pin, for Ball Joint Attachment (2 per car, sold individually) 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (07/72-76), 914-6 (06/72 on), Each [More Info]
Brand: OEM
Ball Joint Mounting Hardware
[view in catalog] $17.75

900-089-006-02-OEM Washer, for Ball Joint Threaded Pin (2 per car, sold individually) 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (07/72-76), 914-6 (06/72 on), Each [More Info]
Brand: Genuine Porsche
Ball Joint Mounting Hardware
[view in catalog] $0.75

999-084-019-02-M260 Lock Nut, for Ball Joint Threaded Pin (2 per car, sold individually) 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (07/72-76), 914-6 (06/72 on), Each [More Info]
Brand: OEM

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
McMark
IIRC 72 is the cross over year for ball joints. You'll need to see if yours have pinch bolts or V-bolts.
tomh
every thing I own seems to be "the crossover year"makes figuring out all this stuff way more fun,thanks to you guys.
I'm checking with Rich at HPH for a sway bar,see what he comes up with first then go from there,he's been more than helpful to me.

will I need a front end alignment after the new ball joints?
detoxcowboy
Yes on the allighnment, that is what I was told, might as well do all you can due to the front suspension then get an allighnment. No matter what you screw with on the front suspension it throws off whatever you did have.. Same with raising or lowering your front end.. It may not be so immeadiately percievable up front but the changes are present and may in effect be slight and in the least case cause earlier than neccessary tire replacement.. with new ball joints and the introduction of a sway bar getting an allighment would be wisely reccomended as then you would have a standard to measure your future front end needs to.. then you will know what right is and be able to percieve wrong more accurately..
tomh
sounds like good advice.I had never done front end work myself on any of my other cars but the costs are getting so high its time to do every thing I can myself.Thanks
detoxcowboy
You can do it! Yourself! Ball Joints Tie rods Sway Bar Struts Ride Heightect.. But a precise allighnment is difficult without the precise instruments.. or a truely flat surface.. Seems like all the roads and parking lots are sloped slightly for runnoff or whatever..

Here is an interesting article on home allighnment, that if nothing else offers a little insight as to the interplay...

http://raystrax.com/ha/914/Align914_Forward.html
hwgunner
Make sure you get the best price on them ball joints! beerchug.gif (shameless, I know)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.