Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lubrication Tales?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stewteral
Hi All,

I'm just replacing my 4th cam in my Chevy Small Block powered 914 and learned it was all due to the REDUCTION of the Zinc anti-wear additive ZDDP.

Given that the Chevy was designed by a bunch of Tight-Asses who wanted ONLY to save cost, thus the NARROW cam lobe widths and High cam-loading compared to the 411 engine, but have there any number of lost cams for 914 owners?

In my 2nd, restoration 914, I just put $1000 into a fresh COMPLETE rebuild and am very nervous about firing it up on anything but Brad Penn Oil (which has a great ZDDP level in it from the factory).

So what is the 914 experience out there?

Thanks,
Terry
Bleyseng
as well you should be nervous of using ANYTHING but Brad Penn racing oil or Jake's Snake oil.

Yes, there was a problem with bad cam blanks and lifters plus the change in the amount of ZDDP a while ago that caused a ton of cam failures in 914's.
Jake Raby
I'm just replacing my 4th cam in my Chevy Small Block powered 914 and learned it was all due to the REDUCTION of the Zinc anti-wear additive ZDDP.

You just learned that?? We've been posting about this since 2002!
edwin
I was reading this bulletin on the Penrite oil website the other day.
Here in Aus Brad Penn is very light on the ground and i would prefer to run something that is easier to get.
I've been running this in my last few cars for years and have been very impressed as has my boss and serveral friends.
Prob not an easy brand for you guys to get but it is more the point that the new regs dont mean the oils out there are bad.
Edwin
Andyrew
Do a web search on engine break in oils, i think chevy reccomends some concentrate of that stuff which i used on my engine. I am not sure if it is still availible but something to research..

Good luck! Sorry about your bad luck on cams!
VaccaRabite
I have been reading SBC rebuild threads all over the net lately and all of them seem to be saying to stay away from flat tappet cams due to the modern oil issues.

Brad Penn should solve those issues for cam break-in.

Zach
stewteral
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 15 2011, 11:49 PM) *

You just learned that?? We've been posting about this since 2002!

Hey Jake,

NO, I knew about the decreased ZDDP since 2001, but I was speaking Chevy then.
Now that I'm restoring another '73, I'm thinking in "411" too.

BTW: it is astounding to see how over-designed the 411 engine is compated to the Chevy V-8! All bearing sizes except rods are LARGER, while the rods are the about the same. Cam lobe & lifter sizing is MUCH larger. Too bad GM didn't bring in a few Germans when designing the Small Block. Now I understand some of the changes that must be inside the Chevy NASCAR race engines.

Best,
Terry
stewteral
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 16 2011, 11:24 AM) *

I have been reading SBC rebuild threads all over the net lately and all of them seem to be saying to stay away from flat tappet cams due to the modern oil issues.

Brad Penn should solve those issues for cam break-in.

Zach

Hey Zach,

AMEN! I've given up on the low cost flat tappet cam and my new EXPENSIVE ($800+) roller hydraulic cam, lifters and push-rods will arrive TODAY.

In addition to getting away from the cam failure issue, the roller cam gets the valves open much quicker than the flat tappet to improve breathing. Whether it's
$800 of better breathing I've yet to find out. smile.gif

Thanks,
Terry
ScottD914
I'll be firing up my new rebuild within a few weeks. I have a ZDDP additive sitting on the shelf. Any issues with this stuff or should I stick with Brad Penn for the break in?
SD
indianmort
i run shell rottella 15/40 in all my motorcycles and cars and have not had any problems. a gent i work with runs the same in his vintage ferraris and dusenberg and swears by it. i was told that oils specifically for diesels still contain the mineral package that prevents premature wear. additionally it is available both cheaply and locally at tractor supply. fwiw.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(indianmort @ Feb 16 2011, 01:09 PM) *

i run shell rottella 15/40 in all my motorcycles and cars and have not had any problems. a gent i work with runs the same in his vintage ferraris and dusenberg and swears by it. i was told that oils specifically for diesels still contain the mineral package that prevents premature wear. additionally it is available both cheaply and locally at tractor supply. fwiw.

Accelerated wear and failure are two different things.. Since 2007 Rotella hasn't been anything special.

Drive it 160K and tear it down.. If your rod bearings, cam lobes and lifters are good enough to reuse, then you have something. Thats what I did.
J P Stein
If you buy a cam & kit from a good company, they will give you very specific cam break in instructions as part of the deal. One comment here leads me to believe that someone is expecting BP oil to suffice for cam break in.....it doesn't. A molybdenum based grease usually comes with a good kit specifically for break in.....use it, lots is good on all wear surfaces. Also the 2000 rpm for 20 minutes...non stop...... is another needed aid. Then ZDDP heavy oil will do you some good. I've never had a cam go flat in any SBC, Ford, or porsche motor.
It's much tougher to seat rings.......but a couple hundred miles on Non-detergent oil (BP makes that also) takes care of that.

I've turned SBCs over 9k rpms with flat tappet cams. Used to bust pushrods (back in the day) but we never had flat cams. Someone has a problem but it ain't Chevy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.