2.7 CIS Motor
Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 15 2011, 09:36 AM) *

What's the purpose of this tube?

2.7 CIS Motor

Look like air injection into the head for emission control
Eric_Shea
agree.gif The dreaded 2.7 thermal motor.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 15 2011, 07:36 AM) *

What's the purpose of this tube?

2.7 CIS Motor
Click to view attachment

probably pinched off years ago if the air pump is gone.
remove and plug at each head.
Eric_Shea
remove and plug at each head

agree.gif 10x1 if I recall. The cap we use for the back of the 914 caliper is perfect for this.
Scott S
Ugh. Ask Ferg how much fun that project can be. Buy some dental tools........
kconway
Thanks! From the comments, sounds like a motor to stay away from for a conversion?
Scott S
There are definitely better - but I am using using a 2.7 for my conversion. The price was right and thankfully all of the 2.7 stuff that needed to be addressed was done by the previous owner (less a couple of exhaust studs!!). Here is pic - I am just a clutch and a set of 914-6 engine tins away from installing it in the car. Hoping for a fun summer! driving.gif
JmuRiz
Ooooo, those clear f-glass tins are cool!
You're much further along with your 2.7 than I am.
Eric_Shea
sounds like a motor to stay away from for a conversion?

Depends. Buy it right.
Ferg
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 15 2011, 09:56 AM) *

Ugh. Ask Ferg how much fun that project can be. Buy some dental tools........

headbang.gif those tubes that go into the head are super thin, as in hollow, anything more than a "tiny" effort to remove them will result in them snapping leaving threads in the head, I had 3 of 6 snap, 2 of those came out with a reverse bit the last one was hell, dental picks and all.

pcar916
If you do decide to use that motor there are plugs for those air-injection ports. Engine Builder's Supply used to have 'em but they were available from lots of folks.

I had a really nice 2.7L (Bruce Anderson spec) motor in my 914 when I bought it. It was great fun and built to overcome the limitations of the original. But it'll never have the legs (mileage) that a later motor will. I'd never put less than a 3.2L motor in one now unless a really fun 2.7 cropped up. Any more I'm used to having more torque. Kinda makes going back a bit tough.

To build a 2.7L motor up properly will cost as much or more than a later motor, although the conversion costs differ a little. The magnesium case has to align-bored (and possibly shaved first) and after oil pump updates and other mods you will still get a motor that can't last as long as a newer one. For some years shuffle-pinning was recommended for those cases until it was discovered that there wasn't enough of a "boss" (material surrounding the pin) to keep lots of the cases from cracking at the pin.

All of this said though, the sound of a 2.7 and smaller motor through a sport exhaust or megaphones is impossible to duplicate with a larger motor. I miss it.
Good luck
Dr Evil
The 2.7 is a fun and cheap motor. I got one, rebuilt it, did not throw the expensive upgrades into it: newer oil pump, oil fed chain tensioners. The upgrades are better, but not necessary. I got a 74, so no thermal reactor BS to deal with. The 74 is a healthy engine to start with. I rebuilt my engine for less than $3k buy educating myself and seeking out experience vs regurgitated hearsay. Another good thing about a 2.7 is that you do not need an oil cooler. It is the biggest you can go without needing one.
kconway
I think I'm going with a 2.4 at this point instead of this one that Ron's hooking me up with...
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 15 2011, 03:48 PM) *

Another good thing about a 2.7 is that you do not need an oil cooler. It is the biggest you can go without needing one.

I always thought that until about 3.0 you were still safe?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.