Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Rotors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Ok....

So time for yet another dumb ass question....Trying to remove the rear rotors from "Project Rusty" I have already removed the large 30mm nut from the rear spindles...I see two slotted set screws that I THINK are holding the rear rotors on? IF that is the case, what is the best way to remove them....impact driver or is there something else Im missing? Do I need a puller to get the rotors off? confused24.gif

Thanks for the help...

Steve
Jeffs9146
I would spray some PBlaster on them and let them sit for a while, then remove the screw and tap with a hammer as you pull them off!

It sounds like they are rusted on!

PS: No need to remove the large center nut!! Just the calipers!
Cap'n Krusty
Remove the screws. You don't have to remove the large axle nut to get the rotors off. Using an impact driver is a good idea. Unless the rust is really bad, they should come off easily once the screws are removed.The Cap'n
914 shifter
remove to screws then bang/tap around the rotor with a lump hammer
bandjoey
Agree. Hammer impact or hand impact after a small soak in PB Blaster. Otherwise you'll strip out the slot head. You can still get these new from the normal sources.
Eric_Shea
impact driver

Indeed. I wish more people thought like you. You wouldn't believe the shape of some of the hub cores we got back! biggrin.gif

Use a MAPP torch and get everything good and red. As it's cooling down, use the impact driver.
quadracerx
YAY....good news...I got the rotors off...PB Blaster is magic...LOL Although even with the impact driver I was only able to get 3 out of 4 out....had to drill out the last one...but its all good, need to run a tap into the axle flange but it will be fine...man...guess I call her "Project Rusty" for a reason....

Thanks again for your help....now I move on to front suspension and then dash removal....That wont begin until the weekend though at the earliest...

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.