Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: im stumped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
after a couple of hours, i give up.

heres my problem, my turn signal idiot light quit working. if i pull the emergency flasher switch, the switch flashes, the idiot light flashes along with all of the outside lamps.

if i turn the turn signal switch to the right- i get one flash from the idiot light and thats it....the relay is ticking and both of the front and rear outside lamps flash.

same thing with the left side, 1 flash from the idiot light then it goes out, but the relay ticks away as well as the left outside lamps.

i need to mention that the relay ticks at its normal pace. when the turn signals are on as well as the emergency flashers. i have replaced all of the turn signal lamps as well as the idiot lamp with the proper lamps. and cleaned all the sockets with emery cloth.

what kills me is the damn idiot light flashes when the E flasher switch is pulled. so i know that it is working. also all of the turn signals work and flash. just not the idiot light.

any ideas befor i plunk down 55 bucks for a new flasher relay?
jim_hoyland
See if this helps: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...47236&st=10

I've used the information to solve several issues and do a mod. smile.gif
SirAndy
Just curious, with the engine running, after the one flash, if you rev the engine above 2500rpm (or more), does it start to flash correctly???

idea.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 15 2011, 05:18 PM) *

Just curious, with the engine running, after the one flash, if you rev the engine above 2500rpm (or more), does it start to flash correctly???

idea.gif

negative. rpm has no effect.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 15 2011, 05:00 PM) *

See if this helps: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...47236&st=10

I've used the information to solve several issues and do a mod. smile.gif

thanks jim. BOOKMARKED!
mrbubblehead
from what i can tell, the secondary relay is not sensing the load of the 2 turn signal lamps. but it does sense it with the 4 E flasher lamps. hummm?

i guess i could add a nother lamp in the turn signal circuit and see if it draws enuff current to trigger the secondary relay.

either way, it looks like a new combo relay is in order. damn.
Mike Bellis
You have a bad relay based on your description. The flasher relay is actually two relays in one case. The first relay flashes the signal lamps. The second relay flashes the dash lamp. There is also a small circuit board inside the case.

Your relay is bad. You can continue to use it until it fails compltetly but you will end up leaving them on all the time.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 15 2011, 05:38 PM) *

You have a bad relay based on your description. The flasher relay is actually two relays in one case. The first relay flashes the signal lamps. The second relay flashes the dash lamp. There is also a small circuit board inside the case.

Your relay is bad. You can continue to use it until it fails compltetly but you will end up leaving them on all the time.

ya i figured.....i just ordered one. i had a choice between, a chinese one or og hella.

i got the hella.
John
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 15 2011, 05:38 PM) *

Your relay is bad. You can continue to use it until it fails completely but you will end up leaving them on all the time.

+1

That's the old sign of a bad flasher relay.....
mrbubblehead
ok, now here is something weird. with the key off, if i turn the turn signal on, left or right, my running lights come on.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Feb 15 2011, 06:38 PM) *
ok, now here is something weird. with the key off, if i turn the turn signal on, left or right, my running lights come on.

Not weird at all. That's how the parking lights work on all European cars ... shades.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 15 2011, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Feb 15 2011, 06:38 PM) *

Not weird at all. That's how the parking lights work on all European cars ... shades.gif

no kidding? im gonna go check my vw's right now.

i thought something jacked up confused24.gif hehe
mrbubblehead
SORTED! plugged a new relay in and waalaa. the idiot light is flashing. cross another item off the list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.