Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Consoles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Were some of these made from plywood?
ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
madd_dogg_914
I believe that the stock ones were made of a 1/4 inch pressed board, more like cardboard (strong, but flimsy. I have heard of people making them aftermarket with either plywood or MDF. The fake vinyl stiching is a good way to tell if yours is stock or not. Also under the vinyl along the edges there is like a plastic cap (I know this because mine is seperating there). I remeber a post not too long ago about someone wanting to make some in Canada and ship small batches (his mom was gonna do the sewing) Just do a search!

-Chris
anthony
I just found some closely matching vinyl in order to recover an extra factory console I have. It looks like it will be pretty easy to do though there's no way to duplicate the factory faux, melted plastic, seam. Actually I'm thinking one could make their own console and make it much better than stock.
MarkV
I had the factory console for my 73 recovered. I haven't assembled it yet. It is made out of mahogany plywood, had the fake sewn seam.

MDB2.gif
MarkV
New seam:
Mark Henry
Yep, they're made from ply. On the outside they have a pine edge for the first 1/2" (that I don't like, it hard against the leg) then foam pad, then the cover over top.

The pine edge is to prevent tearing along the edge of the board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.