Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Any late model Tahoe/Yukon owners here?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
We are looking at an 07 Tahoe Z71 4x4. My wife is drunk for it but I am skeptical. She has a 4runner now that has been super reliable. Honestly the 2007 Tahoe scares me. Can anyone share real world experience with the model?
Eric_Shea
Why not look at a Cayenne?
jasons
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 16 2011, 09:20 AM) *

Why not look at a Cayenne?

After owning a 944, I swore off late model water cooled Porsches. BMW ownership is broadening that view to include all late model German cars. Fun to drive, hard on the wallet.

Besides, I don't want to buy something and take the intake manifold off on the first weekend of ownership. poke.gif

Actually I just had the intake manifold off of my 540i to fix a valley pan coolant leak. headbang.gif
underthetire
Neighbors always got one from someone, seems he's doing intake manifold gaskets on it. Not sure what years though, he said most of the GM stuff in the last couple years has been good. Not sure of a 07 though. I can ask him next time I talk to him. He's a cheby mech for the last 30 years.
ELLIOTT
We have an 02 suburban with 147k and the only problem we had was the a/c compressor two years ago. Just put new tires on it yesterday.
Lou W
We have a 2006 GMC Yukon XL with 130,000. It's been a good choice so far, we bought it about a year and a half ago, we haven't experience any problems, I'd buy another one. I also currently own a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado half ton with 150,000 which has also been a very good vehicle, the only issue was the instrument cluster went crazy at 55,000 miles, Chevrolet replaced it. I previously owned a 2003 Tahoe, which I'd say was my favorite, it was a really nice car.

This being said, while trying to be non-political, I will not buy a new vehicle from GM as long as they are Government owned.
Scott S
I had a 2003 silverado. It had the known issues with the clunk in the slip yoke (had that replaced twice). Around 130k I lost the u-joints rather harshly (no warning – at all). After that repair, I experienced what the dealer referred to as “vibration beaming” – basically a harmonic vibration that I could feel through the truck at certain speeds when the drive shaft was at a certain angle. I only noticed it when the truck was marginally loaded. There were many cases of this discussed in several of the GM forums. Tranny started to whine and groan at 137 and that is when it was traded in (I was quoted 4500 – 6000 to repair it). Up until 125- 130k it was a good truck – actually it was a very very nice truck (mine was full leather/loaded and drove fantastic until it started to show it’s age). Hell, I was getting between 60-65k miles on a set of tires (great wear), 19 MPG and only replaced the brakes once at close to 100k. Cosmetically it still looked nearly new. I miss it.
speed metal army
I just bought my wife a '10 yukon.She also had a 4 runner before this.Way more room,nice truck.Whoever bought that 4runner can keep it. smile.gif
jasons
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Feb 16 2011, 02:27 PM) *

Whoever bought that 4runner can keep it. smile.gif

Really?!?! My wife's has been great. Were on the fence regarding which car we are replacing her 4Runner with 123k or my 540i with 71k.

Its reassuring to hear about people having problems at 135k as opposed to 35k. My hangup with the 07 is its the first year of a new body style released during a rough period for GM.
speed metal army
QUOTE(jasons @ Feb 16 2011, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Feb 16 2011, 02:27 PM) *

Whoever bought that 4runner can keep it. smile.gif

Really?!?! My wife's has been great. Were on the fence regarding which car we are replacing her 4Runner with 123k or my 540i with 71k.

Its reassuring to hear about people having problems at 135k as opposed to 35k. My hangup with the 07 is its the first year of a new body style released during a rough period for GM.

Well,its not that the 4runner wasnt good,it was.The Yukon is just roomier,better suited for our family.
jasons
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Feb 16 2011, 02:44 PM) *

Well,its not that the 4runner wasnt good,it was.The Yukon is just roomier,better suited for our family.

Gotcha. Exactly what we are trying to accomplish.
Lennies914
My wife has a '08 Tahoe. Fully loaded and has had no problems at all. She loves it.
dirk9141973
agree.gif Had a 06 Yukon leased for 36,000 36 months never in the shop ! yes no oil change turned it in 2 months early because would have needed tires. only issue liked fuel!! Replaced with 10 GMC Terrin much better car more leg room and great MPG anerage 28.2 for 26k miles and $ 15,000 less
infraredcalvin
I have an 07 tahoe ltz 4wd that Ibought new in may of 06, so it's from the first run with the new body style ( I think the first deliveries were in April of 06). I love my truck! Have 76k miles and one prob at 10k. Tranny went out, dont know or care why, the dealer stepped up and got me a new pickup to drive for week while they fixed it. Haven't had ay problems since. Just oil changes at the interval the computer tells you, for me ends up being every 7k miles.

The z71 came out about 6 to 8 mos after the initial release, so any major bugs should have been worked through. There's one recall that I'm aware of, the wiper fluid heater, they just disconnect. Infuses they were melting parts and worried about it causing a fire. It doesn't get cold enough here for it to switch on, so I haven't gotten it fixed.

It still runs and looks new, I get a lot of compliments still. I plan on keeping it for another 70K at least. Have towed the 914 and on other occasions my 930 on an open trailer with no issues, it actually tows like a much bigger truck, but you have to buy an expensive drop hitch cause the receiver is so high.

I've upgraded the intake, trottle body, maf, chip, flow master and 22 bling wheels within 2k miles from new I drive it like I do my turbo, so it gets abused. If I had it to do again I would have done wheels and muffler only. I don't think the other things do much more for performance. Plan on getting 13-14 mpg for highway and a little less around town though. Anyway Good luck and buy it!
jasons
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 16 2011, 07:48 PM) *

Tranny went out, dont know or care why, the dealer stepped up and got me a new pickup to drive for week while they fixed it.

That's one of the common problems I've read about. But they do have a good powertrain warranty. The one we are considering has 32k w/ a few trivial warranty issues in its history.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.