Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
What is the normal operating oil temperature of a 914-4 2.0?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Probably about 190 f oil temp
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Feb 16 2011, 10:02 AM) *

What is the normal operating oil temperature of a 914-4 2.0?

Ferg
190-210 is ideal, but I have yet to see a single stock 914 run that cool.

Most stock 2.0's that I have owned ran about 210-220 Highway summer driving, with stints approaching 240-50 climbing the rockies.

Ferg
RonnieJ
Where is the danger point on oil temp? I'm also thing of installing a head temp gauge if I can figure out how to do it. That way I know what's going on with my engine and will feel a little more self assured when summer temps hit.
Ferg
That's a whole new can of worms, and everyone's comfort zone differs.

For me, I don't want to see a normal day operating temp over 210, maybe 220 highway, anything more than that on a regular basis warrents a oil cooler IMO.

I think short stints up to 240-250 are "ok" if the driving is extreme and it's not repeted often, say the end of a super hot track day, or going over the rockies in 90 plus heat.

I have seen all of the above in the various 914's I've owned. My Carbed 2056 ran the hottest, almost a constant 235 highway, untill I installed a cooler. My multiple stock Djet 2.0's ran 200-230 depending.

I used this:

http://www.mainelycustombydesign.com/engin...s.html#dipstick

I found it to be very accurate, and after a few drives, pulling over and checking, you can calibrate the stock gauge that has no numbers to know where you stand while in motion.
Jake Raby
Safe oil temp is directly related to the oil you are using and what it's designed operating temp is.. Over the counter oils are done at 235f if conventional and around 250f synthetic. I have one flavor of oil that loves 300f and should not be ran at less that 240..

The rule of thumb is pressure.. If the pressure falls below 40 psi at 3k the oil is too hot to maintain film strength.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.