Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting problems - is this a bi-annual problem normally?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
Ok, I'm developing a ritual here where every-time I bring my car out of winter or summer storage, I have shifting problems.

I'll investigate and figure out the problem (this time around I can't find 1st or 4th), but I'm curious, does everybody have to tweak their shifting often, or is it suppose to be set it then forget it for couple years?

I have had a 2nd gear problem soon after I bought the car (it grinds when cold, but works great once heated up, I skip it when cold), so I don't know if it's a cancer slowly spreading on the inside or just finicky shifting.
Root_Werks
Somethings up, you shouldn't be touching the adjustments.

Start with the norm's like shifter bushings just to get a good point of condition.

Next I'd start looking into the motor and tranny mounts. They are probably allowing the whole power train to move around a little.

I've replaced many over the years. Makes a big difference, even when the old mounts "looked" okay. 40+ year old rubber just doesn't work as well as new rubber.
SirAndy
And don't forget to check the cone setscrews ... shades.gif
patssle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2011, 03:27 PM) *

And don't forget to check the cone setscrews ... shades.gif

Yup, that's what it was. Apparently the little silicone (or whatever it is) that comes on new cone screws doesn't work worth a crap. It was 75% unscrewed, and I had just replaced it in Nov. and it has sat the past 2 months.

Just another thing to keep my eye on! No big deal, I'm use to the seasonal shift linkage problem by now. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 16 2011, 03:53 PM) *
Apparently the little silicone (or whatever it is) that comes on new cone screws doesn't work worth a crap. It was 75% unscrewed, and I had just replaced it in Nov. and it has sat the past 2 months.

The original screws have no silly-cone ... They have a metal tab inside the thread that deforms when used... They should not be reused ...

popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
Have you checked/changed the oil in the box?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2011, 04:30 PM) *

The original screws have no silly-cone ... They have a metal tab inside the thread that deforms when used...

Metal? I thought they had a nub of nylon sticking out the side...

--DD
Dr Evil
They do have a nylock nub. One use.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 16 2011, 08:53 PM) *

They do have a nylock nub. One use.

I have seen and used quite a few with metal in the threads, not nylon ... shades.gif
Scott S
Are these screws on the shift linkages for all years or is it an early vs late deal? It has been over a year since I pulled my motor and I know I am getting old, but I sure dont remember having to undo one of these to remove the linkage in my '72.
IronHillRestorations
Scott you are just getting old! shades.gif biggrin.gif

There's a cone set screw at both ends of the shift rod. One goes in the coupler with the nylon bushings at the firewall (forward end of the rod), and the other goes into the ball cup fitting that goes on the rear end of the shift rod.

In a pinch a small drop of the low strength thread locker will work until you get a new set screw. There are also cheapo repro's that don't have the nylon locking nub in them, worth paying a few cents more to get them from Porsche.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.