Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trfrick
Hi All,

I installed a new main targa seal on my 71' teener and now my windows on the doors do not meet the seal completely. It looks like I need to tilt the window forward, but when I do the chrome pillar does not allow the door to shut.

Is there something I am missing or do I need to shim the door?

Thanks,

Tom

Root_Werks
Common issue on 40 year old 914's. It's a combo of things:

Windshield frame is sagging just a tad.

Whole car is sagging just a tad in the longitudinal(Spelling?) area.

Toss those two together and you at times just cannot adjust the window as the distance has shrunk too much the farther up the opening you go.

Post some pics for us, it'll help us help you. It might be something else.

wink.gif
Root_Werks
Shot of the back part. This issue is the rear most part of the glass is too tight up against the targa bar.

Can't make it go forward becuase you're out of room up there as well.
trfrick
I'll post some pics tonight.

Can I adjust the way the window sits in the regulator?
SirAndy
QUOTE(trfrick @ Feb 16 2011, 01:40 PM) *

Yes. In fact you can adjust the glass in all 3 dimensions. Take off the inner panel and you should be able to find all the adjustment points.

Also, check if your door lines up correctly with the body. If the door is sagging in relationship to the body, you can grab the rear of the door and gently pull it upwards until it stays in the right place.

shades.gif
Root_Werks
Crude bmp drawing, but something like this:

76-914
Gently? Andy must be a brute. I prefer the "lever/fulcrum" system. (did I just make a visual pun?) In other words a 2x4.
trfrick
It must be the windshield sagging = the chrome pillar is tilted as far back as it will go and the window height adjustment is at its max.

Maybe I could just get bigger seals! wacko.gif
Root_Werks
You would be surprised what the wieght of the windshield+decades of bouncing around driving+not a very robust frame=sagging windshield frame.

CAMP914 had a 34k mile 914 years back I had a chance to see in person. I was shocked how much farther up the winshield sat than my 200k mile 914 did. It was very pronounced when the targa top openings were measured and compared. Something like a 1/4 inch I think? You have to remember, something like 1/128th of an inch toward the bottong of the door opening probably = 1/32th an ich at the top opening.
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 16 2011, 02:32 PM) *

Gently? Andy must be a brute. I prefer the "lever/fulcrum" system. (did I just make a visual pun?) In other words a 2x4.

Wut? Have you ever tried moving the back of the door up when the door is open? It's a BIG lever from there to the mounting points. You can lift the door with just one hand ...

Gentle because you can easily bend the sheet metal around the mounting tabs too much if you are not careful.

A 2x4 would probably rip the hinges off the door posts ... shades.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2011, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(trfrick @ Feb 16 2011, 01:40 PM) *

Yes. In fact you can adjust the glass in all 3 dimensions. Take off the inner panel and you should be able to find all the adjustment points.

Also, check if your door lines up correctly with the body. If the door is sagging in relationship to the body, you can grab the rear of the door and gently pull it upwards until it stays in the right place.

shades.gif

I am trying to adjust something different than the original post above.

Is there a way to adjust the "vent" window directly up and down? I know that you can adjust the top of the "vent" window forward and backward (the lean) with the 13mm adjustment screw on the bottom of the door. And the same screw allows adjustment of it in and out at the top (flat screw inside the adjustment nut). But, I am hoping there is a way to adjust the "vent" window straight up or down.
mskala
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Feb 16 2011, 06:03 PM) *

You would be surprised what the wieght of the windshield+decades of bouncing around driving+not a very robust frame=sagging windshield frame.

CAMP914 had a 34k mile 914 years back I had a chance to see in person. I was shocked how much farther up the winshield sat than my 200k mile 914 did. It was very pronounced when the targa top openings were measured and compared. Something like a 1/4 inch I think? You have to remember, something like 1/128th of an inch toward the bottong of the door opening probably = 1/32th an ich at the top opening.

Years ago I was able to successfully move the windshield posts without breaking
anything jacking from the long with some wood spreading the load.
stevegm
QUOTE(mskala @ Nov 24 2014, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Feb 16 2011, 06:03 PM) *

Years ago I was able to successfully move the windshield posts without breaking
anything jacking from the long with some wood spreading the load.

Thanks. This car is straight. No sag. I just need to adjust the "vent" window better. Trying to determine if it is possible to move it straight up or straight down.
boxsterfan
I went through this adjustment last weekend. My car definitely has sag on the passenger side. You can actually see the windshield frame move up/down as you close/open the passenger door.

stevegm
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 24 2014, 03:13 PM) *

I went through this adjustment last weekend. My car definitely has sag on the passenger side. You can actually see the windshield frame move up/down as you close/open the passenger door.

Exactly. Passenger side. Very slight movement of the windshield post. But it makes me cringe every time. Were you able to find an adjustment that moved the vent window directly up or down? If not, how did you address it?
bandjoey
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 24 2014, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 24 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Do Not Take the roof Off! blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 24 2014, 12:13 PM) *
You can actually see the windshield frame move up/down as you close/open the passenger door.

In that case, the door is just fine. It's the windshield frame that is bent.

I have seen this many times. People use the upper corner of the windshield frame to lift themselves out of the car. Over time, the frame bends downward.

The easy fix is to simply bent it back upwards. You can do this with your hand.
Slow and steady, otherwise you risk breaking the glass.
smile.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2014, 03:44 PM) *

You can actually see the windshield frame move up/down as you close/open the passenger door.

I have seen this many times. People use the upper corner of the windshield frame to lift themselves out of the car. Over time, the frame bends downward.

smile.gif

Really? And you can do that without messing up the paint or metal or anything? And there is no adjustment to simply move the "vent" window down a tab. My windshield post barely moves when I close the door. But, it does move a tiny bit on the passenger side.
mskala
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 24 2014, 06:24 PM) *

smile.gif

Really? And you can do that without messing up the paint or metal or anything? And there is no adjustment to simply move the "vent" window down a tab. My windshield post barely moves when I close the door. But, it does move a tiny bit on the passenger side.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ic=1311&hl=
r_towle

smile.gif

Guilty.

Is there a way to weld in a reinforced thing to make it stop?
I won't pull it again, I promise.

But....I am gonna get it all painted, so I could add this to my list of mods to get done before I paint it for the last time.

Rich
altitude411

[/quote]

I won't pull it again, I promise.

Rich
[/quote]

bs.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.