Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 engine white smoke out exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
recko911
I recently installed engine on my 914. It's been sitting in the garage for about 6 months. When I started it I noticed a lot of white smoke coming out of exhaust . It's less now than initial start up. Is the white smoke something I should worry about. Thanks
Woody
Drive it. If it goes away your probably okay. Where did the engine come from? Fresh rebuild or stored for a long time?
Andyrew
Unless its a watercooled engine, I highly doubt you have anything to worry about, just some condensation in the engine that needs to burn off.

smile.gif
recko911
QUOTE(Woody @ Feb 16 2011, 03:10 PM) *

Drive it. If it goes away your probably okay. Where did the engine come from? Fresh rebuild or stored for a long time?

It's an engine I purchased from a friend, he had it a few years. He would run it occasionally. He sold it with dual 44 carbs. (unknown brand) will post pics maybe you guys can I.D
Anyways he was doing a v8 conversion and didn't need engine anymore.

recko911
[quote name='recko911' date='Feb 16 2011, 03:57 PM' post='1432369']
[quote name='Woody' post='1432334' date='Feb 16 2011, 03:10 PM']
[/quote]

It's an engine I purchased from a friend, he had it a few years. He would run it occasionally. He sold it with dual 44 carbs. (unknown brand) will post pics maybe you guys can I.D
Anyways he was doing a v8 conversion and didn't need engine anymore.
[after purchased I stored it half year
Tom_T
Black smoke - too rich

White that disappears (it evaporates very quickly) is only on watercooled engines & can mean a bad head gasket or other way coolant is getting into 1 or more combustion chambers. So Andrew has it partly right.

White to Bluish-white smoke usually means oil is getting into the combustion chamber - usually past the rings, and that can happen then go away in a motor that sits or when very cold & they shrink until warmed up (I mean Alaska & Dakotas cold).

However IMHO, you need to watch it & if it keeps up or gets worse, you'll need to get it rebuilt. When mine went at about 130k it blew out a huge cloud of white/bluish smoke as I decelerated down an off-ramp from the freeway, so I knew it was time! Same thing happened a couple of years ago in our Westy, & we needed a top end done. dry.gif

You could do a compression check to see if 1 or more cylinders are more than 10-15+% below the others, which would tell you where the bypass is occurring. when it's really bad, you'll notice a loss of power.
moparrob
I'll assume you have fresh oil in the engine - if not you'll need to eliminate that variable.

Also, how old is your fuel supply. It could have water contamination as well.

If you KNOW for sure your fuel is fresh, and your oil is new, the only thing else you might want to try is some Sea Foam to help lube the rings and top end. I've had success with some tired engines in the past.

From their website: SEA FOAM liquefies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine contaminants, removing carbon deposits, freeing sticky valve lifters and rings curing rough idle, pinging and hesitation problems. By using SEA FOAM to eliminate varnish and carbon buildup, mechanics can more accurately diagnose mechanical problems that may exist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.