Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: no longer a poser
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chuckc
Hi guys,
No longer a poser; just put a deposit on a 75 1.8 w/ stock FI. I have to work on insurance and registration so I can drive it home. No flex and seems pretty solid; we'll see where the rust is hiding. Thanks for the advice and help over the last few months with my search. I'll post some pics later.

Peace,
Chuck
beerchug.gif
bdstone914
Go buy her some new jackstands! shell appreciate it.
AndyB
Congrats where did you end up getting it at?
silver74insocal
what type of jackstands will you be using? happy11.gif jk and congrats...welcome to the madness
chuckc
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 16 2011, 06:40 PM) *

Congrats where did you end up getting it at?

Bay Shore LI. It popped up on CL 2 days ago.
Mike Bellis
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
chuckc

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Feb 16 2011, 06:44 PM) *

what type of jackstands will you be using? happy11.gif jk and congrats...welcome to the madness

The strongest 8 I can find. biggrin.gif

I'm now looking for a teacher because I don't no sh*+! blink.gif
Porschef
Chuck,

Are you on the Island? Looking forward to pics.

Joe
Drums66
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 16 2011, 03:34 PM) *

Go buy her some new jackstands! shell appreciate it.

....Also tools & motor manual happy11.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif have fun!!!
chuckc
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 16 2011, 06:54 PM) *

Here are the first few. They are pretty low res. 2 from the ad, 1 from my phone.

he's sending me more tonight, I'll post them later.

I won't be able to pick it up until after I get back from Memphis next week and figure out tags and registration.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
chuckc
QUOTE(porscheless @ Feb 16 2011, 07:09 PM) *

Chuck,

Are you on the Island? Looking forward to pics.

Joe

Hey Joe,
I'm actually in Astoria Queens. But once I pick-up the car I'll drive it to PA and park it next to my dad's 911. Then slowly start the work. With the moneey I've saved I want to add some stiffening, cage, flares, 911 suspension and 5 lugs, Mike's headlight and way later see if I can't do a suby conversion. But I'm so clueless right now that I can't see all of this happening within the next 5 yrs.

I want to learn how to weld so I can save $$ where I can. Shoestring budget right now.

peace.
mrdkrantz
congrats man welcome to the joys of 914 ownership -its awesome

carr914
piratenanner.gif - I hope you will be a long time Owner & Member here beerchug.gif

T.C.
kfish914
Congrats, and welcome to the madness. Now you get to stand up in front of every one and say...Hi my name is... and I own a 914...it has been 15 years since I last drove her, Oh wait thats me, sorry huh.gif
JRust
QUOTE(chuckc @ Feb 16 2011, 05:20 PM) *

With the moneey I've saved I want to add some stiffening, cage, flares, 911 suspension and 5 lugs, Mike's headlight and way later see if I can't do a suby conversion. But I'm so clueless right now that I can't see all of this happening within the next 5 yrs.
I want to learn how to weld so I can save $$ where I can. Shoestring budget right now.

looks good in the pics. Hopefully the rust is minor if there. With your plan above. You might consider going in reverse. I've seen to many people start projects that way & then get tired. I would spend the money on the suby conversion first. Once you have the conversion done. It is easy enough to pull the drivetrain to do all your stiffening. I guarantee you will enjoy driving it with the motor upgrade. More than you would with the 5-lug setup, flares & the stiffening. So do what will put a smile on your face first. Much easier to stay motivated on all the other things after confused24.gif . Best of luck whatever you do & welcome to the maddness piratenanner.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(chuckc @ Feb 16 2011, 08:20 PM) *
...once I pick-up the car I'll drive it to PA and park it...

I think you should DRIVE it and enjoy it before parking it for mods. driving.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 16 2011, 08:39 PM) *

I think you should DRIVE it and enjoy it before parking it for mods. driving.gif

agree.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(chuckc @ Feb 16 2011, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 16 2011, 06:54 PM) *

I won't be able to pick it up until after I get back from Memphis next week and figure out tags and registration.

Memphis?Did you say Memphis? I live in Memphis, look me up and I will buy you bar b que and let you drive a teener.

Shoe beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 16 2011, 09:02 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

Drive it like ya stole it!
Gint
welcome.png Great lookin 914!
rnellums
wohoo! Let the fun begin!!
Madswede
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 16 2011, 08:17 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

agree.gif I third that comment. I drove mine with a damn bus motor for about a year, then it sat for 2 years before finally starting on the mods. Enjoy a good, unmodified running /4 for a while! (Well, maybe put 5 bolt cookies on there pretty quick drooley.gif - I don't much like the 4 bolt wheels dry.gif )

- Nelson
chuckc
QUOTE(esses62 @ Feb 16 2011, 10:29 PM) *

welcome.png when you get it back to NY we should go for a drive there are about 6 active teeners in the area unfortunately it means taking a trip over to Jersey biggrin.gif

I would seriously like that allot. I have to make sure it makes that first 45miles home and build up my confidence in the motor. It also has sloppy column syndrome, So I'll want to try to fix that the first weekend if I can. The PO has the bearing itself and the plastic insert. I don't yet have a repair book yet but will search the forums for postings on the fix. I just read about the issue last week here (http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/159/articles/bush-league). kind-of ironic. If I make it home, and can fix the steering, I'll hit you up for a drive. driving.gif

peace,
chuck
markb
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 16 2011, 07:17 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

agree.gif
914itis

welcome.png when you get it back to NY we should go for a drive there are about 6 active teeners in the area unfortunately it means taking a trip over to Jersey biggrin.gif

I think we should be six in staten island brooklyn, quuens amd LI.
chuckc
Thanks all for the advice. getting use to it the way it is for a minute and addressing any rust seems like a good place to start.

The rundown:

When i was looking at it i took the top off, rolled the windows down, held my thumb over the door gap and put all my weight on the door & felt no flex or movement in the gap. The doors opened and shut with no issues.

I felt around under the battery and where that shelf meets the fire wall and couldn't feel any rust. He put it on the lift for me and the floor pans were solid, as were the mounts for the A-arms and as near as I could tell the rear inner console where the trailing arms connect.

The drain hole under the battery was clean. but I did a hole about the circumfrence of a pencil tucked away; i pushed around it and felt no flaking but still...it's a hole.

I haven't seen under the rockers...and i expect to find stuff that I'll have to sand (and por 15? treat) at best, ask and beg for help at worst. The rivets that holed the rockers had been replaced with screws so somebody somewhere knows. The seam along the long was there, but looked it's age.

It started fine, didn't smoke...PO had changed belts, gaskets, and 1 injector. I saw the beginning of a drop of oil when under but no puddles where it had been sitting.

The trunks were good, no rust; no dimples in the crumple zones.

Rear window rubber on the bottom is bad. Front blinkers are weathered. Dash perfect, lights work seats are tolerable.

Seemed to go between gears ok, but I'm paranoid from all I've read.

peace,
Chuck

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
hwgunner
I hate to dissapoint you but you are still a poser!! You have not shown us any pictures of the car on jack stands in your garage with all your crap piled on top of it. beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
Congratulations Chuck.
It looks like a better choice than the one you showed me a few days ago!
bigkensteele
That looks like a really nice car. You did a much better self-PPI than I did on my first purchase about 15 years ago.

Good luck and welcome!
Jerry
Looks good......and they "CLAIM" ....yellow is faster :-) yeah..right
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Jerry @ Feb 17 2011, 11:02 PM) *

Looks good......and they "CLAIM" ....yellow is faster :-) yeah..right

welcome.png and to the madness. I agree, Yellow is faster ... first.gif
chuckc
So it made the 45-50 miles from LI to Astoria monday night just fine. Averaged 50-65mph. My gas gauge is stuck and only have high beams though. It's a little hard to find first, easier to find it before I coming to a stop.

I found an excuse to drive for an hour this morning. Went and picked up a fire extinguisher and a 10 inch rear view clip.

Holy crap! I don't want to drive anything else...ever...ever ever! Rearranged priorities...Jesus, wife, driving, driving, driving, sleeping, food, and driving.

Oh, and I priced some 6ton jack stands (cause they were taller)
Cupomeat

WHAT? Jersey is GOOOD!!!! piratenanner.gif

Lots of us live there. driving.gif
Cupomeat
Chuck, that looks like a VERY nice 914.

cheer.gif

I'd suggest (as other have) that you drive it as much as you can before starting mods. Not only will you appreciate your 914 much better, but you'll shake out the bugs before diving into changing things. Also, join PCA and take it to a DE event. Learn how to drive a momentum car before you change the engine.

Oh and one last thing, upgrade the brakes BEFORE you do the subaru conversion.

stirthepot.gif Now, after looking at those pictures, poke.gif the old man in me says "Don't cut this car up for flares or a subaru conversion. There are lots of cars that are not nearly as nice to bastardize".

I'd hang onto this one and drive it, find a crappier example to mod. sawzall-smiley.gif

Anyway it slices (lol), i am about 16 mi west of Manhattan and can be called upon for help as you need.

Good luck and congratulations

Eric
chandler1969
Yellow is faster. biggrin.gif Congrats on the car.
johannes
Holy crap! I don't want to drive anything else...ever...ever ever!

That's the way I feel...

Congrats, drive it ! ...

turboman808
QUOTE(esses62 @ Feb 16 2011, 07:29 PM) *

Sorry we got all the good roads. driving.gif
chuckc
biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 2 2011, 11:14 AM) *

Chuck, that looks like a VERY nice 914.

cheer.gif

I'd suggest (as other have) that you drive it as much as you can before starting mods. Not only will you appreciate your 914 much better, but you'll shake out the bugs before diving into changing things. Also, join PCA and take it to a DE event. Learn how to drive a momentum car before you change the engine.

Oh and one last thing, upgrade the brakes BEFORE you do the subaru conversion.

stirthepot.gif Now, after looking at those pictures, poke.gif the old man in me says "Don't cut this car up for flares or a subaru conversion. There are lots of cars that are not nearly as nice to bastardize".

I'd hang onto this one and drive it, find a crappier example to mod. sawzall-smiley.gif

Anyway it slices (lol), i am about 16 mi west of Manhattan and can be called upon for help as you need.

Good luck and congratulations

Eric

Thanks for the input Eric. My budget and skillset are both definately a ways away from doing any conversion in the near future. I was taking a closer look at the jackpoints and I can tell I'm going to have to probably replace the one on the drivers side. I haven't taken the rockers off yet, but just peeking in I can see some holes. That'll probably eat what little I have saved.

On another note, I'd love to take a drive the 19th or 26th weather permitting. biggrin.gif
Looks like rain this weekend.

peace,
Chuck
Cevan
welcome.png

I bought my '75 914 from a guy in Queens.

socalstuttgart
You did good... nice car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.