Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical gremlins, need help ahhh!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matteyp
Hey guys so I'm having a super hard time figuring out all the gremlins with my wiring so maybe someone can give me some help. I have a 73 1.7, just installed most of the wiring but for some reason when I turn the headlights on the tailights will come on but the headlights wont. When I pull the switch to the second position the headlights also just constantly run and go up and down. Ive checked all the grounds and everything looks ok.

Second problem: I also cant get the hazards to come on. When I pull the switch no lights turn on. All connections look good. My wiring diagram for the 73 shows eight connections but my switch has only 7, maybe an issue? not sure.

3rd probem: I have one leftover black/white striped wire. I determined this wire has something to do with the turn signal indicators but when I connect the wire all it does is run the indicators constantly in the car. Also when connected the indicators turn off with the hazard switch in the on position. I'm using an older style two indicator tach. Also do I need to run a seperate wire to get the two indicators to work with the turn signals? or does the 73 harness have two wires for the indicators.
timofly
Check all of the connections to the parking lights, side markers, turn signals, taillights, brake lights and backup lights. If any of the wires are connected to the wrong posts, the lights will do weird stuff. It will drive you crazy trying to figure out what should be connected to what, and some of the commercial wiring diagrams are wrong. Be sure you understand which posts power which lights.

You may just have to start changing them around and see what works: trial and error. BTDT

Good luck!
matteyp
Quick question, would not having the licence plate lights hooked up have anything to do with the problem? I know they have small grounds but wasnt sure.
timofly
QUOTE(matteyp @ Feb 16 2011, 09:34 PM) *

Quick question, would not having the licence plate lights hooked up have anything to do with the problem? I know they have small grounds but wasnt sure.

Well, I don't think so, but make sure that the wires are taped off so they aren't shorting or hooked up to something they shouldn't be. When I can get through the snow down to the barn, I'll send you some photos of the connections on mine. It took a long time to get it sorted on my car. Drove me freaking nuts!

Dave_Darling
The 70-73 wiring harness has two signal wires for the turn signal indicators. The 74+ wiring harness only has one signal wire. Some early 74s have 73 tachs (silver center and everything) with two indicators, but they are both wired to the single signal wire and they blink together.

Not sure about your other problems... Check the wiring diagrams (B&W in Haynes, and color on the Pelican website) to look for the B&W wires.

--DD
matteyp
Well could u tell me which color wires are for the indicators? I know one is blue and white, don't know the other. Thanks
matteyp
Any electrical gurus out there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.