Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original Customs has a Celette bench!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Well the deal is done. I am now the proud owner of a Celette bench. Of course, handing over cash and hauling the thing home was the easy part. Now there is the stack of associated tools that I'll need in order to actually do something with my nice big hunk of metal. Plus it's in need of a little TLC, such as cleaning off the rusty parts, cleaning threads and lubricating everything.

Whew... it's been a long day. yawn.gif
Mike Bellis
So purdy, almost makes me want to bend my chassis
Lennies914
Congrats Mark! beer.gif

I just hope I never need it.
Rand
Congrats man. Rusty parts? Psshh. This thing has no hell hole. Great addition to the Original Customs shop.
rick 918-S
OK, now we need to get one of these in Scottyb's shop and one down south and we will have the country covered. There are some 914's that can use a second chance.

Congrads Mark! I'm sure it was a hard decision to invest the money.
TurboWalt
Most excellent!
Cambo
Dang Mark. I hope that's not for my car!
McMark
av-943.gif Mike... I have some bad news. yikes.gif

Just kidding.
Cambo
You take the car in for a little rust work.....next thing ya know..... welder.gif
JRust
Congrats! That is awesome piratenanner.gif
914werke
Very Cool!
So how difficulty is it to mount an otherwise unmolested car just to check if it is truly straight?
flipb
This roofline looks way longer than a normal 914... Has the Limo been painted??

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 17 2011, 01:20 AM) *

Very Cool!
So how difficult is it to mount an otherwise unmolested car just to check if it is truly straight?

At minimum suspension out. If you concerned about the rear transaxle mount you need to pull the engine and transaxle. These are best used to restore the factory suspension and engine/transaxle mounting points after a crash.

The second best part of having a Celette in a resto/fab shop is setting up and replacing rust damaged suspension consules and installing the factory style 6 bulkhead mount in conversion cars. The fixtures locate these.

This bench in Marks hands is going to be a bonus for you guys out west. The fixtures for the 911 front suspension is the same as the 914. Many of those are seeing rusted front suspension mounting points. Another use for a Celette.

The Mercedes guys with the 260/280 SL's have one of the worse rust problems of all the german cars.

I'm really excited for Mark.

Hey Mark, Here's that jack I mentioned when we were talking the other day.
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Master-S...tp-xl-spl-6.htm
mepstein
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 17 2011, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 17 2011, 01:20 AM) *

Very Cool!
So how difficult is it to mount an otherwise unmolested car just to check if it is truly straight?

At minimum suspension out. If you concerned about the rear transaxle mount you need to pull the engine and transaxle. These are best used to restore the factory suspension and engine/transaxle mounting points after a crash.

The second best part of having a Celette in a resto/fab shop is setting up and replacing rust damaged suspension consules and installing the factory style 6 bulkhead mount in conversion cars. The fixtures locate these.

This bench in Marks hands is going to be a bonus for you guys out west. The fixtures for the 911 front suspension is the same as the 914. Many of those are seeing rusted front suspension mounting points. Another use for a Celette.

The Mercedes guys with the 260/280 SL's have one of the worse rust problems of all the german cars.

I'm really excited for Mark.

Hey Mark, Here's that jack I mentioned when we were talking the other day.
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Master-S...tp-xl-spl-6.htm

I saw that lift in their showroom. idea.gif drooley.gif
ConeDodger
Whoo Hooo!!! Congratulations Mark!

The next thing you need is a competent, reliable, productive assistant...
type47
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 16 2011, 10:09 PM) *

OK, now we need to get one of these in Scottyb's shop and one down south and we will have the country covered.

How do you feel about copying the bench by local building. You make measurements and take some pix. Fixtures could also be built and duplicated. I've seen steel I beams used in headers that look like larger stock than the real bench. I might be able to arrange the welds to be made in an Argon environment happy11.gif Seems to me something as big as a Cellette should not be lost.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 17 2011, 05:33 AM) *

This roofline looks way longer than a normal 914... Has the Limo been painted??

Click to view attachment

That's just an open engine cover with a car cover over it...nothing exciting sad.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 16 2011, 10:09 PM) *

OK, now we need to get one of these in Scottyb's shop and one down south and we will have the country covered. There are some 914's that can use a second chance.

Congrads Mark! I'm sure it was a hard decision to invest the money.

Congrats indeed.

All I need are measurements, time and money dry.gif and I could build one

914...the next 356 smile.gif
IronHillRestorations
There's an older Blackhawk frame bench that will accept the Celette 914 fixtures. I have one, but it's not as nice and lacks the features of the Celette, but I only have about $600 into it which I figure is less than the cost of the steel.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 16 2011, 09:52 PM) *
I am now the proud owner of a Celette bench.

smilie_pokal.gif

I see a original /6 butchering build in my near future! biggrin.gif
McMark
mueba.gif
type47
QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 17 2011, 09:32 AM) *

There's an older Blackhawk frame bench that will accept the Celette 914 fixtures. I have one, but it's not as nice and lacks the features of the Celette, but I only have about $600 into it which I figure is less than the cost of the steel.

Anybody have pictures of the fixtures? Diagrams, etc?
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 17 2011, 12:12 PM) *
Anybody have pictures of the fixtures? Diagrams, etc?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=52631

IPB Image
JmuRiz
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 17 2011, 09:29 AM) *

Congrats indeed.

All I need are measurements, time and money dry.gif and I could build one

914...the next 356 smile.gif

Yep, just as rust-prone, haha.

WillsWerks in NoVA has a bench, but they only work on 356s, oh well.
IronHillRestorations
Plans for the 914 fixtures would be so cool!
r_towle
Congrats Mark, I hope you did not get in that hail storm while trying to that bench....you guys can keep this lovely weather...I am going back to the snow smile.gif

Have a blast with that bench.

Rich
Chris Pincetich
WOW
beerchug.gif
I thought you said your shop was too full for another hunk of metal?
Actually, I think you will need 2 of those for the limo!
biggrin.gif
Looking forward to a visit soon, definitely before May.
jgara962
I see you are getting ready for your first Original Customs grape harvest as well biggrin.gif

Congrats on all the new equipment.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 17 2011, 08:27 PM) *

I see you are getting ready for your first Original Customs grape harvest as well biggrin.gif

Congrats on all the new equipment.

Olives. He has a sublet going on his side yard...
hwgunner
Very cool. beerchug.gif
McMark
Yeah, it's olive oil. tongue.gif

Ms. Celette is definitely gonna see some action in the near future. I can't wait.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.