Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: J West - Level 3: 2nd gear selection problems....help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moggy
Calling all J West Level 3 kit users.....

I've got the full works kit from J West but no matter how I adjust it 2nd gear is a problem. Basically it goes into all other gears fine, no problem. 2nd gear however has a 60/40 chance of going in and staying in. 60% of the time it'll go in and stay in, whether going up the gears or down the gears. BUT.... 40% of the time it'll seem to go in but it'll pop out straight away. The gearbox is new and built by a very respectable guy, so it aint that. The fact that it goes into 5th and reverse seems to me that the shifter has enough throw forwards. Any ideas???
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(moggy @ Feb 17 2011, 02:25 PM) *

I've got the full works kit from J West but no matter how I adjust it 2nd gear is a problem. Basically it goes into all other gears fine, no problem. 2nd gear however has a 60/40 chance of going in and staying in. 60% of the time it'll go in and stay in, whether going up the gears or down the gears. BUT.... 40% of the time it'll seem to go in but it'll pop out straight away. The gearbox is new and built by a very respectable guy, so it aint that. The fact that it goes into 5th and reverse seems to me that the shifter has enough throw forwards. Any ideas???

Did you set the throw stop or adjust that at all? Sounds sorta like what would happen if you had it in too far.
Eric_Shea
I noticed mine (by hand, not installed yet) goes from bushing to bushing here:

IPB Image

When you set it up, did you check the clearances before tightening?

IPB Image
JWest
QUOTE(moggy @ Feb 17 2011, 04:25 PM) *

With the car off and the rear lifted for access, select 2nd gear and have someone put light pressure against the shifter to maintain full engagement. Check that the linkage is not bottoming out at the shift console at the transmission (this should have been checked at installation if following the instructions).

Back the shifter stops way off. You should have plenty of throw to bias the shifter to barely engage 3rd so you are sure to be fully engaging 2nd gear. If nothing is running out of throw on the linkage, then you have an internal problem.

The shifter and linkage do nothing to keep the gear engaged. They can prevent full engagement if something stops the throw before full engagement occurs. Note that the shifter stops are to be adjusted to provide clearance on full enagement and are only used in an overtravel condition.
moggy
QUOTE(JWest @ Feb 18 2011, 07:38 AM) *

With the car off and the rear lifted for access, select 2nd gear and have someone put light pressure against the shifter to maintain full engagement. Check that the linkage is not bottoming out at the shift console at the transmission (this should have been checked at installation if following the instructions).

Back the shifter stops way off. You should have plenty of throw to bias the shifter to barely engage 3rd so you are sure to be fully engaging 2nd gear. If nothing is running out of throw on the linkage, then you have an internal problem.

The shifter and linkage do nothing to keep the gear engaged. They can prevent full engagement if something stops the throw before full engagement occurs. Note that the shifter stops are to be adjusted to provide clearance on full enagement and are only used in an overtravel condition.

Thanks, I'm going to check on this tomorrow.

I've actually taken the stops out so they are not an issue. It's as if the 2nd gear isn't going all the way in sometimes.
moggy
QUOTE(JWest @ Feb 18 2011, 07:38 AM) *

Check that the linkage is not bottoming out at the shift console at the transmission

Can you explain in a bit more details what you mean by this, not sure I follow you. Maybe a picture or 2 to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Moggy
JWest
QUOTE(moggy @ Feb 19 2011, 04:58 AM) *

Can you explain in a bit more details what you mean by this, not sure I follow you. Maybe a picture or 2 to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Moggy

Just make sure that the linkage has some extra room to move when 2nd is engaged. You should not narrow it down to one place to look - you should check the whole system while you are at it since there is not much to it.

Here is a pic (thanks Eric) of the point that must be checked during assembly (both front and rear):

Eric_Shea
agree.gif that's the spot but... wouldn't second be on the back 1/2 not the front where your arrows are? confused24.gif

(thinking, lever forward makes rod go back?)
rwilner
Here is a dumb thing to check.
If you have the rubber dust boot installed on the shifter pushed down too far over the shifter base, it will create some significant spring pressure to neutral. This was happening to me : at a certain rpm, my car would pop out of 3rd gear. I removed the boot and the problem went away.

Good luck
moggy
QUOTE(JWest @ Feb 19 2011, 06:01 AM) *

QUOTE(moggy @ Feb 19 2011, 04:58 AM) *

Cheers

Moggy

Just make sure that the linkage has some extra room to move when 2nd is engaged. You should not narrow it down to one place to look - you should check the whole system while you are at it since there is not much to it.

Here is a pic (thanks Eric) of the point that must be checked during assembly (both front and rear):

Sorted beerchug.gif

I indeed had to move that aluminium piece (with the bronze bushings) above to the left by a few mm to allow 2nd gear to full engage. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.