Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 24mm front torsion bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
The largest 914 front t-bars I have been able to find is 23mm. I know I can switch to 911 a-arms and get more t-bar sizes, but I'm curious if anyone out there makes 24mm t-bars for 914- a-arms.

I already have 911 a-arms for a swap if need be, but it would be nice to save a few hours of work...
sean_v8_914
no. if you want higher spring rates you must switch to coikl over front set up
sean_v8_914
coil over
pcar916
I've been using 23mm torsion bars with a 22mm sway bar for many years. Combined with Bilstein sport shocks and 200# rear springs. It's extremely stiff. You want more?

What does the rest of the suspension look like, is this a race car (as your moniker would suggest) and do you have a full cage tied into the suspension points? LSD or TBD? Both ends have to be designed at the same time or I'd be afraid of chasing a moving oversteer/understeer target.
vintage914racer
Thanks everyone for the replies. Unfortunately rules won't allow me to switch to a coilover setup.

Pcar916--Car is a dedicated track car with full cage tied into shock towers. Right now I'm running the following:

23mm front torsion bars
22m front sway
no rear sway
275lb rear springs
Bias Ply Hoosier TDs
1871 pound car

Car is very neutral with this setup.

Two local 914 guys who frequent the same tracks (mostly Road America) as I do, and are very quick, suggested upping my spring rates to the following:

24mm front torsion bars
~500lb rear springs

Both noted a significant improvement with this setup at RA. I'm certainly open to other suggestions though.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Feb 18 2011, 11:38 AM) *
~500lb rear springs

blink.gif

I've only seen 500lbs rear springs on a 914 once, and that was on Scott Yeaman's silver tube frame 914.

He only ran them for two events before going back to a somewhat softer setup. It was way too bouncy.
At that spring rate, you would need some pretty damn good shocks to go with it in order to make good use of the springs.

first.gif
pcar916
I'd listen to the guys that are already on the track if they have similar cars, driving styles and their "ass-dynos" are calibrated with yours. But I'd only go that big with double-dampening shocks. Otherwise you might be skippin' over the tulips! piratenanner.gif

Hmm, I know it's a stretch, but is there any way you could drive one of their cars for a brief stint? Might be worth the expense. That's a lot of scratch for how many seconds? Might pay for some more seat-time!!!!

Good luck!
campbellcj
I'm in the process of going significantly stiffer on spring rates, and like the change so far. I agree 500's may be over the top but I have heard several local racers using as much as 400-450 rears.

You will certainly need to use custom revalved shocks, or fully-adjustable shocks if you go down that slippery slope.
sean_v8_914
500#? maybe with a huge wing on high speed tracks. this set up would suck at slower speeds. many guys that can afford to run at that level do not work on their car and only parrot out stats that they have heard or perceive to be cool.
evealuate teh souce of such claims before making changes based on these figures

....I run 48 IDAs on my 1.7 with an 009 dizzy and a 2" merged 4 to 1 header wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.