Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 vs 2.0 OE Exhaust differences?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete000
I am curious of what is the difference between the 1.8 and the 2.0 exhaust systems in the 914. I know that the 1.8 has the curved up section at the back and the 2.0 is straight.

Is there any other significant differences? Size of tubing, bigger ports, better flow for a larger displacement, etc...?

Do the 2.0 heat exchangers and muffler set up bot on to a 1.8 based engine?
Drums66
.......Better exhaust flow with 2.0 idea.gif
bye1.gif
Tom
Short answer is that stainless steel ex's will flow better.
Long answer is you have too much restriction in both intake and exhaust.
A 2.5 is going to be better with dual carbs and a good header.
You need to visit: aircooled technologies forum. Jakes site, with lots of info on engine combinations.
Tom
Dave_Darling
The 1.8 spans two different types of exhaust. The 2.0 does as well.

The 75-76 exhaust is the same for the 2.0 and the 1.8, and it is pretty lousy.

The 74 1.8 used the same (more or less) exhaust as the 1.7 did, with the kick-up near the end.

The 73-74 2.0 did not have the kick-up. The pipes are also slightly larger diameter than the 1.7 exhaust, and they are a different distance apart. (Important if you are trying to mix and match parts!)

SSI made versions of both the 1.7 and the early 2.0 heat exchangers, but the 1.7 version seems to be less common these days. The diameter of those pipes was the same on both versions, and evidently slightly larger than that of the stock 2.0 pipes.

--DD
TargaToy
Sorry to hijak but how does one ID the stainless HE's by brand or size? My car was fitted with stainless pipes by the PO on the 1.7.

Dave, are you saying they might flow as well as 2.0 pipes? I ask because a 2056 build is in the future plans and not having to upgrade exhaust would be a real nice bonus.
sean_v8_914
1974 only 1.8 has bigger tubes than the early 1.7
Root_Werks
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Feb 17 2011, 07:09 PM) *

Sorry to hijak but how does one ID the stainless HE's by brand or size? My car was fitted with stainless pipes by the PO on the 1.7.

Dave, are you saying they might flow as well as 2.0 pipes? I ask because a 2056 build is in the future plans and not having to upgrade exhaust would be a real nice bonus.

It's been hashed out before, there are some good threads on this:

Bottom line is the company that made SS HE's used the same pipe for 2.0 and 1.8-1.7 HE's.

I'm running the 1.7-1.8 SS-HE's on my 2.0, others have measured the ID and OD of the SS-HE's pipes, they are the same which is slightly larger than stock 2.0 HE's and even larger than 1.7 HE's.

So if you have 1.7 SS HE's, I wouldn't sell them. They'll function the same as the 2.0 SS-HE's.
TargaToy
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is very nice to find out. The PO did something I'm actually PLEASED about biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.