Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stage 1 or Stage 2 Pressure Plate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I've seen it both ways, people using the Stage 1 or 2 KEP pressure plate. What are you using and/or what's recommended? 3.0L to 901 for street use.

9" STAGE 1 223 ft. lb. This pressure plate works well with small Porsche 911 powered 914's or small V6 camper vans. Enjoy good holding power and easy pedal effort.

9" STAGE II 273 ft. lb. This is one used for larger V6 and stock V8 offroad applications and is used by winning unlimited class offroad racers. Also very popular for use in V8 powered 914's under 350 HP.
rfuerst911sc
I went with the Stage II for my 3.0 conversion and have been very happy with it. Easy on the leg, smooth and grabs fine for my stock 3.0. I also purchased from them the clutch disc,ring gear and throwout bearing. All fit well with zero issues.
pcar916
I know folks that are using puck-clutches on the street, but solid is more reliable over time. It's a little better if you are going to have the trans out a lot and can inspect. You would notice if you lost a puck, but it could also damage the surface of your flywheel and pressure plate.

I'm using the same Sachs 225mm sport clutch disc I put in in 1999. Got it from Patrick Motorsports along with a 6.75lb flywheel and a stronger Sachs pressure plate. It puts up with the 3.6L motor just fine, and anyone who knows me knows I don't baby the car.

But I'm very particular about shifting style and not over-stressing the transaxle and clutch assembly. Smooth maintains the bits. And since I use the car as a daily driver, I DO use first gear and I match revs/double clutch habitually.

Lots of folks here will tell you that first a wasted gear with a big motor but that hasn't been my experience at all. There are times when you have to creep, and I've never twisted or broken my mainshaft with a torque blast while in first gear. But I also limit my jackrabbit starts to a few AX's per year.

Good luck
SirAndy
I'm running the Stage II and i suspect it's right at the limit it can handle in terms of torque from my 3.6L ...

Under hard acceleration, i *think* i'm getting some slipping from the clutch. Not sure, but that's what it feels like.

It should be fine for a 3.0L driving.gif
shoguneagle
I am running the KEP Stage #1 because I wanted to have a safety built into the engine and transmission. I expect the clutch is in the middle to low range for a 3.2 engine which is being used for street only.

I had a Stage II clutch on a 914-V8 I build in earlier years and it felt right for that combination. In evaluating the sixer to the v-8 I felt the stage I would be more to my liking and needs. My car is just a long trip road car which I built for dependibility, not for breaking down in the "middle of the Majove Preserve".

Steve Hurt
GeorgeRud
I had a puck type clutch on my 914-6 for a while, and would recommend that you do not consider that type for a street car. By the end of the first day in stop and go traffic, you'll know why!
Krieger
I bought a stage II based on Kennedy's recomendations and so far its been great. But it has not been able to hold the torque to pull my car off the jack stands though. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.