Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Rebuild of a 2.0-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
does any one know if the bolt pattern on a type iv 2.0 914 cylinder is different from the cylinders used in a 911- 6's during the same time period(60-70-s)?
specifically asking if bolt patter is the same spread.

I ask because a local 911 guy has a TRAILER full of heads from 911/6 s. all are nickacil-aluminum vs cast iron, and the guys selling the nickies want $$$$3,000+

so just was thinking------

Phil
brant
I don't know the answer to your question about bolt pattern
but here are a few barriers:

- 2.0 cylinders from 911's (80mm) were steel or biral and not nickasil to my knowledge.
- the stroke of the motor and squish area of the combustion chamber are critical to compression. The wrist pin height of a piston from a 4cylinder small crank and big crank are even different. it would be a 1 in a million chance that the wrist pin height of a 911 piston would be exactly right to give you the propper clearances when combined with a 4cylinder 2.0 rod. you would probably have to fabricate custom rods just to get the lenght. Let alone the big end sizing of the rod
- more stuff that I'm not even smart enough to think of

These kinds of projects usually cost more to overcome the problems of than buying the parts already available and developed

brant
HAM Inc
The pattern is radically different.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Feb 18 2011, 11:46 AM) *

The pattern is radically different.

Kind of what if figured, but was worth asking.

Phil
gms
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 18 2011, 09:29 AM) *

does any one know if the bolt pattern on a type iv 2.0 914 cylinder is different from the cylinders used in a 911- 6's during the same time period(60-70-s)?
specifically asking if bolt patter is the same spread.

I ask because a local 911 guy has a TRAILER full of heads from 911/6 s. all are nickacil-aluminum vs cast iron, and the guys selling the nickies want $$$$3,000+

so just was thinking------

Phil

First question:
Does he have cylinder heads or cylinders or both?
Get the good heads and/or cylinders, sell them and then buy some Nickies.
I would be interested in 911 Cylinders but they would have to be usable cores.
If you stack these parts on top of each other they will probably become damaged usually fins will break off easily.

keep us posted!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.