Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Luckie's engine had low compression on #3....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
This cracked head gasket:

Series9
Ended up as this:

brant
ouch...

going back as a 2.0/4?

stugray
There should not have been ANY head gaskets.

Inspect the head carefully.That breach of the gasket probably wore away some of the mating surface.
If it is not too bad, the heads can be machined to get a new surface.
That will raise your CR if you do not shim under the jugs the amount that was machined off.

Stu
McMark
Whoa! That's a beat up main bearing. Might have a lead on a good 1.8 if you're interested.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 18 2011, 12:55 PM) *

Inspect the head carefully.That breach of the gasket probably wore away some of the mating surface.
If it is not too bad, the heads can be machined to get a new surface.
That will raise your CR if you do not shim under the jugs the amount that was machined off.

Stu

I disagree with you, and I've been building T4 engines professionally since 1973. With the exception of the VW 2.0 engines with the redesigned heads (covered buy the TSB), I always install the head gaskets per the factory service manual. Jake Raby builds them without. He has a different view on the subject, and that's fine with me. Doesn't change either my experience or my opinion.

The Cap'n
Series9
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 18 2011, 04:14 PM) *

Whoa! That's a beat up main bearing. Might have a lead on a good 1.8 if you're interested.

Mark,

All the bearings look pretty rough, but not compared to the cam and lifters. When the flashlight illuminated the cam, the disassembly was on.

You build a lot more of these than I. Show me the detail in the photo which made you make the comment about the main bearing.
Series9
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 18 2011, 03:55 PM) *

Newbie alert!!!!!!
bootyshake.gif chair.gif

rick 918-S
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 18 2011, 08:33 PM) *

Mark,

All the bearings look pretty rough, but not compared to the cam and lifters. When the flashlight illuminated the cam, the disassembly was on.

You build a lot more of these than I. Show me the detail in the photo which made you make the comment about the main bearing.

The center bearing shell in the case half is really worn/discolored.

I'm working on a 2.0 now that had the same head gasket issue but not as bad as Luckies. I had the heads checked and all they really needed were new guides.
Series9
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 18 2011, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 18 2011, 08:33 PM) *

Mark,

The center bearing shell in the case half is really worn/discolored.

I already threw some of the bearings in the trash, but I'll take close-ups of the remaining pieces tomorrow. The bearings are bad, but the cam......ouch.

The funny thing is that it ran better than it had in a long time when I was driving it to the shop to pull it out.
brant
I am NOT an expert on this at all
so hopefully Jake will correct me, or the Capt' will correct me

but more and more of these cases need a line bore upon rebuild. The coper showing on the center bearing but less-so on the ends makes me wonder if your case might be untrue

?

I am building a 2.0 right now
had the case checked by a reputable builder for line bore because I put it together fresh and was disappointed with moderate oil pressure. Took it apart (76 miles fresh) for the line bore check and it was 2 sizes over (1 size over wouldn't clean it up)

so just something to look for
I'm no expert.

brant
Jake Raby
A gasket thats not installed can't fail... If the gaskets were made of a substantial material, my thoughts concerning their use wouldn't be as negative. Three sections of aluminum formed into a gasket of less than .030 thickness isn't my definition of substantial.

No engine that leaves my facility has a stock bore size, so the gaskets could not be used even if we wanted to use them.

What causes them to fail more than anything is overheating and the over-expansion that occurs with that followed by the rapid contraction of the thermal cycle.. This loosens the heads which reduces the clamping load of the head to the cylinder and the gasket.. Then the combustion leaks past and the gasket fails..
stugray
Newbie alert!!!!!!

Jake Raby builds them without. He has a different view on the subject

So who is the newbie. I missed that part....

I am building a 2.0L right at this moment, and plan on no head gaskets.
The OP did not say what engine this came out of.

SCuZe Me!

Stu
Series9
Center main and rod bearings. This engine was finished.

McMark
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 18 2011, 06:33 PM) *

Mark,

You can see the copper colored wear marks clearly here. Bearings shouldn't be wearing down that much. There's a good chance that case needs a line bore as well.
sean_v8_914
out of balance, crank flex, had a wobble? why else would the wear be left to right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.