Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Houston, we have a problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
sad.gif Got the 914 out tonight for the first time since DEC. It started fine, but after a few minutes idling in the driveway I noticed white smoke from the exhaust; checked the gauges--no oil light, but cold oil pressure was less than normal at idle (1-2 bar instead of 4-5 bar). I shut it off and rechecked the oil; it was WAY high, thin, and smelled strongly of gas.

The car has Dells, DRLA 40s. I figure I have a problem with one/both floats, or the needle seats aren't shutting off the fuel flow. I'll check further tomorrow, but thought that I should check with the good folks here and see if you had any ideas on other possibilities (like fuel pressure too high).

Fortunately, no big noises. I'll be changing the oil a couple of times ASAP. Anything else I should do (besides looking for Art Thraen's phone number just in case)?

Thanks in advance!

Steve A-
TheCabinetmaker
Hate to feel stupid, but who is Art?
pcar916
I'd guess float bowl valves/seats. 356's have a petcock under the fuel tank that either opens the valve, switches to the reserve, or shuts off the flow, assuming you remember to shut off the gas.

Lot's of folks didn't even know they had a problem until they forgot to shut it off overnight... or for a month. Then you had to hope you checked your oil before running the engine.
anderssj
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Feb 18 2011, 09:18 PM) *

I'd guess float bowl valves/seats. 356's have a petcock under the fuel tank that either opens the valve, switches to the reserve, or shuts off the flow, assuming you remember to shut off the gas.

Lot's of folks didn't even know they had a problem until they forgot to shut it off overnight... or for a month. Then you had to hope you checked your oil before running the engine.

Thanks for the quick response.

If I understand, if the floats/seats are the problem, the needles/seats don't close, allowing the gas to overfill the carbs' bowls and make it's way down the intake into the crankcase even with the engine and pump off, correct?

Thanks again,

Steve A-
Jesse
dropped mine off at the paint shop before MUSR the painter left the key on (fuel pump running) filled the crankcase with gas, i changed the oil 2 times and went for a drive. I bet with the dells we have the same setup and the fuel pump got left on too long ....good luck
anderssj
QUOTE(Jesse @ Feb 18 2011, 09:45 PM) *

dropped mine off at the paint shop before MUSR the painter left the key on (fuel pump running) filled the crankcase with gas, i changed the oil 2 times and went for a drive. I bet with the dells we have the same setup and the fuel pump got left on too long ....good luck

Thanks!

When I installed the carbs (long, long ago) I included a pressure regulator and a return line to the tank, so if the pump is left on it just recirculates the fuel to the tank. That way it shouldn't over-fill the carbs if the regulator/floats/needles/seats are all working correctly (a big if).

How did you discover the gas in the crankcase? Checked the oil when you picked up the car? Has it caused any long-term problems?

Jesse
It's a good practice to always check the oil before starting any old engine, (car, boat, or yard equipment) . when i found the gas in the oil i dropped the oil out and left the drain out while pouring fresh oil in to flush the gas out, let it sit overnight with the plug out, the next day put the plug back in and filled with oil, rolled the engine over 2 times then drained her again. let that drain relly good then refill as if a normal oil change, (dont forget to change the filter). I ran her for about 2hrs around town here, no smoke or prefomance problems. 2 weeks later we went to MUSR the only problem i had up there was rich mixture (we are at sea level here and 1300ft at MUSR) she has run like a dream lately been driving her to work 2x per week 85mi round trip all winter with no problems.

GOOD LUCK driving.gif
anderssj
QUOTE(Jesse @ Feb 19 2011, 10:43 AM) *

It's a good practice to always check the oil before starting any old engine, (car, boat, or yard equipment) . when i found the gas in the oil i dropped the oil out and left the drain out while pouring fresh oil in to flush the gas out, let it sit overnight with the plug out, the next day put the plug back in and filled with oil, rolled the engine over 2 times then drained her again. let that drain relly good then refill as if a normal oil change, (dont forget to change the filter). I ran her for about 2hrs around town here, no smoke or prefomance problems. 2 weeks later we went to MUSR the only problem i had up there was rich mixture (we are at sea level here and 1300ft at MUSR) she has run like a dream lately been driving her to work 2x per week 85mi round trip all winter with no problems.

GOOD LUCK driving.gif

Thanks for the step-by-step--that's what I'll do. Agree with always checking the oil prior to starting too. I thought "I need to check the oil" at least twice, but after fixing a couple of other issues I guess I forgot about the oil. headbang.gif "Target fixation"--at least that's what we used to call it. I must be getting old(er).

Well, tomorrow is another day.

Thanks again Jesse--I appreciate it.

Steve A-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.