Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2l conversion guys...Air Recirculation Valve?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
Ok..I'm getting very close to putting this engine permanetly in (finished wiring harness, finished fuel lines, test fiitted engine)! I'm now tidying up small things like where to put the charcoal canister and where to hook up some of those lines coming from the throttle body area. One long thinner hose that routes with the oil tank lines has been nagging me on where it goes. Turns out it's an "air recirculation line" that, if I read right on the 911 forum on pelican, connects into the filler neck on the 911 oil tank. Question, is this even needed for our conversions? If it is, what did you do to tie it in?

Also, I'm using my 75 (was mounted on the rear of the engine wall) charcoal canister. The 911 on an 84 (per my manual) only shows 1 connection from the tank and 1 connection to the air box. It has no connection from the fan shrowd like the 914 or older 911's. Is this connector on the canister just left open to suck fresh air in?

Thanks as usual...Jim
brp986s
My carbon canister is running "au natural" shall we say. Maybe should do something about that one of these days. Meantime, I have the case vent going to the filler neck, and the line from the intake boot (with the restrictor) connected to the upper right oil tank. All else on the intake is blocked off. Good luck firing that thing - had quite a few issues with mine.
abnrdo
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Feb 19 2011, 01:56 PM) *

Ok..I'm getting very close to putting this engine permanetly in (finished wiring harness, finished fuel lines, test fiitted engine)! I'm now tidying up small things like where to put the charcoal canister and where to hook up some of those lines coming from the throttle body area. One long thinner hose that routes with the oil tank lines has been nagging me on where it goes. Turns out it's an "air recirculation line" that, if I read right on the 911 forum on pelican, connects into the filler neck on the 911 oil tank. Question, is this even needed for our conversions? If it is, what did you do to tie it in?

Also, I'm using my 75 (was mounted on the rear of the engine wall) charcoal canister. The 911 on an 84 (per my manual) only shows 1 connection from the tank and 1 connection to the air box. It has no connection from the fan shrowd like the 914 or older 911's. Is this connector on the canister just left open to suck fresh air in?

Thanks as usual...Jim

Jim, I also have a 75 that I would like to convert. I have been looking at V8 conversions, but wonder how difficult it is to do a 3.2. Would you recommend the 3.2 conversion? Any advice or lessons learned for someone starting a 3.2 conversion? Is your motor turbo charged?
Thanks,
Jim
jim912928
Jim-abnrdo....no real gotcha's in a 3.2l conversion. From all of the research I have done the 3.2l is one of the easier fits and you get modern day dependable fuel injection. The mechanical part of this is really straight forward...cut off the metal used by the 4 motor mounts, buy a Rich Johnson bulk head mount and have it welded on, get a conversion flywheel starter ring and clutch kit (got my at patrick motorsports) and you now marry the 914 tranny to the 3.2l engine, get some 914-6 engine tin (got mine from Rich Johnson), have the oil cooler modified for the 914 configuration (had mine modified by Rich Johnson and got his oil line kit), get the throttle linkage kit (got mine from rich Johnson), installing a 914-6 oil tank (I got an aftermarket replica) and finally headers/exchangers and a muffler. At this point the engine/tranny just bolts in.

The time consuming work is the odds and ends...wiring (I'll write mine up once my engine fires...but that took a lot of time to figure out and I received a lot of help from in here), fuel lines starting at the tank all the way back and laying out the routing of stuff in the engine compartment that goes around the engine. You'll have a lot less fab work with the 3.2l (a 3.0 with CIS is harder because the fuel injection parts are bulkier) and larger just requires some additional fab work with engine tin and oil cooler. The 3.2l seems pretty sweet and easy. Definitely for me, the hardest most time consuming parts have been electrical connections and fuel lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.