Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping car to europe?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
I'm selling a '68 911L, that's a non-operative project car. I've been contacted by a fellow off the early 911S page that is interested. He wants to wire the money and have me meet a carrier to take the car for export shipment.

I'm already familiar with getting international wires, and have a separate secure account, but any other pit falls to look out for? Any advice would be appreciated!

FWIW here's the car

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...to&p=498079
r_towle
I have done it about 10 or 15 times, no big deal.
The buyer needs to setup all shipping with his local country shipping company.
That company handles subcontracting the local and long distance haulers to get it to the international docks, for me that is NJ.

You have a non-op car.
The local shipper, who will call you to setup the time of pickup, needs to be reminded more than once that the car is non-op and they need to bring a short trailer to ensure they can get to your shop door.

The trailer needs a winch also.

The short haulers that run around on the east coast use a dually truck and a 3-5 car trailer, so they can get places an 18 wheeler cannot.

Once, I had a local shipper send the 18 wheeler who had to stay on the street....we towed the car out there with a tractor, that sucked.

Rich
turbo2
QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 20 2011, 09:39 AM) *

I'm selling a '68 911L, that's a non-operative project car. I've been contacted by a fellow off the early 911S page that is interested. He wants to wire the money and have me meet a carrier to take the car for export shipment.

I'm already familiar with getting international wires, and have a separate secure account, but any other pit falls to look out for? Any advice would be appreciated!

FWIW here's the car

I have shipped two cars and it was pretty painless, used one of the companies advertising in "Classic Cars" (cant remember which one). I went out for quotes and chose the most reasonable one, paid with credit card, dropped of the car at the agreed spot and a couple of weeks later it showed up in the other end.

Also in my youth I worked on ships carrying cars and have fond memories of sneaking down the car decks revving the guts out of a brand new Aston Martin. Therefore if you have an rpm limiter turn it all the way down.

Good luck

Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(turbo2 @ Feb 20 2011, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 20 2011, 09:39 AM) *

FWIW here's the car

I have shipped two cars and it was pretty painless, used one of the companies advertising in "Classic Cars" (cant remember which one). I went out for quotes and chose the most reasonable one, paid with credit card, dropped of the car at the agreed spot and a couple of weeks later it showed up in the other end.

Also in my youth I worked on ships carrying cars and have fond memories of sneaking down the car decks revving the guts out of a brand new Aston Martin. Therefore if you have an rpm limiter turn it all the way down.

Good luck

So that was you huh? Thanks. That car ran great when it got here driving.gif laugh.gif .
r_towle
I forgot one thing.
Because the local hauler is subcontracted from the overseas shipper, they bid it out to the lowest price bidder.
these guys tend to be a bit more than flaky.
Get a cell number for the driver.
Force them to commit to a time and date, then call them that morning to confirm.
They do get behind schedule and if you know they will be a day late, you can go to work and take tomorrow off instead.
Remind everyone you talk with that the car is non-op and they will need a winch to load it...just keep reminding them.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.