Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HF transmission jack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

First time putting the engine in the car with this jack. Also the first time I did it solo.

Really the only problem was supporting the transmission. As Chris pointed out the balance point is behind the engine, so had to get creative. I do need to look at Chris's platform to see if it would work with the bottom of my engine (tuna can and exterior oiling system). Otherwise something will have to be built to extend back and support the transmission.

Being able to adjust the engine side to side really helped getting the cross bar into position to bolt down. I did have to jack up the transmission up to meet that acute angle of the car. FYI the lower engine sheet metal was 35" above ground.

Taking the one set of TB's off worked great, no problems with clearance, other than trying to do the job without screwing up the plumbing or electrical for the FI.

Now I have to start the exercise to hook up everything, which is a bit more complicated on this engine than most. Especially the oiling system.

After two years I found myself looking for the pictures I took before I removed the engine. Where did my memory go? rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment
Randal

Engine and transmission in and bolted down.

Click to view attachment
Woody
Looks like your missing your trunk clips for the targa top. biggrin.gif
Borderline
WOW! Looks pretty busy in there. I like to keep things simple so I can understand them. hehehehe Those velocity stacks look nice. Where are they from? What size injector stacks are you running? I think you need to show off the welding on that cage of yours. Those Tig welds are beautiful! biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 21 2011, 01:07 PM) *

I do need to look at Chris's platform to see if it would work with the bottom of my engine (tuna can and exterior oiling system).

Have I ever let you down Randal? poke.gif biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 21 2011, 08:29 PM) *

I do need to look at Chris's platform to see if it would work with the bottom of my engine (tuna can and exterior oiling system).

Nope. Never. And your stuff works!

Can't wait to get this puppy back on the dyno.
Randal
QUOTE(Borderline @ Feb 21 2011, 07:44 PM) *

WOW! Looks pretty busy in there. I like to keep things simple so I can understand them. hehehehe Those velocity stacks look nice. Where are they from? What size injector stacks are you running? I think you need to show off the welding on that cage of yours. Those Tig welds are beautiful! biggrin.gif

Those are TRW's. The ones on the car are 45mm. I have another set, but I think they are smaller. Tomorrow I'll measure them for you.

Yea the tig welding is very nice. I think I'm going to just clean the crome moly bars and put on some w-40. Might look OK.

Update: The extra set of velocity stacks have a 45mm opening.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 21 2011, 09:58 PM) *

Will be cool to see wheel dyno on that motor. Do you use a Dyno Jet? Would really be interested in SAE corrected numbers you see.

I'm turning into sort of a Dyno nerd since my new sponsor gives me free dyno time on his Dyno Jet. I have done something like 30 pulls in a few weeks! I make a change and I'm on the dyno. I never realized the amount of variation in Dyno numbers until I spent more time on one. I now realize that high Dyno number really doesnt reflect true operating conditions so we do several pulls with engine in various stages of warm and cool. Especially important with era of electronics. I can see 15 HP variances just based on engine temps alone. Dont think I will ever look at quoted dyno numbers the same. I do about 4 or 5 passes after mods and compare those passes to previous passes at base line. If all the passes show improvement then I feel comfortable that I have made right changes.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 23 2011, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 21 2011, 09:58 PM) *

Will be cool to see wheel dyno on that motor. Do you use a Dyno Jet? Would really be interested in SAE corrected numbers you see.

I'm turning into sort of a Dyno nerd since my new sponsor gives me free dyno time on his Dyno Jet. I have done something like 30 pulls in a few weeks! I make a change and I'm on the dyno. I never realized the amount of variation in Dyno numbers until I spent more time on one. I now realize that high Dyno number really doesnt reflect true operating conditions so we do several pulls with engine in various stages of warm and cool. Especially important with era of electronics. I can see 15 HP variances just based on engine temps alone. Dont think I will ever look at quoted dyno numbers the same. I do about 4 or 5 passes after mods and compare those passes to previous passes at base line. If all the passes show improvement then I feel comfortable that I have made right changes.

It will be run on Vic Sias's dyno in Mountain View. He's comfortable with the Link setup and will be confirming (or altering) the map over 6100 where we didn't get to go the first time down at Roger Crowford's in SoCal. Neal Harvey from Performance Development (and Roger) did the original fuel mapping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.