Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT_Subaru conversion guys look at this.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BIGKAT_83
Factory five has a new kit car comming later this year. Uses a Subaru WRX car as a donor.
Space frame chassis. 95" wheelBase
Mid Engine rear wheel drive
1800lbs total weight
Two seat roadster with removable hardtop
No paint gel coat
$9900 target price$15000 total build price.
Kinda sounds like a light weight 914. These people are makers of the cobra kit car and have made over 8000 kits so they know how to do it.FactoryFive link

Bob
jimkelly
the teaser ...

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/update/nextcar/info.html

Cheapsnake
Can't wait to see what this thing looks like and if it's coming from Factory Five I have no questions at all about its quality or customer support. I built a FF "Roadster" (it's NOT a C*bra in case any of Carroll's lawyers are reading this) and couldn't be happier with it. As a bonus, the guys on the FFcars.com forum will provide any help you could possibly need to complete the project. Must resist...must resist...
ottox914
I read about this in automobile a couple wks ago and almost wet myself. Can't wait to see what its going to look like, and find out if they take trades...
pktzygt
Son of a B....

I'll still take my 37 year old technology mixed with new technology conversion over it. But I can imagine that if this had been out a few years ago I would have been very tempted. I always wanted a Factory Five Roadster, but the cost and fear of rain pointed me to the 914.
BIGKAT_83
Here is a picture(maybe photoshop) of a car being built as a kit by one of the owners of factory five. Its made in a factory next door to FactoryFive and uses VW Jetta as a donor almost the same specs as the Subaru car. They already have some of these out to test builders. There are other pictures on the net of this with a hardtop.....

Click to view attachment

Bob
pktzygt
OK, quick! You guys that spent all your time and money to do the axles and the AWD-2wd conversion on the subaru transmission need to go and get patents on your work or something.

That thing looks pretty sweet though.
BIGKAT_83
I suspect what they will do is use the complete front suspension sub frame of the Subaru WRX and just mount it as a rear wheel drive. Thats the way its done on the Jetta car pictured. Just lock the wheels in posistion where they won't steer. All they need to do then is make a sleeve to remove the rear diff.

Bob
jpnovak
there are a few companies doing this. here is my favorite.

http://www.matrixmotorwerks.com/TR-42.php

Matrix motor werks offers this for an air-cooled Type IV/901 or a Suby drivetrain.

Here is more about their build specs.

http://www.exocars.net/forumdisplay.php?f=57

d914
pretty close to this...

Click to view attachment
J P Stein
Ah.......something to do in my retirement. biggrin.gif
daveyboybadion
A single guy can never have too many projects, so I put the money down for the last beta FFR G3F Jetta TDI roadster kit. It's due for release in July; now I have to find a donor.
However in reference to Factory5 Subie WRX kit, Factory5 put a shout out to all you amateur car designers to send in ideas of what the new Subie kit body will look like. Here's your chance to create a modern 914...daveyboy
DBCooper
It's apparently as good as advertised, and in reading this article in Road & Track (HERE) it sounded a LOT like my 914/WRX. I mean a less polished interior and things, but in performance terms a LOT a lot like my car.

IPB Image

Track version:

IPB Image

Street version:

IPB Image

IPB Image

bulitt
Requested info on this kit but they have not yet reached a start date.
BIGKAT_83
There are a couple beta kits in Atlanta. If you ordered one now its a 14 month lead time. They have over 200 kits ordered.
I've been up to the factory outside of Boston and looked at these. Very nice!

Bob biggrin.gif
CptTripps
I've been looking at these for a while...

Ordered a kit yesterday. I'm looking at about a 6-8 month wait, so this looks like a fun winter project!

Talked to Wayne at VeryCoolParts.com and he said he's never seen one put together in more than about 250hrs. I think I can handle that.

With the options I want, I'll be about $19K into it. (Big brakes and a few Carbon-fiber bits.) VCP also sells a package where he'll gut the donor car and just send what you need instead of me having to gut the car myself. I like that better because A: the price is about the same. B: I don't have to yank shit off of a car I'm likely going to take to the scrap-yard anyway.

Now...working on finishing the project I HAVE.
Portia
Cool! Will you keep a thread on the build? That would be interesting to watch. My husband and I have an old, faithful 2002 WRX so we've been interested in this kit.
Andyrew
Very cool! Please keep a build thread going or send us a link! I'd love to do the same thing as well some day.
CptTripps
I'm already on the lookout for a bunch of the stuff I'll need. I was going to go the "box-o-parts route, but my motor builder may have an 06 with a blown motor that I can get for $1,500. If I'm having him re-build the motor anyway, I may as well go that direction. I'll start a thread in the sandbox when I get closer to the actual build. I downloaded the build manual today and it really looks quite straight-forward.

It's going to be fun doing a conversion that actually has instructions!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.