Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feul rail - original finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Have a set of fuel rails for my '72 that are "cad" plated.

Back in my concours days, my rails were polished (by me) to a brilliance of chrome. Know that's not correct, but the new rails are spec. Been too long for me to remember the correct "original" finish.

So.......
Pat
IronHillRestorations
It's a satin silver cad ir zinc finish, it's not shiney.
Tom_T
Pat, look at Steve's/smg914 Sahara Beige engine bay pix in the O&H "The few, the rare...." which shows a glimpse.

PM him to shoot a pic close-up if you need it better.
IronHillRestorations
It's a satin silver finish, it's not shiney. I don't know if it's cad, zinc, or anodized though.
McMark
Clear/silver zinc.
tod914
I picked up a set of NOS ones from George for the 73 2.0. He might have them for your 1.7 as well. Just like the other guys mentioned, clear zinc/cad (flat silvery). Eastwood has a clear zinc rattle can that matches the finish nicely. Used it on decel valve and was happy with the results.
McMark
True zinc plating is NOT expensive. Find a local plater and send out a whole batch. Got a large box of small pieces done for about $150.
Pat Garvey
Honestly don't remember if I bought these from the Factory or not, and I can't get to them because 2 cars are blocking my "vault" right now.

What I can say is that the rails are new, and plated with a cad-type finish.

When I can break through the winter parking problem & get to the "vault" I'll show pic's of many of those parts.
Pat
Pat Garvey
OK, in the 60's today - broke into the vault.

Some of you may be aware that I'm a parts whore. I usually keep precise records of all items, but the only additional info on these parts is a comment of "new". During the same timeframe that I acquire the fuel rail I also got a "new" AAR, which has the same finish. Pic shows thjat there is a very light cad-type plating on each. Fuel rails appear to be new. The AAR is definitely new.
MDG
Those look fantastic Pat. From the photos they look much more gold toned than the rails on my '73 2.0

Might be the difference in model years, engine spec or simply that the coating dulls back with usage and heat.
tod914
Purdy. I think the finishes can vary slightly from when the batches are produced. I've ordered injector holder brackets and some were clear zinc (silver), and other had a yellowish tint. Think next time I have some plating done, I'll send out my decel valve. I'm jealous now tongue.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 28 2011, 06:44 PM) *

Purdy. I think the finishes can vary slightly from when the batches are produced. I've ordered injector holder brackets and some were clear zinc (silver), and other had a yellowish tint. Think next time I have some plating done, I'll send out my decel valve. I'm jealous now tongue.gif

Tod,
Have a bunch of injector holders, some new, some not. But none of them have a cad-type hue to them, though I wish they did. I'll stay with clear zinc coating for these, though it would be nice to have a total match.
Pat
tod914
That's why I ended up with about 4 sets of those clamps. Wanted a perfect match.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 28 2011, 04:44 PM) *

Think next time I have some plating done, I'll send out my decel valve. I'm
jealous now tongue.gif

I dunno if that's a good idea. Wouldn't the plating process damage any "soft" parts that may be inside the valve. Unless you disassembled it...
tod914
I asked the plater the same question. He said he would plug it. I guess it would be uneffected if plugged?
detoxcowboy
Here is a pic of a set from a recent estate find where the entire fi was wrapped in 1976 news print and found in a bedroom closet,, unbelievable condition OE everything... ( I posted regarding value here but got no response or interest really)

Also pat are you using the correct injector bands? the one time use need to cut to get off ect.. see pics..

1974 2.0 FI in OE as found in 1976 Newsprint

Click to view attachment

One Time Use OE Fuel INjector Band (must cut to remove and this one is cut)
Click to view attachment

Fuel Rails
Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy

FuelRails in Full SUn for Patina
Click to view attachment

An Original OE fuel line clamps(not what I had to cut)

Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 28 2011, 04:43 PM) *

Those look fantastic Pat. From the photos they look much more gold toned than the rails on my '73 2.0

Might be the difference in model years, engine spec or simply that the coating dulls back with usage and heat.

I agree

I believe the fuel rail to never had been cad plated, they used cad plating not as often as they do now..
detoxcowboy
OE Fuel Pressure and Decel NEVER CAD PLATED though the OEM is now ..

plus these re-cad plated parts are obivius not Orignal cad plate
you can see it in the color flaw and it does not last when used as
intended, I have had many re-caplated parts and hardware. It weaars off
in 2 months where the Original Cadlate that has been on my car 35 years outlast it ,.,.

NO CAD PLATE OE Parts
Click to view attachment

Cad Plate OE part (you can see the difference compared to a re-cad it is dull sheen not color shifting shinny and you can see the red green as non metallic)
Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy
more pics comming right now of OE plated fi parts
detoxcowboy
No CAD PLATEClick to view attachment
OE CAD PLATEClick to view attachment
NO CAD PLATEClick to view attachment
detoxcowboy
CAD PLATEClick to view attachment
OE FUEL PRESSURE REG AND DECEL NO CAD PLATE EVER NOT A SPOT Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
I got rid of the one-time-use injector clamps many years ago on the advise of a Porsche mechanic. Cut them off with a dremel.

The "cad" plated fuel rails, as well as the decel valve are new from Porsche. I have no doubts that the color is derived from something other than cad plating, as it is so dangerous to people & the environment. Don't quote me on this but it's me belief that REAL cadmium plating was abandoned many years ago due to the nature of the horrible chemicals involved. Sorta like the old time liberal use of lead in bodywork (have some of that too). Most of the oldtimer lead experts are long dead.
Pat
detoxcowboy
I agree with whatever you say sincerly as I have no Concourse experience and do not pretend to be, just shared what I have.

Eastwood has a cad paint 3 parts but is recomend a 4th part whihc is the clear coat giving th esheen to the paint creating the finish cad plate look.. those whom did not clear coat had poor resultsa but those whom did had great results.. 911` guys use it, so the threads in 911 cad plating is the best for reading actual experiences with it. joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.