Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil in & on the heat exchanger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ELLIOTT
Is thier any danger of the oil in and on a heat exchanger catching fire (a little freaky seeing smoke rising out of the engine bay)? I am getting ready to change the push rod tube seals hence the oil and HE's.
thanks
Elliott
Dave_Darling
A little oil turns into a lot of smoke. I'd suggest cleaning off as much as you can with brake cleaner. The rest will burn off, but the amount of smoke may surprise you.

--DD
914itis
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 21 2011, 11:31 PM) *

A little oil turns into a lot of smoke. I'd suggest cleaning off as much as you can with brake cleaner. The rest will burn off, but the amount of smoke may surprise you.

--DD

Mine caught fire with oil on the exhangers from the push rods, I was lucky and other driver told me and i extinguished the fire fast, there was no damadge.

Be careful!
SLITS
Never had one catch fire ... I use EasyOff Oven cleaner
914itis
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 22 2011, 08:40 AM) *

I must admit it was dripping one drop per second.
sfrenck
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 22 2011, 08:40 AM) *

I used the EasyOff based on Slits recommendation. Seemed to work well, but there was still some residual smoke. Also, I had my exchangers off the car when I did this (also was replacing my pushrod tube seals and checking valve clearances).
mrdkrantz
I had it catch fire too. My pushrod tube leaked bad. It toasted the alt and wire from alt to starter. I was in the middle a road trip.
I patched the leak, pop the belt off, and drove another 100 miles with no alt.

I would clean it with brake clean and change the seals
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.