Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil/tranny oil questions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
ok, bear with me... part of this is similar to other past threads, I know... but I can't find a clear cut answer to some things that pertain to my specific situation...

1) the 2056 I am putting in has 1500 miles on a complete rebuild... will using castrol synthetic blend 20-50 (not my first choice, but I already have it) be bad to use for the first 500-1000 miles I put on it?

2) I plan on using Valvoline Full synthetic afterwards, because that is what Jake recommends for cool temps... what weight though? 20-50?

3) I have heard a lot of people SWEAR by swepco 201 tranny oil.. again, I want to use what I already have for the first little bit... I have some slick-50 80w-90... will that be ok, until I can find something better?

4) I was talking to a guy today at the FLAPS: he was buying a TON of this "Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer" I've always looked at this stuff as snake oil, so I asked him... "does that Shit work?!?!" he said HELL YES!!! he runs a super-modified car (2 actually) and he said it has saved his engines more than once... once he got a hole in the oil pan, lost all the oil, but was still able to finish the race... when they pulled the eninge... he swears there was no wear on the rod bearing and everything was good... now, he may be full of bs.gif but he sure seemed like a believer... so I am wondering now... has anyone tried this stuff in our engines? it basically looks like a really heavy oil.. very sticky (he said when you pull out the dipstick, the shit strings everywhere...), but flows like water(or a THIN oil) (so it appears)... he said the oil pressure may jump up a bit...
basically the conversation made me very curious about something I have totally dismissed...

thanks for all you guys' help!
TimT
once he got a hole in the oil pan, lost all the oil, but was still able to finish the race

Most engines go south real quick when they lose there supply of oil....

Ive heard that hole in the oil pan story before... from Lucas distibutor at a local car show..

Ok now beyond the snake oil stuff

If the slick50 gear oil meets the minimum specs required for your gear box it will be fine...
Aaron Cox
im interested too!

would like to know....

tat: you get my package yet???? 50 lbs matey!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(acox914 @ Apr 29 2004, 08:41 PM)
im interested too!

would like to know....

tat: you get my package yet???? 50 lbs matey!

YES! I got it today... I was going to email you and flat out forgot...

the box had seen better days... only tape was keeping it together... and it was more round than square! biggrin.gif thanks for sending it!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(TimT @ Apr 29 2004, 07:51 PM)
once he got a hole in the oil pan, lost all the oil, but was still able to finish the race

Most engines go south real quick when they lose there supply of oil....

Ive heard that hole in the oil pan story before... from Lucas distibutor at a local car show..

Ok now beyond the snake oil stuff

If the slick50 gear oil meets the minimum specs required for your gear box it will be fine...

ok, and what minimum specs do I need to know to compare against? huh.gif

I kinda am thinking snake-oil stuff too... but I was just curious if anyone tried it and what the results were with aircooled engines like ours... idea.gif

I'm damn sure not going to be the first to test it biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Snake oil=Slick 50......dump it on some other sucker, use the good stuff.
Red-Beard
I have spent many many hours pondering the Schlepco debate....

It is Gear Oil. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Hype comes from Anderson who had _bearing_ problems and used the very heavy version (Swepco 210) to prevent further racing breakdowns.

A bunch of people use 201 in their tranny and _swear_ they shift better. Read the Birds info and you will notice beautiful, poetic, descriptions of "Customer Comments".

Quote:

This stuff is the industry standard for keeping your transmission alive and kicking. Some owners will swear that their transmission shifts better when its loaded with Swepco 201. No additives are needed - they're all in there, including a new super-duper, space-age, low-fat, high fiber additive call Lubium that forms a protective film on the internal components. And, if that isn't enough, it's this really cool blue color too!

Even they don't believe the hype.

I expect that _any_ changeout of tranny oil would have helped.

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.