Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
A few questions about CV joints:

1) Does anyone sell CV joint parts or components? In other words, if I took the joint apart and the joint was generally good but needed a new ball or maybe a new inner race, are these parts available separately? I ask because I know OEM ones are NLA.

2) Is it possible to remove the half shafts/CVs with the transmission still in the car? Said differently, do people service and replace the CVs with the transmission installed, or do you have to remove the transmission to get the half-shafts out?

Thanks!

Rich
stugray
1 - parts are not available separately and parts are not generally mix & match (MAYBE if the part numbers are identical).

2 - you can remove the entire half shaft with the tranny in the car.

You can also use Beetle CVs, but holes must be machined for the pins.

Stu
rwilner
Thanks Stu -- good to know.
quadracerx
Does anyone sell the CV's pre-drilled? And are they sold in sets or individually?

Thanks...

Steve
rwilner
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Feb 22 2011, 03:36 PM) *

Does anyone sell the CV's pre-drilled? And are they sold in sets or individually?

Thanks...

Steve

PMB sells CVs pre-drilled (LINK). You'll need to reuse the roll-pins from your existing CVs or purchase new ones.

Or, pelican sells high-performance CVs and axles (LINK). No experience with them but they are not cheap.

Chris also sells CVs and complete axle / CV assemblies (LINK).

r_towle
PMB Performance did sell the setup of beetle CV joints...not sure if he still does.

There are other options of using the 944 pieces and I think Sir Andy wrote an article in our classics forum describing what parts and pieces you need for that.

930 axles and CV joints are also available for the guys who push more HP...

I think there is also a higher torque Bus CV joint solution out there.

I think with all the other solutions, the 914 CV joint market is not large enough to service when we can adapt readily available parts to work.

RIch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.