Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interest in hubs w/non-Porsche bolt-patterns??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
This would allow one to purchase a much greater selection of quality aftermarket rims in almost any size (15"-18" wheels)

Many of these Honda rims have a 38 to 40mm offset.....to get a 7" rim under the stock rear fenders, a 35mm offset is perfect or about as perfect as one will get with these cars

One option would be brand new /4 front rotors drilled/spotfaced with new 12mmx1.5 studs of appropriate length with redilled /4 rear hubs (used of course) with same studs.

Nothing wrong with the Porsche rims., but this would give one more choices.
My personal favorite right now for a good lite rim is this one which cost in the 140 dollar range:

IPB Image
seanery
Mueller,
seanery
Mueller,

Are you thinking about making some?

Would they be cost effective? The wheel price you picked out is pretty low.

Something to think about, but I like Fuchs (4 & 5 lug) and 4 lug Mahle's.
Mueller
Cost effective?

This would be the list:

New front rotors (used okay if within spec using customer supplied units)
new rear rotors (used okay if within spec using customer supplied units)
rear hubs on an exchange basis
new studs (~15 bucks per corner, race quality)

I figure depending on the response, about 100 to 150 for the labor, possibly cheaper....I'll figure it out when I do the first set for my car.......

mueller
L8Apex
Since I am a honda guy, I should have a say in this topic. clap56.gif

Many of the front drive imports out there, like the Civic and the CRX I own, all run anything between +36 to +44 offsets. You can occasionally find some japanese wheels made for the narrower rear drive imports in offsets of +20 to +32. Volk racing makes a lot of crazy sized wheels too. They are expensive though. Rota wheels are cheap, and made in the philipines... But they sometimes have some weird offsets also. You can get Rota wheels for really cheap. Especially in the 15" range. They go from about $90 to $140. Popular amongst the honda guys and the Spec miata guys.
Mueller
I just picked up one of these for testing, Honda 4 bolt pattern and offset...
cost a whole 24 bucks via eBay smile.gif

they are on sale right now at tirerack for 111.00 each...not bad at all.

IPB Image
krk
Mike,

I think this is a cool idea! But since I drive a 5-lug beast, I won't be buying anything. I decided not to vote as I wasn't sure if I'm in your target audience anyway. That's a guess of course. I'm thinking you're mostly interested in the number of positives you get, yes?

kim.
Brad Roberts
I voted yes... but I have a interest in these.

Now:

All of these wheels look great in pics. Do they actually look nice on the car or does it remind you of a Miata ?? JasonS and I test fit his 17x9's on his Silver rabbit flared 914. It "looked" Porsche. Porsche wheels, Porsche body, Euro looking flares, the combo fit very well. I personally like the idea of cheaper wheels... but will my 914 end up looking like a Miata ??

Mike.. go the other direction and do what the wheel companies are doing now: They are offering classic wheels in + sizes. Lets do a 4 lug 2.0 Fuch in a 16 or 17 6.5 inches wide.

B
DuckRyder
Honda (correct honda anyway) have a small center bore, VW(FWD)/bmw wheels (same 4/100)pattern might be more appropriate.
Mueller
I'm still working on the 16" and 17" 4 lug Fuch, in fact the wheel halves are from a fellow in New Zealand that drives an early 911 RS replica with a twin turbo flat six ......oh, it's a Subaru motor smile.gif

My "donor" 4 lug Fuch is sitting in the garage awiating a trip to the shop to get CMM'd
Mark Henry
I like the option of different wheel choices.

I’m a bug guy and have always customized my cars, but with the teen I am trying to leave it fairly stock looking.

The modified Fuchs really has my interest, how are you going to do that one? Any price guessimate on this one?
Mueller
Mark,

I plan on trying to do the 3-piece 4 lug fuch just like they do with the 5 lug version.....cut the center section out, drill a radial pattern on the outside diameter and bolt on new spun aluminum outer halves.

The biggest hurdle is finding the perfect sized outer half.

IPB Image

The rim halves are in the 50 to 75 dollar range (each, and that is not including the hardware and labor)
cha914
The early BMW's (e30's) also run the 4X100 pattern, so there are several cool, lightweight wheels for them also...however, most are quite expensive...

The ones I like best are from Volk, Compmotive (I think), and BBS...but most run in the 500each and up range..

Tony
kdfoust
Yeah, I love the idea. It would be great to have a wide range of wheels to choose from. If you look at some of the wheels on the ricer rides you'll see there are many very cool designs.

Have fun,
Kevin
jd74914
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Jan 12 2003, 11:45 PM) *

Yeah, I love the idea. It would be great to have a wide range of wheels to choose from. If you look at some of the wheels on the ricer rides you'll see there are many very cool designs.

I agree. There are many not so ricer honda options
JPB
Hey this is a great idea!!! I think there are so many good quality rims out there which would only make our rides cooler and lighter? If you have a popular patern for us to use, go for it! It would be cool to have blank stub axels and blank front rotors to custom tap if nothing else. They have this stuff at CB performance for bugs why not us? We'er the cool ones right not them!

popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
Why not just offer a re-drill service. I had the wheels re-drilled on both these cars.

The stock body 2002 had mesh style wheels off a Mustang II. I had a slots drilled and Mag washers installed.

Then these Wheels on this wide body car are HRE 3 piece Large by huge. I had a second bolt pattern drilled to fit the 914 4 bolt. I almost used these wheels instead of my Fuch. I ended up selling the Wheels to a friend for his 914. (still under construction)

I think it's way easier to change the bolt pattern in the wheel than the hub.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.