Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radar detector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Okay what should I get if I am driving down to WCC. I cannot afford another ticket. I am not concerned with the cost, I just want the one that works the best.
TIA
CCLINICAN'TDRIVE55
3liter914-6
QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 29 2004, 11:08 PM)
Okay what should I get if I am driving down to WCC. I cannot afford another ticket. I am not concerned with the cost, I just want the one that works the best.
TIA
CCLINICAN'TDRIVE55

Valentine 1 is generally regarded to be the best. In recent tests the Passport 8500 has come close and even surpassed the V1 in a few areas, but generally the V1 is rated best overall. Plus it's upgradeable.

I lost mine a while back, so I'm going to pick one up for the drive as well.
campbellcj
OK here' s one vote for the V1 (Valentine One)

It saves my a$$ regularly...like twice a day
Joe Bob
V1.....has arrows and tells HOW many hits you are getting....BTW, the newer brake lights on the SUVs will give you a false alarm on Laser......
campbellcj
The false laser alarms on the V1 are growing to be a PITA.

But our local Sheriffs are now using laser (on PCH), so I don't dare turn it off.

I did however turn off the old-school "X" band as it is not used around here. Which is another cool thing about the V1 -- some tailoring capability is built-in. Also, the wiring is included to hardwire it to the car to avoid that clunky lighter-plug setup.
drew365
Another vote for the V-1. Just last week it told me there were two chippy's around when I could only see the one behind me that was exiting the freeway. It's the instant on laser that will get you. They need to come up with a stealth shield.
smrz914
another for the v1. I have a cobra and I know it has paid for itself and my friends. I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for in this department. The valentine will pay for itself! Next one I get is a Valentine.
joea9146
V1 ... for me.
Tells number of hits and direction of Radar.

Do not 100% rely on the radar keep your eyes open and be aware of
whats around you. Never be the lead car. The Insant on and Laser
will still nail you no matter what detector you have. But it is a
good defense.
rhodyguy
the best radar detector? jim driving ahead of you. wink.gif . got fan belts(i just remembered)? laugh.gif

kevin
MJHanna
V 1 it tells more info them the others when they work in pairs and you think your clear it shows more than one. Once you get one nothing else is close. The lasers not great but its the same issue with them all
smilie_pokal.gif
lmcchesney
I ran across this site. I do not know if it is real, legar or a Lesco make you a millionare book site. The 914 has no 90° surfaces in the front unless you raise your headlignts and the driving lights down low. The rear bumber flat spot for the tag is a big flat surface. Has any one looked at what stelth properties the 914 has. Corvets are said to be very stelthy on approach.
L. McChesney
seanery
part of the corvette's stealth is due to the fiberglass panels and size. We have size, but most of us have mostly intact steel panels. We're better than an SUV or minivan, but not invisible.
Mark Henry
Illegal in Ontario sad.gif

The cops have radar detector-detectors, big fine.

They're not too bad here unless you're an ass. Doesn't matter how fast I go someone is always going faster, so I just get behind them and hang back a little.
Joe Bob
Just curious....is it a radar violation if you are registered in another state?
Mark Henry
Big sign at the Ontario, Canada border "Handguns and radar detectors illeagal in Ontario"

Big fines and you will not get them back.

As a kid (early 70's) I remember seeing an American with a sidearm getting took down by a cop at a service station. "I have a permit for that gun!" "Not in Canada you don't. Didn't you see the big sign at the border!!" Then he shouted "When do I get it back?"
"You don't!" replied the cop. He took him away to the cop shop.
Joe Bob
Canada...not as bad as Mexico.....at least...most of you still speak the same language.

The detectors in the US are regulated by State...so a CA resident should not be hassled say in DC....
Kerrys914
Yep.. Virginia has the big NO on radar detectors too sad.gif

They will ticket and remove your detector from instate and out of state cars.

Back in the day the rumor was they had the right to destroy the detector on the spot. Not sure if that was true.

Kerry
boxstr
Well , I guess the general consesus is the Valentine V1 is the way to go. Thank you everyone for the input, except Kevin. smile.gif
CCLINPANSYBOYONPARADE
mike_the_man
I vote for a Valentine 1 also. I don't have one yet, but when I do break down and buy a detector, it'll be a V1. You can send it back for software and hardware upgrades, so you never have to buy another one. You can also turn on and off certain features that you want. The case is metal instead of plastic, so it won't break if you drop it.

The only place to buy them is straight from the maker, they're not sold in any stores, so no middle man. Find the Valentine 1 web site and place your order today!

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with V1 (even though I sound like a commercial), I just really like em.
3liter914-6
Ok, wanted to make sure they still offered it before I posted up the info. I just got off the phone with Valentine and they have refurb./returned units in stock. Carry the same warranty and are $359 vs $399. I've bought one of these in the past and was indistinguishable in appearance, and actually performed better than the brand new one I bought (which I had to send back because of some sort of interference problem). They had a few left, so good chance to save a few bucks on a fine piece of machinery.
lmcchesney
Mark,
Ineffective use of a sidearm.
I crossed the Ont. border a few years ago. Got the dystonic Canidian border agent. "You own any guns, tobacco or explovies?" Naw, only the green american money you live on.
Does not the VG2 system work. Touted to prevent police detection of a radar unit.
Stelth and metal car. Angle of incidence is equal to angle of devlection. Is there another phisic law?

L. McC
Mueller
I heard in CA, they are banning the use of radar detectors..not sure when it is supposed to go into effect, anyone hear this as well???
Joe Bob
Where'd ya hear that?
415PB
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 30 2004, 02:46 PM)
I heard in CA, they are banning the use of radar detectors..not sure when it is supposed to go into effect, anyone hear this as well???

Nope, haven't heard that one yet. But I will say this...If the radar doesn't get you. The laser will. There is no defense for it. You can read all you want how these companies gaurantee to detect the laser. But I am hear to tell you that I receive a speed reading on my laser in 3 tenths of a second when the trigger is pulled. The laser is off until you pull the trigger. If you can react that fast, then you are one helluva human being. The laser detectors will detect it, but by then, it's too late. IMHO of course.
morph
Recently got a $250 speeding ticket by a motorcycle cop using a laser, and I was in the right lane and someone was passing me!!!WTF. Do these work on the photo radar that the city of Beaverton and Portland (OR) are so fond of???
rhodyguy
slow down.

kevin
Mark Henry
QUOTE(morphenspectra @ Apr 30 2004, 10:34 PM)
Do these work on the photo radar that the city of Beaverton and Portland (OR) are so fond of???

We had Photo Radar here for a while (mid-'90's), the leading govenment (at the time) got tossed because of it.

Nothing but a cash grab. finger.gif
Joe Bob
The V1 reads four types of radar...

X- now used by motion sensing doors at the shopping malls, but STILL used by Podunk PDs and "How Fast are Ya going" signs where cops can hide behind.
K- more modern than X but still antiquated....used by LAPD and my local PD
Ka- Used by the CHP and a more modern precurser to Laser.....
Laser- yer fucked, pull over and take it....unless it's a false alarm from the third brake light on an SUV headbang.gif pissoff.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.