Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Semi-OT: New tow vehicle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
campbellcj
I've been borrowing my wife's daily-driver SUV for years, whenever I needed to tow to the track or haul parts, etc. That got to be a pain for both of us, plus there was just recently an..."incident"...with my Audi one weekend when we'd swapped cars.

Right after that, I noticed a recently retired guy in my neighborhood had a 2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4L with Lariat trim, shell, bed liner, tow package, original owner, dealer-serviced, and priced below blue book. It seemed ideal for my current needs and is cheap and "used" enough that I won't have to worry about thrashing it. I currently have a steel 16' open trailer but it should have no problem towing a modest enclosed trailer if I ever go that route.

Click to view attachment
DanT
Chris, that truck would be able to pull at least a 20' enclosed trailer with no problems.
If you finally go that route just make sure it has brakes on both axles and that you use a good weight distribution hitch.
what axle ratios does it have? something like 3:53s?
Randal
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 24 2011, 10:16 PM) *

I've been borrowing my wife's daily-driver SUV for years, whenever I needed to tow to the track or haul parts, etc. That got to be a pain for both of us, plus there was just recently an..."incident"...with my Audi one weekend when we'd swapped cars.

Right after that, I noticed a recently retired guy in my neighborhood had a 2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4L with Lariat trim, shell, bed liner, tow package, original owner, dealer-serviced, and priced below blue book. It seemed ideal for my current needs and is cheap and "used" enough that I won't have to worry about thrashing it. I currently have a steel 16' open trailer but it should have no problem towing a modest enclosed trailer if I ever go that route.

Click to view attachment

That truck looks great and you'll appreciate that camper when you go to the track.

Like real security for stuff that could walk away!

Sure looks clean in the picture.
brant
Nice!
messix
awesome! aktion035.gif
campbellcj
I don't know which final ratio it's got - I think there were 3 options offered - but I'll find that out.

I had an un-fun time retrieving my trailer and loading-up tonight in the rain and dark. Went out to the trailer storage place to discover that I had to flip the ball to lower it vs. how it was set up for the Land Cruiser...oops! And the ball that came with this truck was too small. So I drove back home, flipped it, then carried-on as usual. Except for the rain part.
campbellcj
FWIW I found out via the door sticker that my F150 has the H9 axle which is the 3.55 limited-slip. Probably not a very common option (along with the 4WD) in this neck of the woods, but the PO bought it in Ohio and moved out here right afterwards.
DanT
fairly common axle ratio Chris...the limited slip is always a good option. biggrin.gif
the real towing monster would be a 3:73 or 4:10s
but for what you are going to be doing with it, the 3:55s will be fine...gives you a bit better mileage if you aren't pulling a real heavy load.

my Burb had 4:10s and could pull a heavy trailer just about anywhere...
I pulled near 8,000#s many times over 10 years.
RV, enclosed racecar trailer, open racecar trailer, etc....

your truck looks to be pretty well equipped....does it have a trailer brake controller?

on my camping weekends, this is our rig

Chevy Duramax and Allison 6 speed trans...
365HP and 660LBFt of torque...@1600 RPMs smile.gif
campbellcj
Geez, now that's a torque monster!

Mine doesn't have a brake controller, but I have a new one sitting here. Originally I was planning to install it in the Land Cruiser but never needed it. I'll probably put it in the truck once I figure-out how to do that - not sure where it falls between plug n' play vs. EE degree complexity. Wiring doesn't scare me, as long as I can ascertain what goes where, which is always the tricky part.
DanT
Chris, check your owner's manual. It may be a plug and play with the proper harness. I know the GMs of that era had that, so I would think the Ford would as well.
What controller do you have? Prodigy is a very nice proportioned controller that does not work with a pendulum...with those units you have to install it in a particular orientation and then calibrate.

Check on the controller manufacturers website, they should have plug and play harnesses.
Brett W
I don't know how big your trailer is, but you probably will want to upgrade the shocks and brake pads, ASAP. Get the Hawk Light Truck Pads and at least Bilstein shocks. Might also look at some stiffer rear springs, swap the tires on it for a full blown E load rating tire. Get rid of the crappy passenger rated tires that are on it now. Definitely get that brake controller hooked up.

You may find that the truck can get many a heavy load moving, but its the stopping part that will leave you worried. I don't think people should be towing a real load with anything smaller than a 3/4 truck, because the half ton trucks just don't have the chassis or brakes to truly control a heavy load. Half ton trucks are cars with a bed.

You will probably find the 5.4 marginal at best, fuel mileage will not be so great when towing, the tranny will be constantly confused when you are towing, its best to lock out of overdrive. Also look at the biggest tranny cooler option you can find. It will keep the tranny alive, awhile. You can tow with this thing but there are better options for probably about the same money.

DanT
QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 14 2011, 02:04 PM) *

I don't know how big your trailer is, but you probably will want to upgrade the shocks and brake pads, ASAP. Get the Hawk Light Truck Pads and at least Bilstein shocks. Might also look at some stiffer rear springs, swap the tires on it for a full blown E load rating tire. Get rid of the crappy passenger rated tires that are on it now. Definitely get that brake controller hooked up.

You may find that the truck can get many a heavy load moving, but its the stopping part that will leave you worried. I don't think people should be towing a real load with anything smaller than a 3/4 truck, because the half ton trucks just don't have the chassis or brakes to truly control a heavy load. Half ton trucks are cars with a bed.

You will probably find the 5.4 marginal at best, fuel mileage will not be so great when towing, the tranny will be constantly confused when you are towing, its best to lock out of overdrive. Also look at the biggest tranny cooler option you can find. It will keep the tranny alive, awhile. You can tow with this thing but there are better options for probably about the same money.

Gee, that was a ringing endorsement..... confused24.gif
He is currently towing a 914 on an open trailer....you could tow that with a Toyota Tacoma or a Ford Ranger....
campbellcj
Yup. Honestly I can barely feel my trailer+914 with this thing or the Land Cruiser I was pulling it with previously. The total rig is barely 4000 lbs if even that. Going or stopping has never been a problem. Gas mileage while towing is ~12-13 with either vehicle.

That said I am going to check/replace/upgrade the shocks, tires and brakes soon. I just did the trailer tires recently so they're good for some time.

The brake controller I have is a Prodigy and it does look very simple to wire-up so that's also on my list to deal with some coming weekend.
Brett W
I had a thought last night, if you go with a heavier trailer or car, pick up the sway control and the load equalizing hitch. It will do a better job of loading the front tires.
john rogers
Chris, one of the nice things with a brake controller is the "panic button" that will lock the trailer brakes in an emergency and if the tow vehicle is skidding that will yank it straight in a nanosecond! A bit hard on the trailer tires but can be helpful. Also make sure the trailer has a breakaway switch just in case things come apart. Great looking truck!
campbellcj
Just an update - I got the brake controller installed using the plug n' play harness (thanks for the heads-up on that Dan) and it works great. Also changed the front rotors and all 4 shocks. A few little things too like gas struts on the tail hatch and weathertech floor mats. It's working out great so far.

I'm gonna deal with the tires before the longer tows and road trips coming in the summer. Anybody have recommendations for a good all-weather LT tire?
DanT
Chris I had these on my Burb for many years and about 45k miles with lots of tread left when I sold a couple years back.
I would go for load range D for towing duty, especially for when you step up to an enclosed trailer in the future.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Model=LTX+M%2FS
campbellcj
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 8 2011, 08:59 PM) *

Chris I had these on my Burb for many years and about 45k miles with lots of tread left when I sold a couple years back.
I would go for load range D for towing duty, especially for when you step up to an enclosed trailer in the future.

Thanks again Dan - those may be what my local tire guy has on his personal F250 tow rig. I was eyeballing it in the parking lot while getting my Hoosiers mounted but I didn't get a chance to talk truck tires with him that day.
messix
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 8 2011, 08:59 PM) *

i second those tires, i have them on my truck and they are very quiet smooth and last a long time. i'm running 285 75 16 on a one ton crewcab towing upto 10,000 lbs of toy hauler and gear on a single axle rear end. very stable and handles the load great.
campbellcj
Funny coincidence...I just noticed the LTX M/S2 (newer version) is what is on my wife's Land Cruiser. They worked great in our last road trip to Mammoth, including some pretty terrible conditions. Seems like a no-brainer choice.

There is also an LTX A/S tire that seems similar but probably also an older design.

Also I finished repainting my trailer today. I got 90% of it done last weekend but the store ran out of paint and I ran out of energy. This is a quick n' dirty rattle can job but it looks vastly improved - tons of surface rust and grunge before.

IPB Image
Repainted trailer by cjcam, on Flickr
DanT
Trailer looks great Chris!
Sounds like the Michelins are in your future.
campbellcj
I finally got the new tires today - they seem like an excellent choice, but spendy. I went with the Michelin LTX M/S2, E load rated, the new "green" version. They will most likely outlive the truck...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.