Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical troubleshooting help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pauldunn
im hoping someone can help lead me in the right direction with this next problem im trying to conquer. on my "72, as soon as i put the cables on the battery the generator light and the oil light come on, and the top 2 red lights on the gas guage blink. and it sounds like the blinker relay is causing the red lights to blink. the oil sensor and the generator sensor wouldnt cause that to happen if they werent plugged in, so i think. wut should i look for? does anyone have an idea?
underthetire
Remove the power relay on the relay board. If it still does it, could be a shorted diode in the alternator. If it doesn't, check your ignition switch. I'm sure someone else will chime in with other suggestions as well. Good luck.
Tom_T
QUOTE(pauldunn @ Feb 25 2011, 05:55 PM) *

im hoping someone can help lead me in the right direction with this next problem im trying to conquer. on my "72, as soon as i put the cables on the battery the generator light and the oil light come on, and the top 2 red lights on the gas guage blink. and it sounds like the blinker relay is causing the red lights to blink. the oil sensor and the generator sensor wouldnt cause that to happen if they werent plugged in, so i think. wut should i look for? does anyone have an idea?

If I'm understanding you correctly, the ignition may be in the on position (or mis-wired or shorted that way) to show the oil & gen/alt lights, as well as the red on top acrh-shaped light is the E-brake on warning light (it sounds similar to a TS/E-flasher relay cuz it's a similar breaker relay to make it flash).

Try putting the key in the ignition to see if they go off while power is hooked up at the pbattery, if not, download the 72 wiring diagram & trace it for shorts or mis-wiring giving power to the dash with the key off.
Dave_Darling
Sounds like your ignition switch is on. The blinking is almost certainly because your handbrake handle is up. That and the other lights are expected when the key is turned to "on".

It is also possible that something is mis-wired, and the circuit that would get power when the key is on is getting shorted to a hot wire.

--DD
detoxcowboy
sounds normal if you were just turning the key and not starting, .. when you relaese the parking brake and start the car do all the lights go out?
pauldunn
sounds like you all are thinking the same thing. this car is in non-running condition. ive aquired it after sitting for who knows how long. and i guess i shoulda explained more. it does that whether the key is in the ignition or not, let alone in the on position. i even disconnected the ignition switch from its connector and it was still doin it.

and just a thought, they could also be 2 differant deals, couldnt they? the oil light and generator light are gonna be on if its not running. now the blinking red lights is whats confusing me. those 2 red arched light are for the parking brake? are they supposed to blink when the brake is on? and it doesnt look like anyone has been in it to mess with the wiring. any other ideas? the relay that is blinking is right inside, to the right of the left drivers air vent. what relay is that?

Thanks for the help.

oh, one more thing. on the junction block in the engine compartment, if i have the connector with all the wires in it that come from the front of the car unplugged, it wont do it. all the lights go out and no blinking. i guess that dont really help do it? thats just keeping power away from the front of the car.
jaxdream
Also check the mastercylinder brake pressure switch, the wires may be off touching some metal or the switch senses no line pressure and is giving the no pressure signal ( arched brake light also ).This could be rest if it has the little red button it that can be pushed back in to reset. Just another place to check.

Jack / Jaxdream
76-914
As far as the ebrake goes; check the switch at the base of the handle. Is it connected? Is it functioning? The brown wire (a ground) that connectcs to it may be laying against metal and grounding out/completing that circuit.
Dave_Darling
It is all normal behavior if the key is on. Since the key isn't, something is providing power to those things as if the key were on. You have a "hot" wire connected to a "switched" circuit.

Time to dig out the multimeter and start checking for voltage...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.