Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beer for WCR 2011
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcd914
beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif

I posted the idea of bring a homebrew made specially for WCR 2011 and while back in the original WRC 2011 thread and strawman chimed in about bring one as well. We talked about it at one of the Sacramento Porsche Family Reunions and thought we might get together and brew them at the same time, kind of a 914world brew day. I belong to brewing club, Elk Grove Brewer Guild (EGBG) and we have brew nights periodically where we gather at some ones house and brew, talk and drink beer. The PNW is well know for home brewing and I thought if there were other world members that want to bring beer maybe we could coordinated a 914world brew day. We can all gather at the same place but we could gather locally on the same day.

I have only brewed ales so far and ales don't require the same aging that lagers do, so I have some time yet before I would have to start my brew for WRC 2011. If there is interested I a 914world brew day for WCR 2011 chime in and suggest a time frame. There maybe other members near you that brew and you don't know it yet. I don't have a running 914 to bring to a world event but I could bring my brewing gear to somewhere near to brew.

strawman is a brewer and is in Davis
gopack is a brewer and is in the Sacramento area
I am a brewer in the Sacramento area

So strawman and I have both committed to bring some home brew to WCR 2011 and this is kind of a challenge to other world members, in particular PNW members.

I am planning to brew an IPA for WCR 2011 but I also have a couple American Pale Ale recipes that are good. EGBG is part a home brew demonstration Sunday for Sacramento Beer Week and I may start a Double IPA that was requested for an annual camping trip a group of us do in April.

Jim

beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif
moparrob
I think you should start a thread with a poll for names of your new Ale. Something personal, near and dear to our other passion - the 914.

I'll start off with a suggestion. You can even use my carfigurator image for the label if my name wins:

IPB Image

beerchug.gif
montoya 73 2.0
I like this idea. Home brews are fantastic! The more the better.
gopack
Since I was specifically mentioned, I would say that even if I'm not able to go to WCR, I woudl be totally in for a brew gathering. In fact i was just thinking it is about time to get another batch started this or next weekend! I have never brewed in a group atmosphere (it is a solitary thing for me) I think it woudl be fun.
ConeDodger
Backfire Brew

Hell Hole Swill

Rusty Long Sauce

Busted Knuckle Ale

Two-Trunk IPA
arkitect
I like the idea; How about

Teener Toast Ale or

Curves Unlimited

but to think about it everyone can relate to Jack Stand Ale.

CliffBraun
I really like the Two-Trunk name for a double IPA
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(arkitect @ Feb 26 2011, 10:27 PM) *

I like the idea; How about

Teener Toast Ale or

Curves Unlimited

but to think about it everyone can relate to Jack Stand Ale.

Not everyone. None of my teeners have ever lived on jackstands. they just like to be driven.
raw1298
I will volunteer to be the official taster!! beer3.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Bring them all to WCR so we can all be testers!
McMark
I like the idea of a brew day, and would love to attend. I would also love to see homebrew 'tasting' at the actual WCR this year. I mean, I like Sierra Nevada a little less than most guys, but I'll drink a mediocre homebrew before I grab an MGD. And hell, if your brew is any good, I'll probably buy some bottles to take home. boldblue.gif

I like where this is going. beerchug.gif
jsaum
Ah Beer nectar of the garage!
strawman
I'm gonna brew up a 5 gal. keg of Porter. I like 'em dark...
PeeGreen 914
I have been thinking about becoming a brewer but I tend to do things all or nothing. I just can't afford to do that right now blink.gif

However, I promise to let you know how it taste beer.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 27 2011, 11:06 PM) *

I have been thinking about becoming a brewer but I tend to do things all or nothing. I just can't afford to do that right now blink.gif

Brewing your own is cheaper than buying it. You can make your own equipment.

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
I will have to have you up to show me Todd beerchug.gif
McMark
What is that, Todd? confused24.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Feb 28 2011, 12:26 AM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 27 2011, 11:06 PM) *

Brewing your own is cheaper than buying it. You can make your own equipment.

Click to view attachment

Yes Todd, give us instruction & details!!!!
matthepcat
I got some Belgian Witbier bottled in the garage and a keg of Kolsch brewing as we speak.

Home-brew is a hobby that both husband and wife can enjoy!
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 28 2011, 09:34 AM) *

What is that, Todd? confused24.gif

That is a mash tun. 54 quart ice chest with a copper manifold to drain the wort and leave the spent grain behind. There are slots cut in the bottom of the manifold with a cutoff wheel. A lot of people use a ten gallon round cooler for a mash tun, but there is no need for it to be round, and a ten gallon cooler is a little on the small side for some beers that I have made.

Click to view attachment

It holds temperature within a couple degrees for an hour long mash.

I also made my own counterflow wort chiller:

Click to view attachment

From these parts:

Click to view attachment

Back when I used to bottle:

Click to view attachment
jcd914
I like "Jackstand Ale" and "Backfire Brew"

Ok I am not quite to the scale Todd is. I am still brewing 5 gal batches and my wort chiller is an ice chest full of ice water to shove my boil kettle into. I did switch to all grain brews with a small mash tun made from a 5 gal Igloo drink cooler but it is all good. beerchug.gif
I also gave up bottling and have two 5 gal kegs on tap in the garage. Currently I have a Barley Red Wheat and an American Pale Ale.

gopack and strawman I would suggest we find a weekend we can get together and brew. I have an IPA recipe I would like to try, it might be closer to a Double IPA than IPA.

Jim
zymurgist
QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 26 2011, 03:08 PM) *

I think you should start a thread with a poll for names of your new Ale. Something personal, near and dear to our other passion - the 914.

I'll start off with a suggestion. You can even use my carfigurator image for the label if my name wins:

IPB Image

beerchug.gif

A certain East Coast Thread Killer has been using the phrase "Jackstand Brewing" for his hobby-brewery for several years now...
strawman
Six-and-a-half gallons of Hantavirus Porter wort boiling on the Cache Cooker a couple of nights ago (so named because I found mice turds on the lid of the kettle; rest assured I cleaned everything appropriately). It is fermenting away heartily right now, and it'll be ready for WCR!

Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
Thats going to be good! Can't wait!
montoya 73 2.0
confused24.gif Bueller, Bueller?

Is there going to be a non-sanctioned home brew fest?
strawman
Mine will be kegged & carbonated tomorrow night, and will be ready to drink in a few days. beer3.gif I am more than happy to share, although I hope I'm not the only one bringing homebrew to WCR2011 -- it always taste best when shared with other hopheads!

Geoff
montoya 73 2.0
So if Strawman is the only one bringing a home brew, We will have to get a keg.

What say you? What kind of beer do you prefer?

Click on the link and give me a beer you would like. I will be bringing either a 15 gallon Keg or two 7.5 gallons if we decide on two different ones.

Klamath Basin Brewery

I think I may start a seperate poll.

Click below for poll

WCR 2011 Beer Poll

Thank you Strawman for stepping up and brewing some libations for us! I look forward to tasting your beer!!!
jcd914
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 14 2011, 09:02 PM) *

So if Strawman is the only one bringing a home brew, We will have to get a keg.

What say you? What kind of beer do you prefer?

Click on the link and give me a beer you would like. I will be bringing either a 15 gallon Keg or two 7.5 gallons if we decide on two different ones.

Klamath Basin Brewery

I think I may start a seperate poll.

Click below for poll

WCR 2011 Beer Poll

Thank you Strawman for stepping up and brewing some libations for us! I look forward to tasting your beer!!!

I have a 5 gal batch of an American Amber Ale (might be an IPA by style guide) waiting to be racked into a keg for WCR, so Geoff's Porter won't be the lone home brew this year.
Jim
montoya 73 2.0
Good job Jim! Thank you sir. Oh man it is going to be a kickass long weekend. Whew Hew!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.