Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rim paint cracking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
What is the likely cause for the primer to crack? the rim was sanded, dust off and wiped rust-oleum cleaning pad. I am using the self etching primer. I also tried filler primer.
rick 918-S
I can see it's reacting to the paint left on the wheel under the primer. Strip all the old finish off and start over. Or... sell me those Pedrinis cheap and leave your car on jack stands another year. biggrin.gif
914itis
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 26 2011, 06:50 PM) *

I can see it's reacting to the paint left on the wheel under the primer. Strip all the old finish off and start over. Or... sell me those Pedrinis cheap and leave your car on jack stands another year. biggrin.gif

lol, Thanks, getting it ready for hershey swap meet. do you know of any solution to remove the old paint?
AndyB
Steel wool and lots of elbow grease poke.gif biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Aircraft /paint stripper. Wash them good then try your etch primer. Sure you don't just want to leave it on the stands? happy11.gif
bandjoey
Agree. Looks like a paint over paint reaction. I forget but you can't put lacquer over enamel or visa versa.

Go t the FLAPS and get a small can of paint remover, paint it on, 10 minutes later, scraper, wire brush, and fire hose. It'll strip off all the old paint down to metal. Easiest way I know to get it cleaned off.

I used DupliColor from the Auto Store on a cleaned wheel and it worked great.

bandjoey
Look at this paint scheme...
ELLIOTT
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 26 2011, 06:02 PM) *

those look real nice
914itis
QUOTE(ELLIOTT @ Feb 26 2011, 07:15 PM) *

those look real nice

I tried one without primmer and it looks great... is primmer necessary? what will happen if I leave it without the primer?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ppetion @ Feb 26 2011, 09:37 PM) *

those look real nice

I tried one without primmer and it looks great... is primmer necessary? what will happen if I leave it without the primer?

Maybe nothing. But etch primer checmically bonds to the wheel leaving a soft surface for the paint to bond to. There are ways to paint and there are good ways to paint. Depends on what your after. Just remeber short cuts usually result in work you settle for not work other would aspire to. You always have time to do it right the second time.

I still think you should send me the wheels. shades.gif biggrin.gif
914itis
sunglasses.gif
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 26 2011, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Feb 26 2011, 09:37 PM) *

those look real nice

Maybe nothing. But etch primer checmically bonds to the wheel leaving a soft surface for the paint to bond to. There are ways to paint and there are good ways to paint. Depends on what your after. Just remeber short cuts usually result in work you settle for not work other would aspire to. You always have time to do it right the second time.

I still think you should send me the wheels. shades.gif biggrin.gif

sunglasses.gif thinking about it....................................................................
914itis
What do you think?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(esses62 @ Feb 26 2011, 10:53 PM) *

first.gif now get them back on the car so it's driving.gif in time for Hershey

It looks good. Now all you have to do is find a nice box for them.... poke.gif biggrin.gif

AndyB
QUOTE(ppetion @ Feb 26 2011, 11:13 PM) *

What do you think?

aktion035.gif Good job now what do the other 3 look like?
SLITS
Rick ... you need a set of early Pedrinis? Yeah, a set of the non-hub centered wheels.

I media (glass bead) blasted a set. Sprayed them down with Brake Cleaner and painted them with Wurth's Silver Lacquer.
914itis
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2011, 08:34 AM) *

What do you think?

I did two, ( I only have two jack stands w00t.gif ) lol
I will start the other two today...

will post a pick of the two finished ones today...
AndyB
QUOTE(ppetion @ Feb 27 2011, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Feb 27 2011, 08:34 AM) *

What do you think?

I did two, ( I only have two jack stands w00t.gif ) lol
I will start the other two today...

will post a pick of the two finished ones today...

Obviously you need more jackstands
914itis
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 27 2011, 01:10 AM) *

QUOTE(esses62 @ Feb 26 2011, 10:53 PM) *

first.gif now get them back on the car so it's driving.gif in time for Hershey

It looks good. Now all you have to do is find a nice box for them.... poke.gif biggrin.gif

what do you think now rick? still want them?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.