Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Sebring 12 Hours Coverage on Speed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Vysoc
It really did'nt dawn on me until I actually read an article in Auto World about what ALMS had done. They struck a deal with ABC, I assumed ESPN or ESPN2 would be covering a good portion of the race. They have decided that long duration coverage of races is "a thing of the past" and they will tape portions of the race and then build it into a 2 hour show to be shown at a later date.

I love to go to Sebring but when in 2008 we saw the undercover cops jumping out of cars to arrest underage drinking and all of the other stuff that we saw ...enough. I took a 2 year hiatus from the madness in Green Park and we had a great party in the garage with Speed Channel and enjoyed the telecast. It is now over unless you want to try the live feed on ESPN3.com on your computer...live streaming, how good can that be?

My friend that goes to the races with me was diagnosed with stage 4 Lung Cancer at 50, we are now going to try and go up for a couple of hours on Saturday, but it is really going to be difficult.

BUMMER. confused24.gif confused24.gif bs.gif

Vysoc
Zimms
They will have complete coverage for qualifying and the race through an online stream. I think you can get it through the ALMS website, ESPN3 or if you have ESPN3 and an Xbox live membership, you can watch it through Xbox live.

I read that it is pretty easy to hook your computer/laptop to the TV if bother are somewhat new with the right connectors. Not idea, but I guess the ALMS was paying for the coverage the last few years, and can no longer afford that option.

I'll be at spot 115 outside of turn 1. Stop by if you make it to the race. Sorry to hear about your friend.
carr914
I don't have a Huge Problem with ALMS going to a Live Stream WebCast - this is the Wave of the Future. I got rid of DirecTV 2 Years ago and haven't looked back. Besides the Previous ALMS races, SPEED had become NASCARTV.

It would have been nice to see SPEED continue with the Endurances races, though. But I will be at the 12 Hours & Petit anyway. Who is going to cover the 24 Hours of LeMans?

Zimms
Speed is still covering most of LeMans.

I agree with the webcasts. I like the full coverage of qualifying and the race. I just need to figure out how I want to hadle the digital through the TV, Unfortunately, I am one of the few without ESPN3, SO I figure I'll be straming through the ALMS website.

Are you working @ Sebring this year?
carr914
I'll be there Wednesday Night. I'll be working for Skip Barber Thursday & Friday. The Dealership I work for ( Bert Smith Porsche) will be having a cookout Friday Night in the Porsche Corral after the last race of the day. We will have 2 RVs in there and a bunch of Pop-up tents

T.C.
Vysoc

Hey Zimm,

Since you are on the inside of turn 1, would it be possible for us to stop by for the beginning of the race, It will be just myself and my buddy, just to see the start.

Let me know if this would be OK, I would surely understand is this would not be the right time and stop and see you later if necessary.

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif
Zimms
Definitely. Stop on by. It is a great place to watch the start. beerchug.gif

Mark
naro914
For those of us that can't be there, this new telecast deal really sucks. Even if you ARE there with an RV or something, you probably won't be able to have the feed on your TV.

ESPN3 is not available for everyone. Your internet provider has to offer it as part of their package.
I spend all of my day on my computer, the last thing I want to do is spend my enjoyment time sitting at my desk watching a race on a 15" monitor, while my 60" high def TV sits dark.

I tried hooking up my laptop to my TV to stream to it. The quality is absolutely horrendous. Its so bad, you can't read the names scrolling across the top of the screen. and, it freezes up every 30 seconds or so to 'buffer'. Totally unwatchable.

It's a real shame, ALMS is/was my favorite series. But now, i can't watch any of it (oh, wait, I can watch a 90 minute - including commercials - 'special' showing me the highlights on Sunday....gimme a break)
Vysoc
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 18 2011, 05:34 PM) *

For those of us that can't be there, this new telecast deal really sucks. Even if you ARE there with an RV or something, you probably won't be able to have the feed on your TV.

ESPN3 is not available for everyone. Your internet provider has to offer it as part of their package.
I spend all of my day on my computer, the last thing I want to do is spend my enjoyment time sitting at my desk watching a race on a 15" monitor, while my 60" high def TV sits dark.

I tried hooking up my laptop to my TV to stream to it. The quality is absolutely horrendous. Its so bad, you can't read the names scrolling across the top of the screen. and, it freezes up every 30 seconds or so to 'buffer'. Totally unwatchable.

It's a real shame, ALMS is/was my favorite series. But now, i can't watch any of it (oh, wait, I can watch a 90 minute - including commercials - 'special' showing me the highlights on Sunday....gimme a break)

I totally agree, just went to pick up my buddy to go to Sebring and he is so sick from his cancer he can't even get out of bed, I guess I'll be attempting to watch on a 19" monitor. Would not be right to go up without him.

It's Crap,

Vysoc bs.gif bs.gif stromberg.gif
jt914-6
I won't be able to attend the race, but Ron (Pcar916) and I are going to watch the race on espn3 on my laptop hooked up to my 52" HD tv.....hope to make the Petit Le Mans in person this fall..... driving.gif
naro914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Mar 19 2011, 06:31 AM) *

I won't be able to attend the race, but Ron (Pcar916) and I are going to watch the race on espn3 on my laptop hooked up to my 52" HD tv.....hope to make the Petit Le Mans in person this fall..... driving.gif

Have you tried it? picture quality sucks. HD TV means nothing if the feed is terrible. The only connection I had from the laptop was S-video - not good.
jt914-6
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 19 2011, 06:54 AM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Mar 19 2011, 06:31 AM) *

Have you tried it? picture quality sucks. HD TV means nothing if the feed is terrible. The only connection I had from the laptop was S-video - not good.

Yes....have tried it....it's pretty good quality for streaming video...I've got Comcast high speed internet and a decent video card in the computer...plugs right into the Sony Bravia LCD 52"..... type.gif driving.gif
URY914
Here is a FREE internet fee....

http://www.justin.tv/rampageturke2#/w/982439168/5
Derek Seymour
Here is where I saw it.

http://espn.go.com/espn3/

I thought it was great! In fact I watched most of the last years season on the ALMS website or Justin.TV.

Use a hdmi cable and send it to your T.V. looks great if you have a flat screen
URY914
Not a good day for Porsche. But Pugs won which broke the Audi streak.
Vysoc
Sebring 2011,

The day began at 4:48am when I went to pick-up my buddy battling cancer, the cancer won today and he was too sick to go, and I could not go up there without him...it just would not have been right. mad.gif

Well necessity is the mother of invention. I had nothing as my cable service does not offer ESPN 3 and every other way I could think of to get the live stream failed. I went to ALMS and watched the scoreboard update every 30 seconds I had to reset it about every 45 minutes as it would report a server error and then I would start over, but by accident I stumbled upon a live radio feed on the Flying Lizards Web-Site that is available every race. This would allow you to hear every word from the Drivers to the Crew chief as well as Race Control & Spotters. Just having the screen with positions and current lap times and the actual team radio I was able to have a reasonable Sebring with the help of plenty of COLD BEERS in my office at home. beerchug.gif

It was not the best but it was enough to piece together what the hell was going on.

Now, if you want to here about a guy who has it tough try being the crew chief for the 045 Flying Lizard car which dealt with an early spin, and multiple, 20 or 30 resets of their electronics throughout the race,you could here the horror in Patrick Long's voice as he was explaining what happened! One time even heard Joerg Bergmeister drop an F-Bomb! happy11.gif

I got so much more out of the race, you also got to here the spotters calling out when the prototypes would be approaching the 044 & 045 Lizards from the rear to overtake... especially at night.

They fought back from being way back to 6th & 7th but the 045 will actually get 5th place & 044 6th place points because the AF Ferrari does not run in ALMS point events.

Next race go to the Flying Lizard Motorsports web-site and listen in on the team radio, it absolutely saved me from the bummer of a very sick friend not being able to go to Sebring to a bearable day.

Sometimes you find a rose when you step into a pile of stromberg.gif

Sebring 2011,

Vysoc flag.gif
Vysoc
URY,

Thank you so much, through this link I am able to show my buddy what we missed, he will be very appreciative and so am I.

Thank you,

Vysoc laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 19 2011, 08:43 PM) *

maf914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 20 2011, 06:06 AM) *

Not a good day for Porsche. But Pugs won which broke the Audi streak.

Paul, Don't forget that the Penske Porsche spyder won overall in 2008, which broke the Audi streak of wins from 2000-2007. Audi won again in 2009, Peugeot in 2010, and again this year, 2011.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.