Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping to Canada
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
I'm thinking about getting a transmission and assorted other stuff shipped from Oakland, California to Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. Does anybody have any ideas on the most economical and safest way to do this? I've heard bad things about UPS, so I don't really want to use them. Who else is there, and how much am I looking at spending? Should I supply my own vaseline, or can this be done cheaply and easily?

Thanks,
GaroldShaffer
Not sure how it would work going to Canada but I have shipped & recv'd Large & heavy items via Grey Hound bus service.

- Garold
SLITS
UPS is fine as long as you package it carefully. They will try to destroy anything.

Next option would be LTL Commercial Truck - terminal to terminal.

You're gonna get hit with "import duties", based on the price of the unit, unless the seller is into "not giving the gov't their FAIR share".

Best scenerio would be if you live close to the border would be to ship to a US address and pick it up in the good ol' USA and take it across yourself.

Oh well - You can also try FEDEX Ground.
Mark Henry
Bend over!! bootyshake.gif

US post won't ship it.

Greyhound won't do over the border.

UPS will charge you $45 brokerage, double-dip on the shipping, taxes and generally F your butt, dry. Expect about $300+ for shipping, etc.

Fedex and Forward Air is more than UPS.

mad.gif
davep
Is there something specific you cannot get in Canada? I agree that shipping to a border location and clearing customs yourself is the best bet. I have to do that regularly.
Mark Henry
On the trans you could PM me and I'll see what Mike's914 has, Greyhound shipping would be about $75.
mike_the_man
Actually, I'm looking at the V8 conversion kit in the classifieds. A 915 tranny, plus most of the conversion stuff that would be needed, all for $1000. I figured if I had to pay a bit to get it shipped it would still be a good deal. I'm not totally sure what a 915 transmission is worth, but a grand seems like a good deal to me.
Mark Henry
Can't help you there. wink.gif

Even with $$$$ shipping it sounds like a good deal, just make sure every is "as listed", as returning the stuff would a real hassle. Would be heavy which = mo-money
GWN7
Have it shipped Greyhound to Grandforks, ND and I'll pick it up for you and reship it from Winnipeg.
mike_the_man
Thanks Bruce. I may very well take you up on that offer. I've got some more checking to do before I decide on anything. If that did work out, I might have to come out to Winnipeg and pick it up from you. And of course buy you a whole boat load of beerchug.gif for your troubles!
GWN7
np...it's a short drive down there for me and Grandforks is the closest Geryhound terminal. Just have the box shipped in my name and it's no problem for me to pick it up.

UPS only holds packages for 5-7 days and then returns them, plus they are only open for customer pickup during certain hours of the day. I think Greyhound is a little longer and anytime pick up.

In fact I'm heading that way tommorrow...Powerball is $145 million biggrin.gif
SLITS
And all the time I was under the impression that the Canadians loved their government and were willing to pay anything to keep it going - Eh!

Damn, taking the advice of an "Ugly American" and cheating your government - what is the world coming to?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 30 2004, 03:56 PM)
And all the time I was under the impression that the Canadians loved their government and were willing to pay anything to keep it going - Eh!

Damn, taking the advice of an "Ugly American" and cheating your government - what is the world coming to?

confused24.gif rolleyes.gif

Your the only one who ever talked about cheating the taxman.

We're talking about UPS, that POS company charges us twice for shipping (once in the US and again in Canada) and the high brokerage fee is again UPS.
tracks914
[quote=Mark Henry,Apr 30 2004, 04:25 PM]
Damn, taking the advice of an "Ugly American" and cheating your government - what is the world coming to? [/QUOTE]
confused24.gif rolleyes.gif

Your the only one who ever talked about cheating the taxman.

We're talking about UPS, that POS company charges us twice for shipping (once in the US and again in Canada) and the high brokerage fee is again UPS. [/quote]
No kidding... UPS charged me $40+ to clear a $25 mirror though customs then charged me another $20+ for additional handling fee, GST and PST. The good deal on a mirror I bought through the classifieds ended up costing me over $100CAN. headbang.gif

US Postal is the only way to ship small items across the border. I haven't had anything as big as a trany ship yet.

As for our government, they get way too much of my hard earned cash already. finger.gif
GWN7
I have a Canadian importers #. Doing brokerage is a easy thing once you know what hoops you need to jump thru. I declare everything that I bring across the border and pay whatever taxes are due.

I have a P.O. Box in North Dakota just for having another option than shipping up here.

Watch that "Uggly American" comment....my dad was born in Chicago and I look like him. (including both passports) biggrin.gif

The problem with UPS up here is that they think there the government and can do what they want. Their favorite trick is to show up at your door with a package and demand whatever they want for your package. If you don't pay they send your package back to the shipper (or try to) Under Canadian customs law a broker must have the addresses permission to clear a package. I almost had their licence suspended because they failed to follow the rules.

A company sent me some stuff, UPS showed up my door demanding $$ for it. I told them no, they said we'll ship it back and you can do your own brokerage. I said no, the package is in Canada and has been cleared by Customs, you will eat your charges and in the future you will do as you are told when it comes to my customs clearance. The package was left and the driver went away (poor guy was stuck here for 2 hrs) A couple weeks later I get a bill from UPS for the shipment. I filled it in the big green can. Several more followed and they went in the same place. Then a collection agency started to call. I was polite and took the callers names, explained why I wasn't going to pay anything. Then I sent UPS a bill for "Professional services" in reguards to this matter. $25 per contact (plus GST & PST) My bill to them was 6 times what they wanted. I included a letter explain why they were now receiving a bill from me and a copy of my complaint to Canada Customs that UPS was acting without my permission and to what I understood was contrary to the Customs act.

I received a letter back from Canada Customs stating that they would investigate the matter. About 2 months latter I received another letter from them stating that this apperared to be a isolated incident and no further action would be taken. I never received another bill from UPS tho or another contact from the collection agency. *I did think about sending them to collection when they didn't pay my bill. biggrin.gif

UPS Canada finger.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.