Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rear Window Defrost Lines Restoration?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
Does anyone know of a company that restores the defrost lines on a OEM 914 rear window? I'm sure I could buy a kit somewhere to repair the broken lines myself but I'm hoping to find an expert for my concourse restore project.

Any help or experience you may have is appreciated.

euro911
I'm no expert by any means, but I thought the defrost wiring was imbedded in the plastic sandwiched between the two sheets of glass, and one would just need to find a good replacement glass ...

Don't know how you'd get at the wiring to 'fix' it - but it would be interesting to see it happen, if its possible popcorn[1].gif
gcrotvik
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 1 2011, 04:43 PM) *

I'm no expert by any means, but I thought the defrost wiring was imbedded in the plastic sandwiched between the two sheets of glass, and one would just need to find a good replacement glass ...

Don't know how you'd get at the wiring to 'fix' it - but it would be interesting to see it happen, if its possible popcorn[1].gif

Like the early 911 rear windows, the defrost lines are embossed on the outside surface on the inside of the window, not sandwiched in between the two glass panels. I wish they were! They get worn off with regular wear over the years. My window has the OEM lines but they are scratched/worn through in some areas. They are metallic so they do rust also.

Greg
SLITS
I don't remember where I saw it, but I thought there was a company that made the heaters as a "decal" to be applied to a window. My best thought at the moment is GOOGLE is your friend.
McMark
Yeah, I've ordered one of those stick-on defrosters. It may work fine, but it looks like CRAP.

The original lines are a powder of glass and conductive material that is baked onto the window. I looked into what it would take to do custom defrost lines. I think I could do it if I had a small pile of cash laying around.

Until then, I think your best bet is to find a good used one.
ldsgeek
You can also sometimes find a paint kit to rebuild the lines that are scratched. Here is one that I found using my poor google-fu. There may be others and you may find something local as well.
Cairo94507
If concourse is your goal, you need to find another window. I know they are out there because I found one (factory defroster glass) that is perfect for my car. I have seen several posted since but can't speak to their condition. All seemed to be between $100 and $200 though. I thought that was very reasonable. Good luck.
gcrotvik
Thank you to all who chimed in on this topic. It's greatly appreciated!

Greg
strawman
I've got one that I'll sell to you for $75 plus shipping from 95618. PM me if you're interested.

Geoff
gcrotvik
QUOTE(strawman @ Mar 1 2011, 09:24 PM) *

I've got one that I'll sell to you for $75 plus shipping from 95618. PM me if you're interested.

Geoff

What condition is it in?
strawman
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Mar 1 2011, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(strawman @ Mar 1 2011, 09:24 PM) *

Geoff

What condition is it in?

PM'd you back!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.