Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking to get my first 914!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cclements716
Hey i am new here. I have always loved porsche's and am eagerly trying to get myself one. I am looking at a 73 914-s Targa. It has the 2.0L in it. I have not gone to see it yet. It is from the south so i don't think that it should have much rust if any. What do i need to look for? The guy has not had it running in 2 years. He had it running, parked it in a garage and it has sat there since. He said he tried to get it running the other day and the engine was not getting fuel. He seams to be honest. He is an 80 year old man with a 48 car collection. Is there anything i can do while i am there to get it to start and possibly drive it a very short distance. I just want to check the transmission. Any other concerns? Thanks
Mike Bellis
Look for rust, rust, rust, rust, rust....

Under battery tray, use screwdriver to poke around. Look at passenger side jack hole and under rocker. If you find any major rust on the drivers side... RUN! By the time major rust gets to the drivers side the car is FUCHED! Also look at the rear passenger suspension points for rust.

Rust is the major expense with these cars. Don't worry as much about the engine but you would like it to run well. Engines are cheap compared to major rust repair. CHeck for accident damage. It is easy to bend the chassis on these. Conedoger can attest to that. His car needed much work after it hit a rock the size of a loaf of bread.

Buy the best car you can afford and drive the shit out of it!
underthetire
Even ca cars have rust somewhere. Have a member here do a ppi or at least go with you to check it out. Most here know what to look for. welcome.png
cclements716
whats a ppi? Is anyone on here from baton rouge or southern miss?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(cclements716 @ Mar 2 2011, 09:35 PM) *

whats a ppi? Is anyone on here from baton rouge or southern miss?

PPI = pre purchase inspection. There should be somebody on here fairly close to you. Just make sure you look it over really good. Don't be afraid to pass and wait for a good car. Also, if it has been sitting too long be weary of the brakes before you hop in and go for a drive if you get it running.

Shoe

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.