Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cooling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
minnesota loon
Has anyone ever just used a fan to help cool engine area? Maybe blow toward oil cooler. Need to drop oil temp on hot days.
McMark
I haven't heard of anyone, but it's an interesting idea. idea.gif
aircooledtechguy
A properly built/tunes engine driving under normal conditions should need nothing but what the factory provided.

What makes you think you're running hot?? Gauges??

A lot of motors have dirt packed around the cylinders that cause them to run hot. Same thing with the oil cooler. Pull the tins and check it out. Clean if necessary.

Missing too many fan blades on the fan?? Missing cooling tins?? That causes poor cooling.

I've seen motors where the cooling flaps were removed by some rocket scientist who "knew better". . . This will cause a motor to run really hot oil temps.

I doubt your fan idea would do a thing but cause it to run hotter (due to more load on the alternator) The design of the roof line and the engine lid cause a lot of air to move into the engine compartment.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
pull the tins over the cooler (easier said then done in car, but it can be done) and clean all the crap out of the oil cooler and cooling fins around the cylinders.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.