Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommend Type 4 Services.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Luckie's crank and rods are on the way to Rimco.

I need a cylinder head rebuilder and I'd like to find align bore service in Florida so I don't have to ship the case.

Suggestions?
beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
I'd strongly suggest that you find the proper size main bearings to fit the crank before having the case align bored. These bearings are VERY hard to find right now and have been for a year. Any shop that doesn't ask you to send the bearings for matching to the case prior to align boring should be avoided.
Bearings can vary by .001 just due to brand.

Series9
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 3 2011, 07:42 PM) *

I'd strongly suggest that you find the proper size main bearings to fit the crank before having the case align bored. These bearings are VERY hard to find right now and have been for a year. Any shop that doesn't ask you to send the bearings for matching to the case prior to align boring should be avoided.
Bearings can vary by .001 just due to brand.

Thanks Jake.

I've seen some threads about the bearings, but the shortage wasn't important to me until now.

What do you suggest? Where do I find the bearings? Would you like to do the align bore? How about the heads?

I don't know if the crank will have to be cut. RIMCO will decide.

For that matter, I don't know if the case will have to be cut, but the old bearings were ugly. We'll see.
Series9
Are certain bearings easier to get than others?

Std/std easier to find than 20/std? or.....
Jake Raby
I suggest that you have the main tunnels measured to see if it needs to be align bored.. If it doesn't I wouldn't do it as align bore bearings are the most difficult to source.
ALL bearings are hard to find right now and I don't expect it to get any better for a long while, maybe never.

Base the machine work on what bearings you can find and what the crank needs.
Series9
Email sent.
KevinP
Joe,

For local line bore services I suggest Revmaster in Orlando, I've had no complaints with there work. # is in the book and been in business 40+ years.

KP
Series9
QUOTE(KevinP @ Mar 4 2011, 06:46 AM) *

Joe,

For local line bore services I suggest Revmaster in Orlando, I've had no complaints with there work. # is in the book and been in business 40+ years.

KP

Thanks Kevin.
wertygrog
Revmaster did a dynamic balance on my 2.5L. They seemed like a good shop although they don't do as much aircooled stuff as they used to.

There's a machine shop in Daytona called Action Performance Machine that can do basic cylinder head work like media blasting, flycutting, stud repair, and valve grinding. Kenny there has done about 6 type 4 heads for me, no complaints here.
carr914
Contact Mike Bruns @ JB Racing in Tavares - 352-343-8900

He doesn't work on Fridays
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.