Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Increasing the size of wiring on the Starter Battery Lead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I read online where some car builders replaced the battery to starter lead wire with a larger size wire, to improve starting power.

Anyone do this? Worthwhile? What size wire, if so? Thanks
ventedrib
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 3 2011, 04:48 PM) *

I read online where some car builders replaced the battery to starter lead wire with a larger size wire, to improve starting power.

With proper ground stock wire size should be fine.
jsayre914
I just replaced mine recently with a 0guage power and a 0guage ground to the bottom bolt. It cranks noticabley faster. Not sure if it was the ground or power or both. confused24.gif

But I like POWER FLOW happy11.gif
Andyrew
I've always given the starter a better ground with a THICK body to ground wire. Always gives stronger cranking.
914.SBC
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 3 2011, 03:34 PM) *

I've always given the starter a better ground with a THICK body to ground wire. Always gives stronger cranking.

YUP,I PUT 00 GUAGE IN ALL MY PROJECT CARS
Drums66
QUOTE(ventedrib @ Mar 3 2011, 02:59 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 3 2011, 04:48 PM) *

With proper ground stock wire size should be fine.

Dig!....needless power flow(large gage wire) idea.gif
bye1.gif
Cap'n Krusty
It's essentially true, but 914s already have a pretty substantial cable, and I've never seen any reason to go bigger. Besides their size, they're of good quality, something the FLAPS cables are not. Welding cable might be better, but then you have to deal with properly installing high quality ends in order to gain any benefit. If the ends don't fit the connectors properly, and they're not crimped to the cable properly, you've just wasted your money.

The Cap'n
McMark
Gotta wonder how many people who hear a benefit are just noticing a nice new cable with clean connections. Or how many starters are worn out and pulling extra amperage just to spin. A worn out starter that's taking 2x as much power, would benefit from bigger cables. But the cables aren't really the problem, the starter is.

This is one of those situations where it was someone's job at Porsche to decide what size cable the battery needed. If you are having a problem with the cranking speed it's either a worn out starter, dirty connetions, or bad cables/ends.
Mike Bellis
The Ohms law answer is yes, a larger cable will flow more current due to less resistance in the larger cable. Kirchoff's law also applies; If your cable drops 2 volts, you starter will only receive 10 volts under load. Voltage drop can ONLY be measured under load. With no load, the starter voltage will be 12 volts.

The real problem is corrosion. As the existing wires age, they develope corrosion and resist current flow. That causes poor starting conditions and other problems. Battery cables corrode faster than any other wire in your car. Even if they look good, they may be bad. If they are over 10 years old, change them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.