Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back from paint after 14 months
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
After 14 months in the paint shop getting a bare metal paint job to the original Willow Green color it was delivered today. That is the good news.

The bad news is as he was bringing it to the house the windshield blew out on the highway - yes he was towing backwards - no he didn't know any better - caused a little rash on the hood which will buff out or he will repaint. The guy is sick about it to say the least. He turned 3 shades of green when I said they are NLA. He is checking with his glass guys to see if there is one available through his sources.

A few weeks ago I checked with my Porsche dealer in town for a new one and they said none available in the system. I was going to put a new one in the green car and take the exisitng one out and put it in the red car (it was a 9.5 out 10 windshield - really nice). Now that plan is out the door. I was chatting with TC and he said there were a few in Germany that can be ordered in - but the local guy at Porsche doesn't seem to know how to do it. I don't want a Chinese windshield if I can help it... I don't know what to do - well other than go have a glass (or 2) of 18 year old Scotch.

Anyway here is a snapshot -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Just for kicks you can make the painter sweat but there are several threads here on PPG windshields. I know someone who's bought one will get you the info soon. Great looking Green (of course, Orange is the preferred fast color happy11.gif ).

You might find the info with a 'search'.
ellisor3
Funny thing is that my painter broke my windshield by dropping the hood on it while reinstalling it. The hinge cracked it pretty ealily. My painter ordered one from Auto Atlanta. George has them.

BTW the car looks great.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 3 2011, 05:13 PM) *

Just for kicks you can make the painter sweat but there are several threads here on PPG windshields. I know someone who's bought one will get you the info soon. Great looking Green (of course, Orange is the preferred fast color happy11.gif ).

You might find the info with a 'search'.

Hi Bill - how are ya?

I looked at some threads a few months ago and it didn't look good then. But I will try again - now I am a bit more motivated!!

The painter is a great guy - a he is a car guy - and he is already sweating big time - I would love to make him feel better about this job and find him a windshiled he can buy. He has already had a few "issues" with the job. The day he went to deliver it last week a trunk hinge broke (my bad weld). I ordered a new one from Restoration Design (they got the part to Kansas in 3 days - thanks guys!) and he fixed it and spotted in the paint - no charge.

Oh well I am feeling better already - it that my 2nd or 3rd glass of Scotch??

Cheers!
steveherman
i called a safe-lite glass a few months back and they said they were available and it would take 2 days to get from manufacturer.
So call a few glass companies in your area.
I bet ONE of them will have it.

If i recall it was 300 installed.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(steveherman @ Mar 3 2011, 05:20 PM) *

i called a safe-lite glass a few months back and they said they were available and it would take 2 days to get from manufacturer.
So call a few glass companies in your area.
I bet ONE of them will have it.

If i recall it was 300 installed.

I tried Safelight a few months ago and they said NLA. I will try again - and I know my paint guy is trying too.

This will all work out I'm sure - thanks!
zonedoubt
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 3 2011, 02:59 PM) *

they are NLA.

Is this something recent? Maybe just temporarily not available? I bought a brand new Sigla from the dealer last year.
Ferg
Sucks about the Glass sad.gif

LOVE willow green pray.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Mar 3 2011, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 3 2011, 02:59 PM) *

they are NLA.

Is this something recent? Maybe just temporarily not available? I bought a brand new Sigla from the dealer last year.

TC says they are in Germany - my Porsche parts guy can't seem to understand that. He looks in the system and said "Nope - Atlanta doesn't have them". Not to be confused with Auto Atlanta - Porsche has parts warehouse in ATL. TC said he could order one - but he would have to charge shipping. I will go back to Porsche dealer and hopefuly get a different guy.... I really want a Sigla if I can.

Thanks!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 3 2011, 05:26 PM) *

Thanks Ferg,

Not too many exist today in Willow Green - not too popular even in the day - most have been painted over...

I like it because that is the way I bought it in 1978 (second owner) and never changed it. I must say I bet this new paint looks better than the day it left Porsche - it is outstanding. He shot De Beer (owned by Valspar now).
914-8
Very nice! My very first car ever, when I was 16 back in the early 80s, was a Willow Green 914. Brings back great memories!
markb
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 3 2011, 03:26 PM) *

agree.gif
Cairo94507
The color is beautiful. I would definitely try to find a factory glass. I am sure there are some still out there. Good luck. Don't sweat the painter to much; you know he feels bad already.
rick 918-S
I thought I spotted a windsheild in the classifieds for you but it may be sold. dry.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1439501

The car looks drooley.gif

BTW: the windsheild in the Alien is cracked too. LMK if you fine more than one. I have insurance but all the local glass guys play dumb when you ask them to source a factory windshield.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 3 2011, 06:12 PM) *

The color is beautiful. I would definitely try to find a factory glass. I am sure there are some still out there. Good luck. Don't sweat the painter to much; you know he feels bad already.

I agree - I am trying to make him feel better not sweat him out. I will even pay the difference between anything he finds and a Sigla glass - he shouldn't have to eat it all - he wasn't negligent really - just not wise in the ways of 914s. He couldn't believe it was butyl tape and not adhesive in the glass.

He is a one man shop (with a part-time helper) and a perfectionist - does great work. I feel bad for him.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 3 2011, 06:17 PM) *

I thought I spotted a windsheild in the classifieds for you but it may be sold. dry.gif

BTW: the windsheild in the Alien is cracked too. LMK if you fine more than one. I have insurance but all the local glass guys play dumb when you ask them to source a factory windshield.

Hi Rick,

Will do - I will now look for 2 - thanks.

BTW - The secret package is in the mail to you! biggrin.gif
McMark
Are you asking them for P/N 914 541 101 10? Call another Porsche dealership like Sonnen or Stoddard to have them check availability.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 3 2011, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 3 2011, 06:17 PM) *

Hi Rick,

Will do - I will now look for 2 - thanks.

BTW - The secret package is in the mail to you! biggrin.gif

I received an email notice. shades.gif I have been waiting for the mailman for the last two days... morning1.gif

Thanks! biggrin.gif The boss sent the pp
Kansas 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 3 2011, 06:48 PM) *

Are you asking them for P/N 914 541 101 10? Call another Porsche dealership like Sonnen or Stoddard to have them check availability.

That is a good point - and the answer is no. I was getting my other car serviced there and I walked over to the Porsche side and into parts. I said I wanted a winsdshield and he asked the obligatory questions - model and year. He quoted me a price but none in the system. According to TC the price quoted was spot on - but "THE COMPUTER SAID" none available and can't be ordered. I now know that was bull...

TC can get one ordered from from Germany to the dealer in St. Pete but the shipping will have to be tacked on form St. Pete to Kansas as he can only order to his dealership...

As a side note - this car originally was delivered new from Stoddard.

EDIT: I just looked at parts on Stoddard.com - nothing matched my search..... But I will call them Friday
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 3 2011, 06:54 PM) *

I received an email notice. shades.gif I have been waiting for the mailman for the last two days... morning1.gif

Thanks! biggrin.gif The boss sent the pp

I only sent it Priority Mail not Super Dooper Overnight to Duluth Alien Special Delivery! smile.gif

PS. I didn't get to the post office the day the email went out - that happens automatically when I print the postage - sorry.
scotty b
just goes to show what idiots painters are dry.gif

Car looks drooley.gif though smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 3 2011, 07:14 PM) *

just goes to show what idiots painters are dry.gif

Car looks drooley.gif though smile.gif

He is a perfectionist like you - a super nice guy like you - idiots - not a chance!

Shit happens - he will make it right - good guy in my book and I will take my '74 to him for some minor touch-ups this summer without blinking and eye. Though I won't let him trailer it!!! smile.gif

Kraftwerk
That willow green, looks great!
SUNAB914
Getting a windshield should not be that difficult. $400.00 max/shipped
Kansas 914
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Mar 4 2011, 12:45 PM) *

I did find the XYG (Chinese) one on eBay last night for about that price - but I really want a Sigla. This car is going to be a concours resoration for the most part and there would be a deduct for the windshield I think. I am already doing some things that will be deductions but trying to get it back as close as I can to the day it rolled out of the showroom.

WWPD = What Would Pat Do smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 4 2011, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Mar 4 2011, 12:45 PM) *

I did find the XYG (Chinese) one on eBay last night for about that price - but I really want a Sigla. This car is going to be a concours resoration for the most part and there would be a deduct for the windshield I think. I am already doing some things that will be deductions but trying to get it back as close as I can to the day it rolled out of the showroom.

WWPD = What Would Pat Do smile.gif

agree.gif first.gif
Ferg
Checking on a local one here in Boulder for you, I should know if it's a sigla today.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 4 2011, 02:10 PM) *

Checking on a local one here in Boulder for you, I should know if it's a sigla today.

Thanks Ferg,

My business partner lives in Parker - I could use a road trip!!

EDIT: Hmmm - what is Eric driving on his BIG Adventure - room for a big piece of glass???
Kansas 914
UPDATE:

I spoke to Safelite today and they show the piece as "Limited Availability". That means they have to turn it over to another deprtment for price and availability. I will know in a few days. I also asked them to find out who makes the glass.

I will update here as I get them.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there is plenty of the Chinese stuff out there us not included. However the factory windshields can be had in seven days for an extra 100 dollars that Porsche would charge to expedite. Clear and tinted are available in one week from germany for the expedited charge on top of about the 500 dollar price. Chinese (which I MUST say fit well) are 265.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 4 2011, 03:02 PM) *

there is plenty of the Chinese stuff out there us not included. However the factory windshields can be had in seven days for an extra 100 dollars that Porsche would charge to expedite. Clear and tinted are available in one week from germany for the expedited charge on top of about the 500 dollar price. Chinese (which I MUST say fit well) are 265.

Thanks George,

I have a thread over in CW to see what they think the deducts would be for a windshield other than German.

I won't need an actual windshield for a month or 2 - as this roller has a million parts to be cadmium plated and installed - but I need to let my painter off the hook.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 4 2011, 02:23 PM) *

UPDATE:

I spoke to Safelite today and they show the piece as "Limited Availability". That means they have to turn it over to another deprtment for price and availability. I will know in a few days. I also asked them to find out who makes the glass.

Mike, Do you mean Sigla from Safelite? China? PPG? Did you order? confused24.gif

I followed up today on my open glass claim on the Alien today. Am Fam lost my claim. The glas company wouldn't come out to my house as they don't do classic cars unless they are in their shop. Because I have an oiling issue I wasn't going to get it done until spring.

My agent is sending the auto appraiser to my house to get this settled next week. I have a PPG in my car now.

Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 4 2011, 07:58 PM) *

UPDATE:

Mike, Do you mean Sigla from Safelite? China? PPG? Did you order? confused24.gif

I followed up today on my open glass claim on the Alien today. Am Fam lost my claim. The glas company wouldn't come out to my house as they don't do classic cars unless they are in their shop. Because I have an oiling issue I wasn't going to get it done until spring.

My agent is sending the auto appraiser to my house to get this settled next week. I have a PPG in my car now.

I didn't order yet from Safelite - they have to see if it is even available. I asked them to also find out who makes the glass if they do find one. It will be a few days before they know if they can get it....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 4 2011, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 4 2011, 07:58 PM) *

UPDATE:

I didn't order yet from Safelite - they have to see if it is even available. I asked them to also find out who makes the glass if they do find one. It will be a few days before they know if they can get it....

I'll let you know what my appraiser says too. This ought to be interesting.
Woody
We just sold one from our parts department a month ago. It came from Germany. Don't remember how much though. Ill check availability today if you want.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 5 2011, 08:03 AM) *

We just sold one from our parts department a month ago. It came from Germany. Don't remember how much though. Ill check availability today if you want.

aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 5 2011, 08:03 AM) *

Hi Woody,

That would be great - if it isn't too much hassle. There are a few others looking too and I don't want you to go to a lot of toruble if it is a duplication of efforts.

But I think a LOT of people are interested in the findings.

Cheers!
tat2dphreak
Mike, the car looks great!

I'll check with Wes and see if he knows of an extra windshield too... it sucks but I have faith you'll find one!

Beach914
Hey Mike
I've got an original intact winshield that I took out of my 76 parts car. It has the VW Audi nomenclature down on the lower driver corner. I need a windshield for my 74 project but I don't mind an aftermarket piece of glass.
Maybe we can come up with a deal to get me one if this is what you might be looking for...

Dave
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Mar 5 2011, 09:26 AM) *

Hey Mike
I've got an original intact winshield that I took out of my 76 parts car. It has the VW Audi nomenclature down on the lower driver corner. I need a windshield for my 74 project but I don't mind an aftermarket piece of glass.
Maybe we can come up with a deal to get me one if this is what you might be looking for...

Dave

Thanks Dave - I will keep that in mind. I will check with th CW guys - and see what they think too.

Is that the VW sticker (CA cars) or is it actually "etched" in the glass?

Cheers!
rick 918-S

Hey Mike

Dave

That would work out really nice! Cool dave!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 5 2011, 09:15 AM) *

Mike, the car looks great!

I'll check with Wes and see if he knows of an extra windshield too... it sucks but I have faith you'll find one!

Hi Wayne - how the heck are ya?

I'm not to freaked out yet - my painter is (poor guy). I don't need to install the glass for many weeks - a lot to do in the mean time - I just need to find one so the painter can relax.
Beach914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 5 2011, 07:30 AM) *

Hey Mike

Dave

Thanks Dave - I will keep that in mind. I will check with th CW guys - and see what they think too.

Is that the VW sticker (CA cars) or is it actually "etched" in the glass?

Cheers!

Just checked....its etched.
brp986s
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 4 2011, 01:02 PM) *

Are the chinese windshields optically distorted? wacko.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 3 2011, 06:48 PM) *

Just called Carousel Porsche/Audi in Mpls. Retail price $ 531.31 plus tax with a two week wait. They show one windsheild in the states. I sent Mike an email and left him a message about the location of that glass. They show 19 in Germany and stated there would be no problem getting one shipped.

I have an adjuster coming over to settle my claim this week. I doubt I will get him to pay for a Sigla since I have a PPG in my car now.
Ferg
Finally heard back on the one in Boulder, it's not a sigla sorry...
Eric_Shea
Please do not drink all of the Scotch. I'll need it for my impending visit. Helps calms the nerves as I drive. biggrin.gif

Cayenne should be able to transport if you find something out this way.

Great start BTW! smilie_pokal.gif
krazykonrad
You might want to check with the guys at Parts Obsolete. They have a pretty large selection of NOS stuff, including a good bit of 914.

Konrad
Kansas 914
UPDATE:

Thanks to intel from Rick Ollah - my local Porsche parts person was able to find the windshield he found in Atlanta. I bought it today and it should be here by the weekend.

Thanks to all that helped on this -

Eric: You can thank Rick for saving you some Scotch - as soon as he was on the case I could relax and put the bottle down - hope to share some with you on your Big Adventure - Cheers! beer3.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 14 2011, 09:43 AM) *

UPDATE:

Thanks to intel from Rick Ollah - my local Porsche parts person was able to find the windshield he found in Atlanta. I bought it today and it should be here by the weekend.

Thanks to all that helped on this -

Eric: You can thank Rick for saving you some Scotch - as soon as he was on the case I could relax and put the bottle down - hope to share some with you on your Big Adventure - Cheers! beer3.gif

WooHoo! dance.gif assimilate.gif Glad to help. I lucked out and called the right MN Porsche dealer. He showed 19 in Germany and 1 in in stock Atlanta. I pm'd Mike right away.

I received a check for my windshield from my insurance company. I'm not sure it will cover the cost of a Sigla windshield though... dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.