Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smelling like gas inside the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
So I started her long enough to move her out of the garage to clean up the garage. She was on for less than 30 seconds.

Moved the 914 back in the garage and continued on doing what I was doing.

A week later I come out to detail the car and open it up and it smells like gas. Not a STRONG helping, but definitely noticeable. I'm guessing since it was cold that perhaps some of the smell of it running rich came back in the cabin area?

My actual fear is that isn't the case, but that one of the old lines running through in the cabin area may have a tiny crack or is letting a small leak out. I know they aren't a pressurized line, but I'm unsure what to think. I am unable to track down where it's coming from, but it's the second time now I've smelled it.

I want to preserve the originality of the car, if it comes down to replacing the lines, are they available? Or will i need to go to the stainless hardlines that are available? I want the car to be safe, but at the same time preserve the original stuff in it.
bandjoey
Gas cap loose or overflow line disconnected? Fuel pump clamp or pump leaking? Might try those first.
PeeGreen 914
A crack or a leak is generally going to be a strong smell. At least from my experience.
corsepervita
Thanks guys I'll check those first. Jim was nice enough to replace all the gas soft lines before I purchased the car, even the filter and the small line to the filter. I'll double check and make sure it's all snug. I can't smell it outside the car, just in the car.

I'm working on the 911 today so I'll probably pull it aside and check the 914 while I'm at it. Will report back my findings.
Kirmizi
Check the hoses and clamps below the tank.
windforfun
My mechanic is an old 914 guy from the old country. He claims that the clear plastic lines never go bad. FYI.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 4 2011, 04:28 PM) *

My mechanic is an old 914 guy from the old country. He claims that the clear plastic lines never go bad. FYI.

av-943.gif blink.gif I have lines I could send to him that say otherwise dry.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Mar 4 2011, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 4 2011, 04:28 PM) *

av-943.gif blink.gif I have lines I could send to him that say otherwise dry.gif

I believe it. SS here I come.
corsepervita
Alright, all the lines are nice and tight, things look good. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from till I was on the floor looking for a part in my garage the other night. I was over looking by the tire on the 914 in the back and then the smell of gas hit me. I realized it's coming in the back near the fuel filter. Either a line backed off or one of the lines has a slow leak, it was pretty strong. I'll jack it up this week and check it out back there. Everything in the front and the middle seemed fine from what I could tell. DEFINITELY coming from the rear.
Socalandy
this is why I ordered lines from Tangerine pray.gif $$ well spent IMO
corsepervita
I really REALLY want to preserve the originality of this car. But those plastic lines make me criiiiinge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.