Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
After watching Dr. Evils DVD half a dozen times I decided to tear down a transmission that had been "rebuilt" for me a few winters ago. After pulling out the gearstack I found that one of the shift fork bolts was loose and attributed that to shifting problems when the tranny was originally installed in the car. Tonight I realigned the sliders and forks and everything appeared to shift smoothly, until I tried 1st.

After engaging 1st gear and spinning the shafts I realized that the slider was binding on the washer under the castellated nut on the pinion shaft (see pictures). Has anyone encountered this before? What might be causing this? At first I though the wrong washer was used, but given the pin in the nut is aligned properly I'm thinking this is not the case. Any thoughts?

Click to view attachment
vintage914racer
Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
Wrong washer. That is an aftermarket part. You can fix this by pulling the washer and either grinding it down, or finding a washer with the right OD.

Inspect everything else, the person who "rebuilt" that did not know what they were doing.
vintage914racer
Thanks, Doc!

I was hoping it was the washer. I'm a bit surprised I found two problems upon tearing the transmission open. The guy who rebuilt it, while retired for several years, has more experience working on Porsches than I have years and has probably forgot more than I will ever learn...Maybe he's forgot more than I thought.

I'll take a close look at the rest of the transmission to make sure nothing else appears funky.
Dr Evil
Oddly enough, most techs dont rebuild transmissions so while they have a million years as Porsche techs, they dont know much about the gear box. I do builds for these folks from time to time, too wink.gif
vintage914racer
Sourced the correct washer from a core I had in the garage and the transmission is now shifting like butter. If it wasn't for Dr. Evils video and support on the forum I could not have figured it out. Thanks!
Dr Evil
Good to hear thumb3d.gif
yeahmag
Just started watching the vid myself and I've been trying to decide what is the right drink for the viewing; single malt scotch or California IPA's?
vintage914racer
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 16 2011, 01:32 PM) *

Just started watching the vid myself and I've been trying to decide what is the right drink for the viewing; single malt scotch or California IPA's?

I watched the video a few times and I'm pretty sure I had both
Dr Evil
Scotch smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.