Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bahia Red 1973 914 2.0 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
siverson
For sale: A very, very nice Bahia Red 1973 Porsche 914 2.0. The most desirable year and model, and this one is in fantastic condition. I've owned it for about 3 years, planned on never selling it, but times change (and baby #2 is on the way). It was restored by the previous owner about 7 years ago, and has traveled about 35,000 miles since. This is a very, very nice 914 that looks great, drives great, handles great, sounds great, and operates like a 914 should. It has not been modified like so many 914s have, and is a pleasure to own and drive.

Price reduced: $13,509.14 OBO

Located in Oceanside, CA (35 minutes north of San Diego)

Photos here:

http://s546.photobucket.com/albums/hh421/bwana914/Bahia_914/

I've owned 914s for 19 years (still have another -6 that is not for sale) and this is one of the nicer 914-4s I've ever seen. It's not a concours car, but is a very, very nice driver. When cleaned up, it presents well at car shows and "wash and shine" divisions. There are no major problems and you could pick up this car and drive across the country tomorrow.

Please note that I just took these photos today - before, during, and after washing it (I wanted to clean the inside of the wheels and wheel wells). The car does drip a little oil (any air cooled Porsche that does not leak oil must be out of oil), but the "wetness" you see in these photos is from my washing. And I took some photos of the "dirty" (not so much) wheel wells before I started. I also pulled the bottom of the rocker panels off (left the rivets in on the top) to clean them up and take some photos of the perfect rockers for this ad.

Recently replaced parts:

Boge front struts (~1 year old)

Windshield. It cracked and replaced it with an aftermarket windshield about 6 months ago. Looks great. I never put the rear view mirror back on (I'm tall and just prefer to drive without it) but it can be easily re-attached if you want it (the part comes with the car).

Refinished wheels. I had the stock wheels refinished by the Porsche wheel master Al Reed in LA and they look near-perfect (9.9/10). Factory-like anodizing.

Things that aren't stock:

Front bumper. I replaced the pretty nice chrome front bumper with a reproduction, stainless steel Harrington group bumper. I also had this bumper custom made with no holes for the standard 73 bumper tips (just my preference not to have them) and no front license plate holes. It costs $969 + shipping from Taiwan, but it's absolutely amazing (IMO). This is the best 914 front bumper I've ever seen. Perfectly flat, great reflection, and looks very clean with the holes removed. Of course, if you want, you could add those holes back.

Rear Koni shocks with 100# aftermarket springs on 3/4" perches. The aftermarket spring are a little firmer than stock (but still pretty soft and I think the softest that are available for the 914 today) and they normally lower the car about 1". The perches raise it back up 1/2" to 3/4". I just really like how stock 914-4s ride and handle with the stock tire size and close to the stock ride height. The lightweight wheels and tires really make these cars feel great, and I think many people lose that with bigger (even 195 or 205 tires) tires when the 2.0 four cylinder doesn't need a lot of rubber. Even with 165 tires (stock size) it handles amazingly well in corners and has *a lot* of grip.

Muffler is a true NOS 2.0 muffler (even has original VW logo on it which newer reproduction mufflers do not) that I had powder coated grey (stock is painted). Looks perfect and sounds great.

Passenger side view mirror. Common addition, a driver's side mirror can be added to the passenger side.

Antenna. I replaced the stock manual antennae with an electric Hirschman (sp). Looks good and much better reception that the factory antenna.

Head unit (radio), amplifier, speakers, subwoofer. The previous owner installed a pretty nice stereo that I told myself was the first thing I was going to pull out, but after my first 300 mile drive with the car I was hooked. It's loud, and has an 8" subwoofer in the passenger foot well where the factory foam filler (still have this part) is.

Steering wheel, but the stock wheel comes with the car. The original wheel is in "ok" condition (fair), but no major tears or problems. Just some nicks and scratches on it.

I replaced the faded "Press" sticker on the seatbelt latches with a "914" sticker.

I replaced the crack OEM shift knob with a very, very good reproduction shift knob. Same great classic 901 shift pattern and look. It looks stock, but isn't.

Tuna can for a little more oil capacity and holding on lateral G-forces. I don't think it's really necessary, but the previous owner added it and it works fine.

The factory rear sway bar has been removed (just my personal preference) but I have all the parts and it comes with the car.

Problems:

Rust (non structural) above the driver side latch. This is also a common 914 problem, even for cars that have been restored. There are (a) small holes that are not sealed that the sail trim attaches to, and (b) the inside corners over the rear fenders were sprayed with some type of foam filler from the factory that traps/absorbs moisture. When cars are refinished, this foam should be removed entirely and all the metal cleaned and prepped. This car wasn't and not that moisture is making its way through. Not a tough repair, but it's also not critical to warrant re-spraying this otherwise very nice paint. This is the biggest "problem" on the car.

Front bumper pad is "bumpy". it still looks and functions great, I'd give it an 8.0/10, but it has the very typical waviness that all the OEM ones develop over time.

The other day the top vent/defroster lever knob on the dash board control popped up. I still have the knob, it just needs to be reattached (and probably have the cables adjusted or something).

Interior. The interior is nice, totally functional, and comfortable, but it is the weak spot of this car. The carpet kit is a cheap reproduction (not correct loop) and I think some of the panels were originally brown and dyed black (or something) - I'm not quite sure. They look ok, there are no major tears, it's just not up to the quality and finish of the rest of the car. But it's still a pretty nice interior.

There are no little carpet patches behind the seats as there should be.

The front trunk is very clean, but is starting to show some very, very minor bumbling in the paint on the bottom of the trunk where it's common for these cars to develop rust.

The carpet in the front trunk needs to be re-glued on.

There is some discoloration/surface rust around the pedal cluster, but the metal is very solid. The provided photo makes it look much worse than it is.

I don't think the [rare] factory rear defroster works. Why you'd ever need a rear defroster in these cars is beyond me.

There is a tear in the heat/sound pad in the rear trunk.

Things to do:

The door latches should be cleaned. They work fine but are harder to pull than they should be. This is a common 914 problem (after not being cleaned for 10+ years). It's easy to do, I've just been overly busy lately (one of the reasons I'm selling the car).

The rear window should be re-mounted. I think it's loose along the bottom probably would leak water and it a bit louder than it should be.

There are some minor areas of overspray (front trunk springs, vent tubes, etc) that should be cleaned up. These are actually really surprising because otherwise it looks like the car was considerably disassembled before painting. Maybe this is from an even older paint job or ?

The original *factory* tire is still on the spare wheel. It has never been used. It obviously couldn't be used now, I just didn't have the heart tear it off.

Re-attached the "914" and "2.0" emblems if you want to.

IPB Image
siverson
Price reduced again!
siverson
Bump!
Cairo94507
Just like it rolled off the showroom. Terrific example.
siverson
Bump! Price reduced again!
Cairo94507
Hello Siverson, I could not get the picture link to open. I still love your car BTW and someone is going to be very happy.
trojanhorsepower
I can't get the picture link to work either.
I would really like to see some more pictures of this car.
siverson
Hi - sorry about the dead photos link. I just re-posted them here:

http://s546.photobucket.com/albums/hh421/bwana914/Bahia_914/
dp914
Is the car still on the market ?
If so, please send your contact info to dpct@sympatico.ca
Tkx
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 9 2011, 11:06 PM) *

Sorry - don't think it rolled off the showroom with that SERIOUS rust above the door handle! Decent car, but WAY overpriced.

I'm not demeaning the car, or the owner. It just has too many negatives to command a "California" price.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 16 2011, 05:03 PM) *

Sorry - don't think it rolled off the showroom with that SERIOUS rust above the door handle! Decent car, but WAY overpriced.

I'm not demeaning the car, or the owner. It just has too many negatives to command a "California" price.

Hi Pat,

I don't agree with your statement!! This is a very clean car with a few issues, but it's the best year of the 4-cyl cars and the red paint is a standout. Future demand for this combination is going straight up on 2.0 liter cars. If it was perfect the price would be $20K ot $25K. Siverson you are OK on the price. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 16 2011, 06:47 PM) *

Hi Pat,

I don't agree with your statement!! This is a very clean car with a few issues, but it's the best year of the 4-cyl cars and the red paint is a standout. Future demand for this combination is going straight up on 2.0 liter cars. If it was perfect the price would be $20K ot $25K. Siverson you are OK on the price. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom

agree.gif and second that
MoveQik
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 16 2011, 06:03 PM) *

Said it before and I'll say it again, I will never understand why people feel the urge to go in and trash someone's classified ad. A complete jackass move IMHO.

Good luck with the sale, looks like a nice car! beerchug.gif
siverson
> Siverson you are OK on the price.

I know, but thanks for the support.

> If it was perfect the price would be $20K ot $25K.

Yup, and you'd probably spend $40k to build that $25k car.

> I will never understand why people feel the urge to go in and trash someone's classified ad. A complete jackass move IMHO.

I agree, especially when they haven't even seen the car in person.

> SERIOUS rust above the door handle

This rust is obviously a problem, but I don't think it's serious. If it was and was going to cause major problems, I would have it repaired, but I think it's many, many years from causing serious problems and otherwise the paint is too nice to mess with it.

And just for reference, I recently went through a very similar repair on my orange car (was getting other paint work at the same time) and the repair is pretty straight forward. My guess is it's $400-$1500 to completely fix, depending on the shop and what it really looks like once you get in there.

Here are photos of the repair on my orange car (not this car for sale). The brown stuff inside is foam (not rust) that was removed.
pete000
I saw this car in person and it can win concours trophies ! smilie_pokal.gif
Slick914
Siverson bought this car from me a few years ago. It was indeed a great car. I'm sorry to see that rust popped through. sad.gif It's by no means structural rust or a serious problem though. Simple fix, but obviously should be done when the car is due for a paint job. The interior was also really nice, but might not of held up very well in the CA sun? I just say that because siverson said it wasn't up to par with the rest of the car. The "cheap" carpet kit came from Morph, and looked good when I installed it. I also had the seats recovered, installed the stereo, and aftermarket steering wheel. The car ran and handled great! If I can be of any help as far as questions about the car, just pm me.

Here's the pics I took of the car before siverson came to buy it... http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/phi...4-09/?start=all

The Fuchs siverson has on the car are the originals. I didn't have them on the car because they needed to be refinished at the time.
siverson
Hi Slick914,

Good to hear from you.

> The interior was also really nice, but might not of held up very well in the CA sun?

Yes, the interior is nice, just not as solid as the rest of the car (IMO). It has been garaged the whole time out here.

-Steve
siverson
And back on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Very-nice-B...0-/110691657404

-Steve
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 16 2011, 07:47 PM) *

Hi Pat,

Tom

Tom,
As I said originally, this car is a decent 914. It's better than most Ohio cars, but that layered rust on the driver's side is going to be expensive to repair. That was a warning to potential buyers, not a "dis" on this car. It's way better than most and the price is certainly fair. I apologize to any hurt feelings for being honest.

If I weren't on the lurk for an original six I'd probably buy this car. The color is right too!
Pat
Cairo94507
Pat - You are on the lurk for a six.....let the fun begin. Happy hunting and I hope you can find one that fits your criteria for a fair price. I have no doubt you will turn it into a beautiful example regardless of the condition in which you buy it.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 1 2011, 06:05 PM) *

Decent car, but WAY overpriced.

That was a warning to potential buyers.

It's way better than most and the price is certainly fair.

Pat

That is a bullshit way of back peddling. Now that you have come in and mucked up a guy's ad, which is it? "WAY overpriced" or "certainly fair"? You don't need to "warn" buyers when an issue is fully disclosed by the seller in the first place. rolleyes.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 1 2011, 07:30 PM) *

Pat - You are on the lurk for a six.....let the fun begin. Happy hunting and I hope you can find one that fits your criteria for a fair price. I have no doubt you will turn it into a beautiful example regardless of the condition in which you buy it.

Thanks!

This one will have to be turnkey - getting too old for a project!

Fully expect to pay for it.

Sorry for the hijack!
Pat
siverson
Car sold today. Sorry to see it go, but I think it found a good home.

Buyer paid for a PPI at John Chambers's shop and they were very impressed by the car. This was my first time meeting them and it seems like a good shop - with some really neat projects underway.

-Steve
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 2 2011, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 1 2011, 06:05 PM) *

Decent car, but WAY overpriced.

That was a warning to potential buyers.

It's way better than most and the price is certainly fair.

Pat

That is a bullshit way of back peddling. Now that you have come in and mucked up a guy's ad, which is it? "WAY overpriced" or "certainly fair"? You don't need to "warn" buyers when an issue is fully disclosed by the seller in the first place. rolleyes.gif

You are right! I was wrong! Bad form on my part! Sorry!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.