Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-install transmission cone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I'm fixing a transmission leak with the transmission still in the car. I took the tail cone off and can't get it back. It doesn't seem to line up right. The studs are skewing the alignment so I can't get it to seat.

Any tips?

76-914
QUOTE(blitZ @ Mar 6 2011, 01:10 PM) *

I'm fixing a transmission leak with the transmission still in the car. I took the tail cone off and can't get it back. It doesn't seem to line up right. The studs are skewing the alignment so I can't get it to seat.

Any tips?

is the cut washer lined up correctly?
blitZ
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 7 2011, 12:29 AM) *

QUOTE(blitZ @ Mar 6 2011, 01:10 PM) *

Any tips?

is the cut washer lined up correctly?

Yes, but it's not even getting that far. The threads of the studs are grinding against the holes in the cone. Does it matter where the transmission is supported?
Dr Evil
blink.gif

Pics?
Richard Casto
As said, pictures would be good. Did you bend a case stud while the tail cone was off?

You can also temporarily remove the reverse idler stuff to make sure it mates up properly. Then once that is worked out, you can put it all back and do it for real.

Richard
blitZ
I started working on this again today. I can get the cover on with the reverse idler removed, just can't get it on with it installed. I tried sticking my finger in to move it around till the teeth mesh with no luck. Any tips for this?
Dr Evil
Your doing it wrong poke.gif

Are you SURE that you have all the bits in the correct order?

Again...pic?
Cap'n Krusty
You have to slide the idler assembly outward on its shaft to get it located properly. It actually seats before the nose cover does. The thick washer and the flat needle bearing go on the intermediate plate first. I use a little heavy grease to hold them in place while I slide on the remaining pieces.

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
What John said.
Dr Evil
? is your speedo drive still in the cone? This can stick up assembly. Remove it if it is still in and then try to put the cone on.
blitZ

That did the trick, thanks Captain and all.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 12 2011, 10:41 AM) *

You have to slide the idler assembly outward on its shaft to get it located properly. It actually seats before the nose cover does. The thick washer and the flat needle bearing go on the intermediate plate first. I use a little heavy grease to hold them in place while I slide on the remaining pieces.

The Cap'n

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.