Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare pics of the JaideCar "Meras" 914 and...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
In the early 80's, the Archibald brothers - Jeff and Jim had lots of 914 ideas with their JaideCar company and a VW tranny business called Transform next door. They produced nice stuff like raised spindles and beefed up transaxles for VW sand rails. They wanted to market a modular car with a new body and V8 conversions. They only built two cars and several V8 kits. One of the cars was wrecked and the other is in storage of which Jeff would sell for $20k. He said that was a fraction of what they put into it. They ended these 914 projects and continued to make VW parts now sold through So Cal Imports. The major difference with them and Renegade or Simpson at the time was they had a cast aluminum bellhousing and a Chevy ring gear that allowed use of a stock Chevy starter. (No KEP adapters) Most conversions used a high torque Porsche starter. They also mounted a GM big block water pump to the side but later changed to the typical impeller type. One of the ideas they prototyped was dual rabbit radiators in the engine compartment to eliminate front trunk modifications. They couldn't make that design work so they used a laid down Camaro radiator in the front trunk that exhausted through the bottom. This allowed for a spare tire and retained some luggage space. Some have made that design work but I couldn't. Another unique product they designed for high horsepower engines was a shortened 915 tranny with a patented internally and externally splined intermediate shaft housed in a 3.75" cast housing to use a Chevy clutch.
neo914-6
The car was very well made and the design was unique for it's time. Apparently they exhausted the air up the hood on their car. I'm not sure if the headlights raised in the front or lowered at the back. You can see the rounded CanAm type windshield which is expensive to tool. Yes, I asked Jeff what happened to them and he said the tooling was destroyed. Everything on the car has been redesigned except for the side glass and targa top. They didn't appear to do much with the interior either.
neo914-6
In this view you can see how forward the windshield extended. You can also see the 924 back glass. I forget what tail lights were used. It's too bad they didn't continue producing these products...
Mueller
that is neat....this has got to go under "classics"

it would be nice to have pictures of your Jaide custom cast parts as well as pictures of how RH and RS do thier adaptors for comparison.
neo914-6
Here's a pic at Brad's. He said it was the only good thing about the Jaide conversion. I have the basic kit. The 915 bellhousing adapter was cast much deeper for the intermediate shaft. I'll have to scan those from the brochure...
neo914-6
Renegade billet adapter...
neo914-6
KEP adapter...They tell me they supply to Rod Simpson.
neo914-6
Here's the Jaide 915 setup...
skline
So is this car going to be at the WCC? It would be cool to see it in person.
neo914-6
Very unlikely as Jeff hasn't participated in any forums I told him about. When I tracked his number and spoke to him last year he said the car was in storage and was interested in selliing it. I believe it was in storage for many years if not over a decade. All tooling or patents were out of his possession. I don't know what drove the end of this venture but apparently he has no current interest in Porsches. If you're interested in speaking to him or seeing this car PM me and I'll give you his number. It should be close to Long Beach...
rick 918-S
Very interesting.... Too bad the builder lost his fire.
McMark
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 1 2004, 09:31 AM)
that is neat....this has got to go under "classics"

it would be nice to have pictures of your Jaide custom cast parts as well as pictures of how RH and RS do thier adaptors for comparison.

I've been pondering the idea of developing a 914 history. Maybe appoint a historian to collect and combine information and make a living document. With so many members and so many resources it is a prime opportunity to bring these minds together (prototype car, LE info, etc) and create an "Unabridged 914 History". Maybe even print a book someday with member car pictures and such along with the history. Could be just the sort of thing to spread the 914 obsession as well as raise our car values.
Bleyseng
Get Wayne to do it as he likes to write books.
dflesburg
Too bad they used a 914-6 to make that Mazaratti looking thing...

That whole late 70's - 80's supercar looking craze is not missed by me.

Kinda reminds me of the Faraha Faucet hair thing... glad its gone!

barf.gif
rhodyguy
nifty machining. esp when you consider the primative tooling by todays standards.

kevin
GTeener
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Oct 18 2004, 05:19 AM)

barf.gif

agree.gif

Doesn't work for me icon8.gif
dinomium
Is that the same Jeff that builds engines for SoCal Import Motor supply? Holding tounge for now....
<_<
skline
Hey, I was in love with Farrah Faucett back then, she was way hot. I like the big hair. I dont much care for the way that car looks though, took too much away from the 914 and made it look american.
Lou W
Looks to me something that you'd see David Hasselhoff driving icon8.gif
dmenche914
If anyone is interested, I have a Beach Boys conversion car for sale on the want ads, it is modified but not as much as this car. There are a couple photos posted in the ad (towards the end of the ad replies, i had great trouble with the camera/computer). So search to the end of the ad for the photos.

Any interest, please let me know.

dave
dinomium
QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 18 2004, 11:27 AM)
Looks to me something that you'd see David Hasselhoff driving icon8.gif

agree.gif Yeah, that is pretty bad!
But Lets see what Gary and David think?

Oh those TV folks!! They LOVE IT!
neo914-6
Is that the same Jeff that builds engines for SoCal Import Motor supply? Holding tounge for now....

If it is Jeff or Jim Archibald, then yes.

You guys crack me up if you think this car looks like a Maserati. Alot of flak from people who own a car that many consider "ugly". Maybe it's "chip on the 914 shoulder" syndrome. laugh.gif
I think the 914 is an honest functional design, perfect for the underdog in all of us!
Felix
Lou W
Posted on Oct 18 2004, 09:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (dflesburg @ Oct 18 2004, 05:19 AM)

Mazaratti Looking Thing? I think it has the front end of a Dodge Daytona Charger, the sides of a Chev Monza, the back of a Renualt Fuego, and the wheels came off of my 1974 Datsun Pickup. wacko.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 18 2004, 11:18 AM)
Hey, I was in love with Farrah Faucett back then, she was way hot. I like the big hair. I dont much care for the way that car looks though, took too much away from the 914 and made it look american.

agree.gif

Farrah was hot in those days. I tried to find a picture of the famous swimsuit poster on the web. Nothing.

I could do without the car though. Too far off from a 914.

-Jeff
dinomium
Happy pix day to you Jeff...
scruz914
QUOTE(dinomium @ Oct 18 2004, 05:43 PM)
Happy pix day to you Jeff...

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
dan10101
"Hello Angels!" wub.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Oct 18 2004, 08:19 PM)
"Hello Angels!"   wub.gif  

Said in the voice of John Forsythe....
BatAc
From the side it reminds me of a bricklyn.
rick 918-S
Come on guy's... You've got to appreciate the tremendous amount of work it took to create that car. With all the guy's we have here that can't seem to finish one daily driver.... these guy's did Two complete custom cars with one off parts! I'm not sure I like every line but I personally love the windsheild! That would have been a cool generational style change on our little cars. Cab forward look.
Mueller
i think the car is cool...the wheel wells should be rounded instead.....I think baseing this car on the 914/[b]6[/6] was a good idea...I'd give my left-nut to be able to design, build and produce a car.....actually, to save my family jewels, I'd love to design, build and produce a "trike" smash.gif
dinomium
I dont think that anybody who is on this forum discounts the time, effort and skill that went into the project. I am all about giving kudos for even undertaking it!
The end project is kinda like the Bertone creations of the Seventies.
Is it a cool car, yes.
Is it a COOL 914? I say no
MikeP
i have one of their 915 tranny setups, any idea what it would be worth?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.