Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thread size on the oil pressure sender ? (1.7 4cyl car)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hi, am just about to order some gauges from Mark (Big Mark) and before I order the gauges I need to tell him the thread size on the oil pressure sender of my car. He mentioned there are a few different ones, some metric others American sized. I thought they would be in Metric since our cars are European.

My car is a 1.7L 4 cylinder engine bored out to 2.2L with twin dell carbs. It has no aftermarket gauges for oil temp, pressure or anything other than the stock gas gauge, tach and speedo

I am away from my car for the next two weeks so don't have access to it and hoping to get my order on the way as soon as possible. Does anybody know the correct thread size please? Is it M10 or 1/8 or another size. I always thought they would be the same honestly have no idea.

Any help would be great, even better if so with pictures biggrin.gif

Thank you
McMark
M10 x 1.00
nsr-jamie
Thank you !! Now another dumb question? Can somebody tell me where the oil pressure sender is on my car? Is it next to the distributor? Do all car comes with one even if they have no oil temp or pressure gauges? Sorry for these dumb questions. biggrin.gif thank you
jaxdream
Yes it's next to the distributor . The little sender that operates the oil light in the gauge on the dash. If you are going to use a pressure gauge , there are senders available with the feature of suppling the gauge as well as the light. Some folks run a hose from the mounting port on the engine to this type sender mounted out of the way of the dizzy. Lots of the same guys use a grease gun hose to do this and there are some places to get a kit to do the hose adaption ( can't recall any at moment ) just be sure to get the fittings to adapt the hose , usually 1/8 pipe threads , to the engine block and the sender , McMark supplied the block and sender thread sizes. Very popular and has been done by a lot so someone should have pics of the setup , maybe in the classics thread. Good luck.

Jack / Jaxdream
nsr-jamie
Hi, thank you for the advice....I am not sure why but I am having problems understanding...I am trying to order a Quad gauge from Marks (Big marks) link here http://www.newvintageusa.com/bigmarkdesigngauges.html and he has asked me if my oil pressure sender is a M10 or a 1/8th...the problem is my car is not here so I have no access to go down and check it....and Big Marks car has a V8 in it so he is not sure either....I hope to order the correct part in the first order as shipping gets pricey from the US to Japan...sorry to sound like a dummy...its the first time I have ever tried to do any gauge work or upgrades on my car and really need some help. Thank you
Cap'n Krusty
The temp senders vary, and the sender MUST match the gauge. The pressure senders are all the same. 10mm x1.0 tapered, OR 1/8" NPT. Effectively, they're the same thread. If you want a sender for the pressure gauge, you'll have to add one, using a dual sender. We set them off from the T4 engine with a 12" grease gun hose, which has the correct thread. We then clamp the sender to the fan shroud, making sure its grounded through its case. No ground, no gauge operation. Some folks use a straight piece of pipe instead of the flex line. BAD move, The weight of the sender acts like a pendulum, and the pipe fractures or tears up the engine case, and all the oil leaves the engine, right now.

The Cap'n
nsr-jamie
Hi Cap'n,

Thanks for your help...you wouldn't happen to have some picture of that part with the hose you mentioned?

Also Mark has told me I now need a Taco plate and I have no idea what that is....I am confussed
kconway
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Apr 19 2011, 06:22 AM) *

Hi Cap'n,

Thanks for your help...you wouldn't happen to have some picture of that part with the hose you mentioned?

Also Mark has told me I now need a Taco plate and I have no idea what that is....I am confussed

The taco plate is the plate on the bottom of the engine that holds the temp sender in the case. It replaces the circular plate adjacent to the sump plate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.