Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 banger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
Gents, now that I have 4 banging away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOPPEEEE For the first time in a great while, I now would like to know why my 914 still backfires?? Not as bad as before with 3 and only sometimes 4[hit and missing] For those that have kept up to date, seems that along with snott buildup[lack of use] I had a new plug that was hitting only sometimes, who would have thought............ a new plug!
URY914
Is it b/f thru the carbs or out the ex. pipe?
VaccaRabite
Make sure you are timed correctly, valves are correct, etc.
Are your plugs fouled black? Give us some more detail.

Zach
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 8 2011, 06:07 PM) *

Out the exhaust, rev it up, decell 2 different sized booms?? Sounded cool when I was 16, not so cool at 55. Bob

Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 8 2011, 07:00 PM) *

Make sure you are timed correctly, valves are correct, etc.
Are your plugs fouled black? Give us some more detail.
Plugs are new, engine starts easy when hot/can bump start with starter, OLD plugs looked good but I had tried a couple of sets while trying to clear carb issue, then found 1 new plug that fired intermittely........... Changed that one again, smooth now. My British cars poom out the exhaust on decell, but its far more muted[cooler] the 914 is louder, but not so bad that cops draw there guns. Any thoughts on the Weber/bellcrank/linkage question?? Bob
Zach

URY914
You have an exhaust leak or an intake leak. Heater boxes are not tight to the heads or the intake manifolds are not tight to the heads. Replace the gaskets to start with.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Loud bangs are a leak. Take the car to an exhaust shop with a smoke machine. They will hook the smoker up to the exhaust pipe and the smoke will flow out of where ever the leaks are. Fix the leaks, fix the BOOM.

Zach
URY914
Smoke machine??? The 914 is a smoke machine! biggrin.gif

Put it on ramps or jack stands and let it idle. Crawl under and look for smoke.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 9 2011, 08:50 AM) *

agree.gif
Loud bangs are a leak. Take the car to an exhaust shop with a smoke machine. They will hook the smoker up to the exhaust pipe and the smoke will flow out of where ever the leaks are. Fix the leaks, fix the BOOM.
okkkkkkkkkkk Can do.
Zach

Jesse
Ok so I'm dealing with the same problem, You aren't blowing smoke up my bootyshake.gif
are you?
william1764
had same problem and took the above advice. smoke machine identified leak ource that i was unable to find on my own piratenanner.gif
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 8 2011, 07:07 PM) *

Exhaust pipe. Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(william1764 @ Mar 21 2011, 09:23 PM) *

had same problem and took the above advice. smoke machine identified leak ource that i was unable to find on my own piratenanner.gif

Bong pipe? LOL
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(william1764 @ Mar 21 2011, 09:23 PM) *

had same problem and took the above advice. smoke machine identified leak ource that i was unable to find on my own piratenanner.gif Bong pipe?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.